Home Ratings & Reviews

Review: San Lotano Habano

San Lotano Habano
6.5 x 54 Torpedo

Pre-light aroma is of sweet hay and gives the nose a tingle when inhaled through the nose deeply. This habano's wrapper is an oily dark brown, but far from the deep brown-black of it's maduro cousin. I double-guillotined the cap, creating a head slightly more narrow than the main stick and giving me a small conehead remnant to smell after lighting the stick to compare aroma notes.
First few puffs to get it going reveal dry spice notes that back off immediately after the second sortie of draws. I'm impressed with the amount of smoke that is already being drawn during those first puffs and the resting smoke at the foot is signaling it's unsublimated leaf-brothers as it floats away.
The ash at the foot after 5 minutes is salt and pepper gray and some smoke begins issuing out of the head after I've drawn and set the stick down; nice pipeline - I can tell this stick is a winner in the construction department and settle in for the event.
Moving through the first 1/3rd of the stick is a very smooth, white pepper note that teases then grows around a toasty and light tobacco flavor that also has a slight sweet note at the tail end of a medium finish on the palate. The pepper note is greatly intensified if you retrohale - surprising, this early in the smoke - and I don't recommend it unless you are a seasoned aficionado who likes that sort of thing. If it is your thing, you'll enjoy the added complexity and flavor it adds to the mix (once was enough for me).
The second 1/3rd brings a nice balance of complex flavors between the white pepper and a toasty tobacco flavor with subtle wood notes while the resting smoke has become aromatic with a bright and light sweet smell of roasty tobacco. The body, while full, makes you slightly heady but doesn't demand that you sit down. Even the smell of the stick when my nose is over it while drawing yields a pleasantly sweet smell.
As with the other two San Lotano lines the bands have to be taken off at the seams because of the generous amount of tobacco in the stick and the texture of the paper once again aims to impress - and succeeds.
When the stick moves into the final 1/3rd a dark roast coffee flavor begins to make itself known in the finish and all the rest of the aforementioned flavors take on a darker and more mellow profile.
Final notes: This medium to full-bodied treat is great if you want a complex smoke to round out your day. It's best to smoke this when you have no distractions so you can enjoy the more subtle flavor changes throughout the stick. The ash is fairly flakey so you're not going to win any awards with ash length - but don't let that fool you - the construction is great. Try one, you'll like it!

Comments

• roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the review man.
    One God, One Truth
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Great review. I have found this cigar to be the best Ribeye steak pairing cigaar in the world. Light this up same time or after a ribeye and the smoke just clings perfectly to the fat cells and the flavor of the tobacco seems to almost seamlessly compliment the meat.. It is an odd observation, but since i stumbled on it, I am hooked. I cant eat steak anymore without one of these sticks nearby.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    Great review. I have found this cigar to be the best Ribeye steak pairing cigaar in the world. Light this up same time or after a ribeye and the smoke just clings perfectly to the fat cells and the flavor of the tobacco seems to almost seamlessly compliment the meat.. It is an odd observation, but since i stumbled on it, I am hooked. I cant eat steak anymore without one of these sticks nearby.
    I've been considering what will be my celebratory meal/smoke/drink combination when I get out of the army here pretty soon and I think this sounds just about perfect! I'm thinking a nice glass of rum might fit in there pretty well. Any suggestions a drink pairing with the steak and cigar?
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Awesome review. Really looking forward to trying this one.
  • Alex Svenson:

I plan on having a steak for Easter dinner and I think I'll try this. I also noticed the ccom mag suggested the Padilla Dominus after a hearty steak as well for the same reasons. Looks like I better stock up on steaks (which is always a sound policy)!

ejenne87:
    Alex Svenson:
    I've been considering what will be my celebratory meal/smoke/drink combination when I get out of the army here pretty soon and I think this sounds just about perfect! I'm thinking a nice glass of rum might fit in there pretty well. Any suggestions a drink pairing with the steak and cigar?
    I suggest a south american red wine. NNo particular reason, just that is what I have had with this combo in the past and it has gone well. I do notice that whatever the drink tends to wash out the fat cells in your mouth left by the beef which is what really compliments the smoke so whatever your drink of choice, I would monitor the intake and limit it as much as possible if you want to maximize the cigar enjoyment.
    Alex Svenson:
    ejenne87:
    Alex Svenson:
    I suggest a south american red wine. NNo particular reason, just that is what I have had with this combo in the past and it has gone well. I do notice that whatever the drink tends to wash out the fat cells in your mouth left by the beef which is what really compliments the smoke so whatever your drink of choice, I would monitor the intake and limit it as much as possible if you want to maximize the cigar enjoyment.
    Solid advice. Makes sense to me. Thanks a lot for the replay, Alex. I'll absolutely keep this in mind when I have my celebratory dinner. The San Lotano Habano is one of my favorite smokes!!
  • NightHawkNightHawk Posts: 247
    def agree it is a great stick. what do you think are the chances AJ would roll out a few of these in a corona size, maybe as a ccom exclusive like the corona sampler?? which btw i have been burning through, and LHC was one which i was very pleasantly surprised by. a solid med body stick with tons of leathery spice and flavor.
    I think they have a lancero in the works but not a corona. I am going to see him on sunday so i will have to let you know.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Alex, you guys carry these but don't list them on the website if I recall correctly..? If so I may be interested in a couple of boxes. Also, I remember his (now defunct) signature series paired brilliantly with a ribeye as well. Any similarity in the blends?
    Alex Svenson:
    I think they have a lancero in the works but not a corona. I am going to see him on sunday so i will have to let you know.
    This is really great news! Definitely keep us posted, Alex! Thanks