Home Non Cigar Related

Tobacco Ice Cream

Well I was watching Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern tonight and one of the desserts he had was coffee and tobacco ice cream garnished with duck's tongue and Pop Rocks. That got me to Googling to see if I could make some tobacco ice cream (or frozen custard) and I ended up at this site and this site.

The first recipe calls for some pipe tobacco and the second calls for a cuban Cohiba cigarillo and some bourbon. I'm pretty sure I have an old hand churned ice cream maker somewhere around here and I'm giving some thought into making some of this.

If I were to make some, what type of cigars should I use, fuller bodied maduros or go in the other direction and go with something fairly light? I also have some pipe tobacco called Indian Pudding that is very sweet smelling and would do pretty well in a food.

Comments

• Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I'd say for the cigar, go with a maduro for its sweentess but try for one that's not too spicy. Also, I'd consider cooking down the Bourbon into a syrup and burning off all the alcohol so that you're left with just the sugar and flavors from the bourbon. If you don't have figs, try Pedro Ximinez sherry if you can find it - it's a sweet wine that typically has a very fig-like profile.

Good luck and let us know how it works out. I may have to try this. I still need to make my tobacco bitters first.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Sounds pretty interesting bud! Bring your ass back to TX before you make this and we can make a day of experimenting with these recipes! lol
  • Garen B:
    stuff.

Heh! Is it wrong that I get the heebie jeebies thinking of duck tongue as garnishment but not so much on the tobacco? Put some rocky mountain oysters in the mix and I'll see you eat cro..er... tobacco ice cream. :p

As for what cigars to use, first article suggests a mild tobacco, and I'm inclined to agree if for no other reason so that it doesn't overpower the more subtle and nuanced flavors of ice cream in general. You're going for complexity and flavor in a dessert, not a nicotine bomb.

Also, you win most Original thread of the Year!

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    cut the cap of each first and chew on it for a few moments. whatever tastes better, use that one.

on a side note, my wife and i have been working on two truffles for our chocolate company. one will be a Chocolate Stout truffle and the other will be a Tobacco truffle.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I want to puke!. I'm a purest. Water, no lemon, PLEASE. I want ice cream made with vanilla. I don't want to taste added ingredients. The same for a cigar. I'm not looking for hidden flavors of other substances. I'm looking for pure tobacco taste. Don't even get me started on infusion.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    I want to puke!. I'm a purest. Water, no lemon, PLEASE. I want ice cream made with vanilla. I don't want to taste added ingredients. The same for a cigar. I'm not looking for hidden flavors of other substances. I'm looking for pure tobacco taste. Don't even get me started on infusion.
    ice cream was designed for flavors.

my wife and i make ice cream all the time. some of out favorites include: green tea ice cream, Almond cinnamon ice cream, spiced rum ice cream, Banana butter pecan...

there is so much you can do with ice cream.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    I saw on cupcake wars last year on the Food network a woman made a vanilla cupcake with tobacco in it. It looked nasty because she pulled out her pack of cigarettes and tore them open and put them in the batter. She actually won!!
    Food Network Tobacco Cupcake

I think tobacco from a cigar could be used as a spice just like basil or mint.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    beatnic:
    Eh, if we never tried anything oddball with our food, we'd be eating nothing but bread, water and boiled unspiced meat still. Besides, I'll make it a vanilla and cigar ice cream with maybe just a splash of rum in there. Or maybe use cane sugar syrup instead of just white sugar. Oooo, I could do a reduction of spiced rum, a little bit of cane sugar and then a nice sweet maduro flavored ice cream. Thanks for the idea beatnic!

