Home Cigar 101

New Humi Question

gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
Got a new 150 count humi for my wedding anniversary (not a WaxingMoon, which is what I wanted, but I won't tell my wife that!) and am excited to fill it up. I'm going to use this for my "aging" humidor. I'll be done seasoning this weekend, will be using Boveda packs and have a digital hygro ready to go. My question is, do I need to introduce cigars to the humi slowly over time, or can I send a massive order into ccom and get what I want to fill it up? I've taken the wife's gift as tacit approval to purchase a boat-load of sticks-lol.

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Full humi's always maintain humidity better than a non-full humi, so I say drop them all in at once - just be aware your humidity is either gonna spike or drop when you introduce that many at once, and it doesn't mean anything. It should stabilize in a few days
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Happy aniversary bro. Keep peace in the valley by not mentioning the Waxing Moon, right on. Bought 100 for my 160 ct and pretty much filled it up, depends on ring gauge too. Humi seems to be alot more stable with it almost full. Current inventory in that humi around 125 and a little room for more. I say fill it up with premium and buy another humi.
  • gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    The3Stogies:
    Happy aniversary bro. Keep peace in the valley by not mentioning the Waxing Moon, right on. Bought 100 for my 160 ct and pretty much filled it up, depends on ring gauge too. Humi seems to be alot more stable with it almost full. Current inventory in that humi around 125 and a little room for more. I say fill it up with premium and buy another humi.
    I like the way you think...
    gripnrip:
    The3Stogies:
    I like the way you think...
    Small minds think alike, lol. My wife has been very tolerant of my new hobby but hasn't bought me a humi yet. Birthdays coming up though. Got my 160 humi loaded with Gurkha Crest (10), MoW (16), MoW Ruin (16) and some assorted, mostly AB, Cain, Joya de Nic, 5-Vegas AAA and Padilla. Top 3 are all sepeated with dividers. All are naked, no cello, just resting for a little over 2 months now. Trying to save them for summer vacation in August. When you open it and take a sniff it's getting really rich and fragrant, I can't wait. In my other humi I leave them wrapped in the cello. Just an experiment I'm trying. Waiting is the hardest part.
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Happy anniversary!
    Don't be shy about filling up the humi. We all agree that a humi will maintain itself better with cigars in it. Make sure that after a few days, you check the humidity to make sure it stabalizes withing a reasonable range. You don't want 100 sticks to get to moist or dry for too long. The first few days might be off, but after that it should settle down. I know it's hard to do, but try to leave the lid closed, lol.
    Enjoy

Oh s^*$t, I have to leave the lid closed??? Not going to be easy-ha! 100+ stick order on the way to ccom Monday! Thanks for the help guys.
    gripnrip:
    Oh s^*$t, I have to leave the lid closed??? Not going to be easy-ha! 100+ stick order on the way to ccom Monday! Thanks for the help guys.
    May want to pocket the invoice on that order when it comes in. My wife saw one I forgot in the box, was about $300. Didn't say anything at the time but it will come back to haunt me I'm sure.
    The3Stogies:
    gripnrip:
    May want to pocket the invoice on that order when it comes in. My wife saw one I forgot in the box, was about $300. Didn't say anything at the time but it will come back to haunt me I'm sure.
    One of the cool things about my wife (besides giving me humidors) is she doesn't really care how much I spend on my hobbies...I guess I'll keep her.
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    I just let the fiancee know that I have a box of Cohiba Sublimes on the way.....and she's OK with it! That's why I proposed! Well, not the only reason, lol.

• jfacianejfaciane Posts: 242
    As for storing cigars. Is it ok to have different cigars sitting next to and on top of each other? Will the tobaccos marry overtime and taste the same like this? Whats the best thing to do with a small 50 ct. humidor with about 20-25 cigars in it?