Home Cigar 101

Even cut / center punch

How do you get an even cut? I have a guillotine cutter and I always wind up with an angled cut. And when I punch a cigar, I often don't get the punch in the center. Any hints on this?

Comments

• bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Rasputin:
    How do you get an even cut? I have a guillotine cutter and I always wind up with an angled cut. And when I punch a cigar, I often don't get the punch in the center. Any hints on this?
    Make sure your eyes aren't crossed when you cut it. LOL but seriously... before I cut a cigar, I close the guillotine so the blades are resting on the sides of the cap and check both sides and eye-ball the angle of the cutter against the side of the cigar, then i snap it. With a punch, I just eye-ball it.

• wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Try putting the cutter on a flat surface. Works like a charm if you don't trust your ability to just eyeball it.

As for punches? Well, I usually don't do that. I prefer the looser draw and increased smoke output that you get from guilloutine cuts.
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    I like the draw of a full cut. I bring the blades of the guillotine to the cap, eye it to make sure its somewhat even and clip it. I used a punch about 8 years ago for a while but never really got into the punch thing. The clean cut is my perferred method. There isn't really a science to make sure it even and balanced. At least none that I know of. A cut is just a cut. Its the performance of the stick that bring me back for seconds.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Cuban Crafters Perfect cutter (I prefer the original over the redesigned one because of the thumb/finger loops); I know it's lazy, but that backing plate is just so damn convenient that it's my most used cutter, even though I have 2 Xikar Xi2's
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Once in a while I get a straight cut, but don't know why. As long as the cap is not damaged I'm happy. I think I read somewhere that an angle on the cut can give a better draw sometimes. There was also someone who used to cut a notch, like a V, for a different draw.
  • RasputinRasputin Posts: 7

Make sure your eyes aren't crossed when you cut it. LOL

It's the trifocals.

I tried the flat surface and that gave me a good cut, thanks.
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    Xikar or Wolf V-cutters are my favorite for a notch or V-cut.

The trick to a straight cut is that you aren't going to get one every time, unless you use one with a backplate, and practice makes better (there being no such thing as perfect).

As for the punch, I just eyeballed it back in the day when I used one. After a while a lot of people switch to the straight cutter or v-cutter because of the limited amount of smoke you get through the punch. That being said, I will still use a punch or a side punch on occasions, with cigars that make me nervous or ones that I know start out a little harsher than I prefer to cut down on the bitterness and/or harshness.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    there are some people out there that intend to cut on an angle. they say that there is better chance on a good draw. im not so sure about it but an angle wont hurt the cigar
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wwhwang:
    Try putting the cutter on a flat surface. Works like a charm if you don't trust your ability to just eyeball it.

As for punches? Well, I usually don't do that. I prefer the looser draw and increased smoke output that you get from guilloutine cuts.
    +1 on this. I do it with my Xikar and the cut is just the right depth and even, if you keep the cigar straight up.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Rasputin:
    Practice. You'll get it.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    DSWarmack:
    Xikar or Wolf V-cutters are my favorite for a notch or V-cut.

The trick to a straight cut is that you aren't going to get one every time, unless you use one with a backplate, and practice makes better (there being no such thing as perfect).

As for the punch, I just eyeballed it back in the day when I used one. After a while a lot of people switch to the straight cutter or v-cutter because of the limited amount of smoke you get through the punch. That being said, I will still use a punch or a side punch on occasions, with cigars that make me nervous or ones that I know start out a little harsher than I prefer to cut down on the bitterness and/or harshness.
    I will second DSWarmack's comment on the V-cutters. They wont work on a torpedo or perfecto sort of beveled end, but for anything else its pretty much a guaranteed perfect cut, every time.