Home Ratings & Reviews

Avo 85th Limited Edition 2011

j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
Cigar: Avo 85th Anniversary Limited Edition 2011

Vitola: 6.75"x50 Diadema

First third. Initially getting a lot of flavors all at once, pepper through the nose, sweet cedar with a creamy mouth feel and can't forget the Kelner musk, which is holding strong here. Strength starting off I'd say is medium +, maybe med-full. Beyond the taper, the strength starts to pick up and this one is definitely in med-full territory, leaning toward full. Flavors are largely the same but a bittersweet character has developed on the finish, my first thought is to call it caramel though that's not quite right. Burn characteristics are good, nice and even with a moderately firm, gray ash. Flavors are the same though the Kelner musk has really taken prominence and the pepper has largely faded. Getting to the end of the first third the pepper has returned in a small way through the nose.

Into the second third the strength has toned down to a solid medium+, not much else has changed, musk is still the predominate flavor with a touch of pepper through the nose and a bittersweet aftertaste with just a touch of salinity, reminds me of a green olive, bitter, sweet and salty. A toasty character has been developing a bit into the second third, quite nice in conjunction with the rest of the profile. Getting on to the final third and the flavors are staying the course, no real changes just minor shifts.

Final third and things are still pretty much the same with an additional leathery flavor and an intensifying of the Kelner musk and once again the pepper has faded, strength is holding at medium-full, so a slight bump from the second third. Still burning well, a slight touch-up was required due to me stalling out the cigar and the ash is holding solid, had it 1 1/4" long before knocking it off. Finished up on a creamy note just under the two-hour mark.

Final thoughts: Kelner and Avo have done it again, another fantastic entry in the Avo line and one of the best entries in the LE lineup. I was very impressed with everything about this cigar; perfect construction that led to a cool and pleasant experience to the nub, quite complex and never boring with a great flavor profile that any Avo fan should love.

Comments

• nice review. I'm intrigued, though the few AVO's I've smoked never did it for me. They weren't limited editions though!

• bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice review Joe, sounds like something I need to get. AVO was a cigar early on in my career and it didn't do much for me but this sounds very different that what I experienced before. Thanks Joe.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Hey Joe. Where did you get that and how much was it?
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Pm Wayne.
  • RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Pm Wayne.

Can I get a PM also?
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    must try one now.
    RCY Cigars:
    j0z3r:
    Pm Wayne.

Can I get a PM also?
    Done.
  • RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    RCY Cigars:
    j0z3r:
    Pm Wayne.

Can I get a PM also?
    Done.

Got it, thanks.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Nice review Joe. Did you end up going with a box, or just some singles? Do you think it's box worthy?
    Box, and absolutely.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Hey joe, how would you stack this up to other AVO cigars? I never dug the domain but do enjoy the maduro. I tried the LE from 2010 and thought it was okay. Were you wowed by those? Just curious as I seem to have been one of the few not overly impressed with AVO. Thanks and btw great write up.
    I'm an Avo fan, to me it stacks up very well against the rest of their line. I did like the LE10, was wowed initially but that has faded a bit, still think it's quite good. This one is hands down better, more complex, better balance, greater depth of flavor. The Avo maduro is ok, wasn't a huge fan of it myself.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    j0z3r:
    I'm an Avo fan, to me it stacks up very well against the rest of their line. I did like the LE10, was wowed initially but that has faded a bit, still think it's quite good. This one is hands down better, more complex, better balance, greater depth of flavor. The Avo maduro is ok, wasn't a huge fan of it myself.
    I love the Avo Maduro. Actually, one of the few maddies Im really crazy about. Im curious j0z3r, would you post a list, sort of a top 10 thing, ranking your favorite Avo sticks for us?

That's a tough one Glen. If I were to rank Avo cigars by my preference, it would probably be in three groups ranging from those I liked to those I really liked to those I think are fantastic. It might look something like this...

Avo cigars I like: Avo maduro, Avo 80th (likely to change, need to revisit), Avo XO, Avo Domaine

Avo cigars I really like: Avo Classic, Avo Signature, Avo 787, Avo Compañero, Avo LE08 Tesoro, Avo LE10

Avo cigars I think are fantastic: Avo 85th LE11, Avo Heritage, Avo LE07

That's about how it looks for my preferences, not saying anyone should agree, I'm not even sure I agree with some of them and will need further experience with particular lines to firm up exactly how I feel about them.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    interesting... i thought you would like the domaine better. to each their own i guess.
    Well, as I said there are some I need to revisit, the Domaine being chief among them. I think it says a lot for the brand though that there is not a one I didn't like.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Very true. Still working my way thru them all, but each one Ive had has been a winner so far. Odd that you dont hear a lot about them...

The Sniper:
    Very true. Still working my way thru them all, but each one Ive had has been a winner so far. Odd that you dont hear a lot about them...

Well, they're expensive, and most of them are price protected. Most of them are lighter in body, and fairly complex where super full bodied is kind of the rage right now. So I guess I understand why there's not a lot of talk about them. I've worked my way through most of them, and I haven't found one I dislike yet either.
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i ordered 1 to try yesterday, may smoke it on my birthday
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    I've been thinking of buying a couple of these. They are beautiful looking cigars! For those who have these, how are they smoking now? I've read a couple of places where they are some of the best Avo have put out.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    jj20030:
    i ordered 1 to try yesterday, gonna send it to The Kid
    What he meant to say,,,lmao
    Roberto99:
    I've been thinking of buying a couple of these. They are beautiful looking cigars! For those who have these, how are they smoking now? I've read a couple of places where they are some of the best Avo have put out.
    I just had one a few nights ago. They smoke great, and I agree they are definitely one of the best cigars Avo's made.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    That's a tough one Glen. If I were to rank Avo cigars by my preference, it would probably be in three groups ranging from those I liked to those I really liked to those I think are fantastic. It might look something like this...

Avo cigars I like: Avo maduro, Avo 80th (likely to change, need to revisit), Avo XO, Avo Domaine

Avo cigars I really like: Avo Classic, Avo Signature, Avo 787, Avo Compañero, Avo LE08 Tesoro, Avo LE10

Avo cigars I think are fantastic: Avo 85th LE11, Avo Heritage, Avo LE07

That's about how it looks for my preferences, not saying anyone should agree, I'm not even sure I agree with some of them and will need further experience with particular lines to firm up exactly how I feel about them.
    I've been on the fence about this cigar. I hear good things but from your list I really only like the maduro, well I Haven't had the Tesoro or LE10. The others I wasn't crazy about. And I just smoked all the regular ones, thanks to Tim for a sampler. But your review just makes me want one. lol