Home Cigar 101

new..have questions

adrosadros Posts: 216
I just got my first humidor about a week and a half ago.  I put in my seasoning packets and filled the humidification resovoir.  Later in that same week I added ten cigars (about five days later) Is that long enough to season. I also still have the packets in the humidor. Should I remove them? Any other advice, I also have 16 more cigars coming today.  Cellaphane...on or off?

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    These topics have been beaten to death, resurrected through black magic, then tortured again until they die in a fit of spasms. If you want plenty of answers, just review the existing threads:

Seasoning: http://www.cigar.com/cs/search/SearchResults.aspx?q=seasoning&s=13

Cellophane: http://www.cigar.com/cs/search/SearchResults.aspx?q=cellophane&s=13

• adrosadros Posts: 216
    I'm sure they have.  Sorry that you actually had to spend time reading that. Thanks for the links, very helpful. Their seems to be a plethera of knowledge on here. Thanks.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    adros:
    I'm sure they have.  Sorry that you actually had to spend time reading that. Thanks for the links, very helpful. Their seems to be a plethera of knowledge on here. Thanks.
    the guys here teach me alot
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome. What does your hygrometer read? Pretty new at this myself but I have learned so much from the masters on this site. Took a couple of weeks to season my first one. Second one took a little less time but I learned from the first one. Just set a shallow dish of distilled water, water pillows and beads. Left them for a little over a week and all was fine.
  • adrosadros Posts: 216
    it was reading around 68-69%, i changed to the gel beads yeasterday and it droped to around 64-65%
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    I have never tried the packets but that is a pretty good % to have brother, now to maintain it. I currently have the beads in mine (Heartfeltindustries.com) and they seem to work great for maintaining humidity. They absorb and release moisture as needed to keep it at 65%. I overstocked it with bead pucks so it will come back quickly after opening. I do open it alot. And you will need another humidor, I should have heeded the advice here and gone with a 300 cnt. Got a 50 (70%rh) cnt for dailies and a 170 (65%rh) for storage and aging. As for cellphane; popular opinion says keep it on for protection. Rumaging around for a smoke can damage the fragile wrapper leaf. Also it doesn't affect flavor, aging and even helps against some infestations of beetles. That being said; all mine in storage are sans cellophane, they just look so much better. Open it stick your nose in and it smells great, but seriously, do not go by me on that, trust in the group. My daily smokes are all still cellophaned. Sounds like you are off to a better start than me, good luck.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    adros:
    and, more often, vice-versa
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    kuzi16:
    adros:
    and, more often, vice-versa
    almost everything i have learned about cigars has been from this forum or some incarnation of it (the OLD AmBack forum). i have followed links posted here and soaked up that info. i read just about every cigar link that comes across this board and i explore the site it came from. i have a list of bookmarks that is almost too hard to handle. the information that shows up on this forum is nothing short of amazing.