I wonder if mojito ice cream has been made....
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Garen B:
    I wonder if mojito ice cream has been made....
    Don't be trying to steal my mojito mojo Garen, that ain't cool dog. Smile [:)]
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I'm reminded of the scene in Willy Wonka with the gum that tasted like a whole meal. Remember what happened to Violet! She turned into a giant blueberry!. There was a problem with the deserts. LOL
    Well I found a recipe that I'm happy with, it's a bit more of a custard than a standard ice cream recipe but I think the extra richness will help the tobacco flavor a ton. I'm going with a pipe tobacco from a shop in San Diego, the tobacco has a real sweetness to it. It smells like vanilla mixed with good maple syrup. Anywho, here's the recipe in all it's simpleness:

2 pints of heavy cream 6 yolks of eggs
    1 cup sugar
    1 vanilla bean
    1/4 to 1/2 cup high-quality tobacco

1. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the yolks and sugar until thick. In a saucepan, warm the cream over medium-low heat. Slice the vanilla bean down the middle and scrape out the seeds into the cream. Add the bean and the tobacco, stir well, and let cook, without boiling, for about 15 minutes. Strain. Remove from heat and slowly add the yolks and sugar to the cream mixture while strring. Place the saucepan over medium-low heat and slowly warm the custard, stirring gently, until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Leave to cool completely. When it's cold, transfer to the bowl of an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.
  • JZJZ Posts: 827
    Rob1110:
    I'd say for the cigar, go with a maduro for its sweentess but try for one that's not too spicy. Also, I'd consider cooking down the Bourbon into a syrup and burning off all the alcohol so that you're left with just the sugar and flavors from the bourbon. If you don't have figs, try Pedro Ximinez sherry if you can find it - it's a sweet wine that typically has a very fig-like profile.

Good luck and let us know how it works out. I may have to try this. I still need to make my tobacco bitters first.
    Burn off the alcohol! Are you crazy!!!!! How many people can say they got hammered off ice cream!
    beatnic:
    The damn thing never stays lit either, it pisses me off!
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Doesn't sound good to me. But here's one I made this week. Double vanilla with pomegranate swirl. Garnish is candied walnuts. Required protection, of course. Photobucket
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I want an ice cream flavored cigar, preferably rocky road.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    zoom6zoom:
    Doesn't sound good to me. But here's one I made this week. Double vanilla with pomegranate swirl. Garnish is candied walnuts. Required protection, of course. Photobucket
    Rough neighborhood zoom ? Man can't even enjoy a bowl of ice cream these days without packing.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Not taking any chances with someone swiping dessert. (The "protection" thing is a long running joke on another board.)
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I've seen some of the pictures of your home protection system.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    JZ:
    Burn off the alcohol! Are you crazy!!!!! How many people can say they got hammered off ice cream!

Good point. I may have to try this. Rum also sounds really good. I'm diggin' this thread.
    kaspera79:
    zoom6zoom:
    Rough neighborhood zoom ? Man can't even enjoy a bowl of ice cream these days without packing.
    You're gonna need a bit more tacticool stuff hanging off that Sig if you want to be a mall ninja Zoomy :P
    zoom6zoom:
    You should definetely get that sword autographed by Randy Jackson!
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    A local Italian restaurant had tobacco ice cream as a dessert. Curious, I decided to give it a try. It was served with a piece of waffle cone. Flavors were spicy from the tobacco and sweet from the ice cream. I asked the server what kind of tobacco was used and she told me that the chef basically ripped open a cigar. I regret not asking her what kind of cigar and which part of the cigar the chef used.
    Well I used a local pipe tobacco blend here that had a nice maple flavor. The ice cream was FANTASTIC! Great maple flavors with a nice burn from the tobacco, going with a custard base really helped this ice cream. It's more of a savory flavor that would pair well with a coffee or cappuccino.

A little goes a long way with this and I'd use a bit less tobacco next time so it doesn't have quite the burn it has now. I ended up using about 1/3 of a cup dry measure of tobacco and I'll probably knock it down to around 1/6 of a cup next time.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

This Bourbon and Cigar ice cream recipe looks interesting, but also looks like a lot of work.

https://food52.com/recipes/18833-bourbon-and-cigar-ice-cream

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

Might be interesting with Rye and cherries as in a cigar and old fashioned ice cream.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey, @cbuck, are you into this flavor already??

• cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not much mainstream demand I think! When I do a flavor, 30 2.5 gallon tubs is the smallest I can do! If it becomes a “thing”, I’d consider it though! @jlmarta

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow!! That’s a buncha ice cream…… 👍👴🏻

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cbuck said:
    Not much mainstream demand I think! When I do a flavor, 30 2.5 gallon tubs is the smallest I can do! If it becomes a “thing”, I’d consider it though! @jlmarta

There’s at least 30 people on here ;)

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...