Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Liga Privada No.9

kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
4-30-08 Been in humi since 3-14-08
Liga Privada No.9 by Drew Estates (6 x 52)
Wrapper: Connecticut Broadleaf
Filler: Cuban seed Honduran grown.

This Cigar is a rich chocolaty brown with a fair amount of sheen to it. It feels like there is still a bit of the “peach fizz” left on it. The smell is straw-like, almost barnyard (but I wouldn’t go that far. The lick on the cap pre-cut has a bit of a bite to it. Cut with a punch. There is some resistance but this is no surprise because the cigar has a very firm feel to it. A draw test yields an near perfect draw with a light coco taste.
A toast of the foot and we’re off…
The light is very quick. The aroma before the first puff is lighter than I would have expected. The first few puffs are on the sweeter side and bring a bit of white pepper to the sides of the tongue.

As the cigar settles from the light it gets a thicker texture to it and has a hopsy/vegetal flavor to it. (hops—the stuff from beer) The after taste is a bit on the leather side and the spice becomes milder.

The ash holds on tenaciously and finally drops at 1.5 inches.

At the 1/3 point I am surprised at the combination of power and subtlety. Not many cigars have this combination. The strength doesn’t smack you in the face either. It envelops you. …Yet somehow, the word “intricate” comes to mind. The vegetal note is in itself complex and the spice comes and goes. A coco taste also comes and goes. The aftertaste is where most of this is going on, and it is wonderful. It lasts just long enough, never overstaying its welcome. I think the aftertaste is the highlight of the cigar.

The cigar is strong and forces me to smoke slowly. It keeps the smoke cool and the flavor good. I find it very relaxing.

With about 1/3 of the cigar left a light toasty flavor emerges. It reminds me of toasted rye bread. Other than that the flavor is about the same. Its about this point that I am glad that I ate a large dinner before I smoked this cigar.

There were a few burn issues in the last 1/3 of the cigar but nothing major.
Smoked to the nub.
Burn time: about 2 hours.

Burn: 8
Draw: 9
Taste: 8
Aftertaste: 10
Construction: 10
Appearance: 9
Feel: 9

Overall: 9.0
4 smoke rings -- an above average cigar

Comments

• Options
    ashmasterashmaster Posts: 237
    Tremendous review...I could almost taste it. I bought one about the same time as you.....I might have to break it out this weekend. Thanks :)
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    buy? hu?
    this was won in the PIF. Phisherman picked it up at about the same time as you. (thanks phish!!) ...i may have to pick some up though. I was quite impressed. this is why i like the PIFs. Always something new to try in that package.
  • Options
    phishermanphisherman Posts: 79
    I got a bunch of these at Nerf V (Boston area annual Herf) and was giving them out left and right. I hope I saved some from myself.