Home Non Cigar Related

A good cause for a great kid.....

lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
Hey guys,

I'm having my head shaved to stand in solidarity with kids fighting cancer, but more importantly, to raise money to find cures. Specifically, in honor of a friend's son, Jack, a six year old who was diagnosed with lukemia on Thanksgiving day 2 years ago. He's a tough kid who's going through a tough battle.

Please support me with a donation to the St. Baldrick's Foundation. This volunteer-driven charity funds more in childhood cancer research grants than any organization except the U.S. government.

Anything you can spare will give hope to infants, children, teens and young adults fighting childhood cancers. So when I ask for your support, I'm really asking you to support these kids. Thank you!

Here's the link to my donation page.

And what's a fundraiser without a raffle??? All BOTLs who donate (make sure to use your screen name when you donate) will be entered into a raffle for a generous pack of sticks.
Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..

Comments

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    PM to you sir...
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    donation made... good luck brother!
  • Done brother.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the donations!

I should mention that the event is March 11th.....
    laker1963:
    PM to you sir...
    replied, my good man...
    Should be a done deal Lilwing. My hat's off to you for doing this, very KEWL!
    laker1963:
    Should be a done deal Lilwing. My hat's off to you for doing this, very KEWL!
    Thanks a ton, laker! So far, three donations. Thanks to robbyras and rossdavey also.
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    Thats awesome wing, thanks for sharing this with us. Mines in.
    letsgowithbob:
    Thats awesome wing, thanks for sharing this with us. Mines in.
    Thanks, bro!!
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Donation made fella. hope it helps.
    One God, One Truth
    roland_7707:
    Donation made fella. hope it helps.
    Every bit helps! Thanks, bro!
    Bump.
    Looks like you hit your goal man. thanks for letting us help.
    One God, One Truth
    hows Jack doing?
    One God, One Truth
    Thanks to everyone for helping me reach my goal..... I'm still taking any donations I can get and the raffle is still open to anyone who donates. So, a small donation could win you a nice pack of smokes!

Jack is going through chemo right now. He was in the hospital for a while but is home now. He's day-to-day. Some good days, some bad days. He's a tough kid.
  • nikostewartnikostewart Posts: 451
    My prayers are with Jack and his family. Its hard to fathom the realities that kids and adults alike in his situation have to deal with but I hope the best for them. Thank you for doing this Marty!
    hows your shaved head look? better wear a hat. lol
    One God, One Truth
    Glad to hear you hit your goal and things are going in a positive direction!!!
    Tonight's the big night. I'll be bald in about 6 hours. Thanks again for all the support! I'll post up the winner of the contest in a few days. Gonna be a busy weekend and I start my vacation next week, so plenty of down time for Ccom tomfoolery!
    lilwing88:
    Tonight's the big night. I'll be bald in about 6 hours. Thanks again for all the support! I'll post up the winner of the contest in a few days. Gonna be a busy weekend and I start my vacation next week, so plenty of down time for Ccom tomfoolery!
    Ummmm, were you going to post a picture of your newly bald head just for **** and giggles? LMAo
    laker1963:
    lilwing88:
    Ummmm, were you going to post a picture of your newly bald head just for **** and giggles? LMAo
    Actually, if you click on the original link you can find the before n after shots.

BTW.... forgot about this for a while. robbyras has a nice pack coming his way. He won the raffle I did for all who donated. Congrats, bro!

Lots of money was raised for the cause. The event I participated in (one of many) raised over $150K alone. Thanks again to all donated!
    Now that's funny. It is crazy how much shaving your head can change peoples looks entirely. The amount you people raised for this great cause was amazing. Way to go Marty.
    The shaved head is a good look Brother!

I'm glad this was such a success... I'm pumped about the raffle win!!! woo hoo!! but I'm even more excited that I got to help out a little... I just wish I could have done more....
    robbyras:

I'm glad this was such a success... I'm pumped about the raffle win!!! woo hoo!! but I'm even more excited that I got to help out a little... I just wish I could have done more....
    Your prize pack went out today. Hope your mailbox is up to snuff..... mwahahahahaha!!!!
    lilwing88:
    robbyras:

Your prize pack went out today. Hope your mailbox is up to snuff..... mwahahahahaha!!!!
    my mail box is fine... but my tree is having some issues... lots of wind today

Photobucket
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    I hope the little guy gets into remission soon.
    I have a 16 month old son and my world would crash down if he got sick.
    God bless you, Jack and his family.
    ShotgunJohn:
    I hope the little guy gets into remission soon.
    I have a 16 month old son and my world would crash down if he got sick.
    God bless you, Jack and his family.
    Thanks for the kind words.

I have two of my own and we're lucky that they're both healthy, thank God. My wife has been friends with Jack's mom since grade school, so they're pretty close. It's been tough watching their family go through this, but they've been an inspiration. At the event, when Jack's mom got up and talked about their story, it took everything in me not to break down and cry. It's such a helpless feeling. But then you look at Jack, who's 6, running around with a big smile on his face, even though in the next day or two he's gonna be hooked up to God knows what machine and sick to his stomach for weeks, you get strength from that in a strange way. Here's a kid who's had probably the roughest hand of cards dealt to him and he's nothing but smiles.

Here's a link to their website:http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jackczapla

It's heartbreaking stuff, but it's also very inspiring.
    lilwin88 hit me with a NICE package... raffle winnings for his donation drive! Thanks Brother!

Photobucket
    Enjoy. Thos two small unbanded sticks are RP Vintage 2nds Maduro Petite Coronas. Very yummy.