Home Cigar 101

Singles storage in Coolers

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
I have about 8 singles (ccom corona sampler) in cello laying on the bottom of the cooler. They have about 2 weeks of age on them and I've been maintaining good humidity levels (beads) and stable temps around 64F. I finally got around to lighting one (Ave Maria) and it was bitter (tasted burnt really) almost the whole way through. The cigar itself pre-light felt fine, I had no burn issues, and didn't have to relight it once.

My layout is a 50 quart cooler, beads in tupperware, 3 empty wooden cigar boxes, and the singles. No other metal, plastic, etc. I do open the cooler about 2 times a day so I assume the air purity is good. I don't leave the drain plug open though.

My question is how would I determine if this is a bad stick or improper storage in the cooler (singles shelf/box) until I smoke another stick? Am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    You have 8 sticks in the bottom of the cooler? How big is the cooler? Are they the only cigars in the cooler?
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Honestly there's no way to tell until you have another stick.
    I wouldn't recommend leaving the singles just on the bottom of the cooler though. If you do have a humidity spike you want it to have some sort of insulation i.e. spanish cedar.

This is how I deal with singles in my cooler.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    you may be smoking too fast for the corona to handle well. as i have said in other threads, the corona size has a learning curve to it. just dont get discouraged.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Doesn't sound like the cooler to me. More like what Kuzi said or maybe the stick needs a little more rest.
    I agree with kuz here too. But if you only have 8 cigars in a cooler and you're not using active humidifaction, you're going to have problems.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    I agree with kuz here too. But if you only have 8 cigars in a cooler and you're not using active humidifaction, you're going to have problems.
    i love it when a good solution is "buy more cigars"
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    I use old cigar boxes, works like a charm.
    Light 'em up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    I did add a tray just in case. I'm working on it getting more sticks, haha. This is my first corona in a long time. I generally wait 30-60 seconds between puffs for the first half, then longer in the second half. Additionally, it was first my stick in probably 2 months so maybe that had something to play too.
    james40:
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    I did add a tray just in case. I'm working on it getting more sticks, haha. This is my first corona in a long time. I generally wait 30-60 seconds between puffs for the first half, then longer in the second half. Additionally, it was first my stick in probably 2 months so maybe that had something to play too.
    No man the issue here is if you aren't using an active humification system, like a cigar oasis, you need to be 75% full at minimum for proper humidification of the smokes. If you only have 8 cigars in there switch to a small tupperware container until you have enough cigars to be 75% full in that cooler.
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    We're like crack addicts.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    +1...don't just lay them against the plastic of the cooler. Use boxes or cedar trays to hold the sticks. From the flavor profile you reference....that doesn't sound like a humidity issue.
    Thanks - I just added 8 sticks from my first COTM shipment - the tray seems like a better option now. Once I get over my cold, I get to try some more. :-)

Stay smoking my friends.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    james40:
    I don't leave the drain plug open though.

What is this about leaving the drain plug open???

Well the one I bought has a drain plug. TBH, I don't know if it should or shouldn't be left open so that the air was exchanged/new everyday. I was stating it in case it was a tidbit that would help.
  • The HoosThe Hoos Posts: 42
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    We're like crack addicts.
    +1 LMAO!!
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I have to disagree with the statement about your cooler needing to be 75% full of cigars. I don't know where that number came from, but if your cooler is held at a proper 65 to 70% rh, proper temp, and has a good amount of spanish cedar to absorb any random humidity spikes or drops, the amount of cigars in your cooler makes no difference whatsoever. If you're using beads for humidity, they should maintain that proper rh.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    blurr:
    I have to disagree with the statement about your cooler needing to be 75% full of cigars. I don't know where that number came from, but if your cooler is held at a proper 65 to 70% rh, proper temp, and has a good amount of spanish cedar to absorb any random humidity spikes or drops, the amount of cigars in your cooler makes no difference whatsoever. If you're using beads for humidity, they should maintain that proper rh.
    Yes, the beads and cedar will be enough to hold humidity. Cigars are yet another thing to hold humidity so with more cigars in there it will be easier to hold a certain RH and faster to recover from opening the lid but not necessary.