Home Ratings & Reviews

Favorite Tubed Cigars

Hey all-

I'm looking to pick up some tubed cigars and am wondering which out there are some of the favorites.  I've tried a few (Romeo y Julieta and Montecristo) so I'm familiar, but was looking for any recommendations as well.  I prefer a medium to full-bodied smoke.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey, If you have an extra $750.00 bucks why not try Gurkhas " His Majesty's Reserve" Check it out right here under cigars. Good news, they are in stock! Who the hell would pay that much for a cigar unless it came with two round trip tickets and you got to meet the person who rolled it ?
  • nalizakonalizako Posts: 3
    Yeah, that Gurkha is in my favorites.  I laugh out loud every time I see it.  Even with the plane tickets I doubt it's worth it.  I couldn't believe there were reviews for it.  That means someone actually paid $750 for a cigar.  Now that should be illegal.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭

Gurkha is one of my least favorite brands.  All their cigars seem very flat to me and not very complex at all.  I'll be damned if I'll pay $750 for one of their cigars.  Haha. However they fancy themselves THE Premium cigar makers and I guess the figured they need their Opus X and wanted it to cost 10x as much.

As far as Tubos my favorite right now is the Partagas Habana.  Brought a few back with me from Italy.  The AVO XO Preludio Tube was very good as well, mine actually had plume on it, wonderful Big Smile [:D].  Other than that to be honest with you I haven't had a tubo that impressed me

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    on the cheaper side i like the Don Tomas Corona Grande ( 6.5 x 44). this is a milder cigar but the cedar flavor that comes off of this cigar is great. ive got one from '06 sitting in the box. i think im gunna crack that baby open soon.
    I don't really care for tubed cigars either, maybe I like to see the cigar and humidify it to my person liking. Even if I get one I will take it out of the tube and use that tube to transport cigars that I plan to smoke " on the road".
    I take my tube cigars out of the tube as soon as I get them as well and let them sit in the humi.  I didn't even think to mention that, good call Kaspera
    i open the tube for my standard 6 weeks rest period, then i close it up and let em age. they age slower in a tube. I have one that is in a glass tube and i hope to see bloom on it before i smoke it. could be ten years from now... never know.
  • Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    i open the tube for my standard 6 weeks rest period, then i close it up and let em age. they age slower in a tube. I have one that is in a glass tube and i hope to see bloom on it before i smoke it. could be ten years from now... never know.
    I have three Rare Corojo tubes that I will try this on with two of them. So far they have about four weeks, so will wait a bit :D Good idea, and thanks :D
    I'm just passing on what some veteran smokers have told me.  Plume(or bloom) is more likely to form on tubed cigars that are NOT opened.  Has anyone ever seen plume on a tubo that has been opened as Kuzi mentioned? 
    The only cigars I ever had this happen with are ones I have had sitting for a year or more. What makes them even better is when the cello wraper turns yellow. Now that is a cigar with some age on it. Not a hint of harshness. Choose one you really like, and forget about it I mean really do not even think about smoking it for a year. I always buy something I enjoy on a special day, b-day, new year and just then go to it on the anniversary of your purchase. Well worth the wait.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I have a Gurkha Grand Reserve Churchill in a tube...It looks so good I just want to take it out and grope it, but then I slap my hand and say "NO TOUCHING!" and I snap back to reality and put it down disappointedly.

Joe

Kaspera,

Do you leave your cigars in the cello?  I've gone back and forth with that and sometimes leave it on and sometimes take it off.  Does anyone know if it makes any difference?  I've never got a straight answer, aside from "it doesn't matter".

• btmislesbtmisles Posts: 125
    madurofan:

Kaspera,

Do you leave your cigars in the cello?  I've gone back and forth with that and sometimes leave it on and sometimes take it off.  Does anyone know if it makes any difference?  I've never got a straight answer, aside from "it doesn't matter".

I have done both (left the cello on and taken it off) and I am convinced there isn't a difference. I will say this though, when I open the humi when all of the cello is off, the aroma is magnificent. I think that is the only reason why I take the wrappers off of all of my sticks now.
    I always leave the cello on. When storing different cigars together for a long time, I found the taste of all the cigars began to become similar, instead of the distinct difference of brands that I enjoy. Also I found less damage to wrappers as I like to examine my cigars often. Maybe I need a glass top humidor and just peek in on them that way.
    One more thing to keep in mind Maduro, never store the flavored cigars like Acid Brands in the same humidor with your regulars. They will bleed over for sure. Not that there is anything wrong with Acid Brands, Many people love them as a change of pace, others smoke nothing else, personal taste you know. I enjoy the Drew Estates Natural line, just keep 'em seperated or your Opus X will pick up floral tastes.
  • carmike22carmike22 Posts: 70
    I haven't had that many tubed cigars. I did have one on this past New Year's Eve party my friend gave me that was pretty good. It was some kind of Romeo and Julieta.

Kaspera,

I like the theory that you're less likely to do damage to the wrapper when you leave them in the cello.  That alone will probably change my opinion on leaving the cello on.  I have always been told the "marrying" you're talking about takes years in the proper conditions and is not affected by cello.  I've heard a number of professionals talk about the myths of marrying and they all talked about how it is virtually impossible to have cigars trully marry in a personal humidor that is opened regularly.

Now storing infused cigars with my cigars would be blasphemous, haha.  I don't care for infused cigars so not too much of a concern for me.  I know some love the Acids, I'm just turned off by the fact that when you open a box of them it smells like a bottle of cheap perfume.  

madurofan:

I've heard a number of professionals talk about the myths of marrying and they all talked about how it is virtually impossible to have cigars trully marry in a personal humidor that is opened regularly.

true.

I have found that it reason why all the cigars start to taste the same in my humidor is because i am drawn to a certian taste and style of cigar.

as of late: honduran wrappers.
    LOL, Kuzi.  I have that problem in my humi as well.  I have forced myself to stop buying maduro wrapper cigars.  I've kind of taken a liking to corojo's right this minute.  Of course anything made by Don Pepin is always welcome in my humi. ESPECIALLY the cojonu 2003.