Home Cigar 101

Xikar digital hygrometer calibration

I have two questions about a Xikar digital hygrometer:

1) How long does the battery ordinarily last? I replaced the first battery after 8 or 9 months, and the display is "flickering" again after another few months.

2) I calibrated using the salt test, and the hygro read 58% after 24 hours (ziploc freezer bag, salt in a bottle cap). Is it normal for the factory setting to be 17% off?

Curious here, as I'm new at this and wondering whether everything is working okay. Appreciate the help!

Comments

• zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Been having issues with mine. I did a salt test, was off by 8, then I did the boeveda and off by like 17 also. I just pressed calibrate and stuck it in with another hydro I trust a bit better and they both read the same in the cooledor so I think its ok. Thats how I just tested it.
  • bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    Thought I read somewhere to NOT do the salt test with the digitals. That this would not be good for the electronics. Can't seem to locate my source, so I could be mistaken. Please correct or confirm if this is misinformation or information.
  • MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    bearb:
    Thought I read somewhere to NOT do the salt test with the digitals. That this would not be good for the electronics. Can't seem to locate my source, so I could be mistaken. Please correct or confirm if this is misinformation or information.

If I remember when I calibrated mine the instructions that came with it mentioned doing the salt test. I used the boveda kit to calibrate mine and it was spot on.
  • rossdavey2rossdavey2 Posts: 979
    Ive had crap battery life with mine too. Think I am going to send it back to them for a replacement.
  • hey bro, i have two of these meters, they have been testing at 74-75% after the salt test, u might want to contact the company, and before that , double check the battery .... good luck.....
  • Thanks all for the replies. I calibrated the hygro to 75% after 24 hours in the bag & left it for another couple days - still at 75%. Should be good.

As for the battery, it seems to be loose, causing the display to flicker - a bit of paper between the battery & cover has solved the problem. We'll see how long it lasts...