Home Cigar 101

Cigars Unwrapping

YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
I know I've seen this before, but I don't remember what the answer was. I keep my smoking and aging humidors at about 65 RH. I also switch the hygrometers to check them and the read the same when I switch them. I use beads in both.

What's been happening more and more lately is that just after I light up, the stick starts to unravel. It happens with several brands, so I don't think it's a wrapping problem. Also, it doesn't always happen.

Last night, my wife grabbed a Padilla out of the aging humi and she had the same problem. That's the first time it's happened with one from that humidor.

Is RH too high, too low, Help!

Comments

• ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    My personal opinion is that the sticks are a bit dry. I have had cigars unwrap when they are on the drier side.
    Maybe you should try to bump the RH to 68. You might try it. just my 2cents.
    Kuzi or others may have more info.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    How much are you cutting? Is it above the cap or are you cutting well below the cap? If you cut too much, it will unravel no matter what.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    wwhwang:
    How much are you cutting? Is it above the cap or are you cutting well below the cap? If you cut too much, it will unravel no matter what.
    +1, I was thinking this as well, but if its a new phenomenon then maybe not.

Most importantly, where is it beginning to unravel?
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm cutting above the cap. They usually unravel from the foot and from time to time from the smoking end.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Is it still cold in New York? Some of my cigars' wrappers crack when it burns in dry, freezing cold air.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Heck it still feels like winter in Jersey, Ithaca's gotta be COLD
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's still bleeping freezing here. We got up to about 40 today, but that the highest in two weeks!

The bad news is that I am smoking inside and they're still splitting.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    It sounds like your cigars are dry (that is if you're cutting above the shoulder). You said you keep your sticks at 65%, but when was the last time you calibrated or tested your hydro?? It might be off and causing your humi to be off a few degrees.

"Long ashes my friends."

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    it may not be that the cigars are to dry (65% is where i kept my humidor for years and never had the problem), but rather that the air you are smoking the cigars in is to humid. it is very difficult to smoke in a very humid environment.

on that note, i would switch to a punch cutter to eliminate all other variables.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    it may not be that the cigars are to dry (65% is where i kept my humidor for years and never had the problem), but rather that the air you are smoking the cigars in is to humid. it is very difficult to smoke in a very humid environment.

on that note, i would switch to a punch cutter to eliminate all other variables.
    Ditto to this. Tennessee is WAY humid, most of the time, and I've experienced this problem a number of times, especially when I was keeping the humidor at 65%. Not that 65% is the problem, but the difference between that and the ambient air may be contributing.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Amos Umwhat:
    kuzi16:

Ditto to this. Tennessee is WAY humid, most of the time, and I've experienced this problem a number of times, especially when I was keeping the humidor at 65%. Not that 65% is the problem, but the difference between that and the ambient air may be contributing.
    +1
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    +2, very humid here and happens to me frequently.
    Light 'em up.