Home Cigar 101

Boveda Packs

gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
Just started using these and have a couple of questions: Can I put cigars on top of the packs? Will this damage the sticks or impede the packs' abilites to control humidity? Does it matter where in the humi the packs are placed? If I put them on the top shelf, they would take up a lot less cigar storgage space. I think I read here once that humidity rises....good idea or bad to place on top shelf? Thanks.

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    If you are using more than one pack, I'd recommend spacing them out to get even humidity distribution more quickly. I've had no problem putting the packs on top of cigars, but haven't tried putting cigars on the packs, though I see no reason why that would impede their ability to function properly.
  • PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    ive had no issues. In one humi, I have it layered: cigars, boveda pack in the middle, more cigars. No over humidification or damage for the sticks touching the pack
  • dwayne3307dwayne3307 Posts: 272
    I have 6 in my humidor, 3 on one end and 3 on the other. My hygrometer sits in the middle. All are on the bottom.
  • RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    I love them, I use them in all three of my humidors along with humicare gel. I asked this question before and went researching. Got and email from a rep that told me that you can place them anywhere in your humidor. Will not have any issues laying them on cigars in cellophane or without. My humidity stays consistant for 2 1/2-3 months and then I change them out. I probably could use them longer but, I don't.
  • gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys-really appreciate the info (again)!
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    Have no issues and love them...
  • PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    RCY Cigars:
    I love them, I use them in all three of my humidors along with humicare gel. I asked this question before and went researching. Got and email from a rep that told me that you can place them anywhere in your humidor. Will not have any issues laying them on cigars in cellophane or without. My humidity stays consistant for 2 1/2-3 months and then I change them out. I probably could use them longer but, I don't.
    I use a tupperdor that locks closed and has an airtight seal (with an o-ring and all). I use 1 pack for 80 cigars. It's been in there since Dec and still not dried up. You can use em until they start gettin deflated. but if you are really content in tossing em, I'll gladly take the leftovers.
  • RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    PsychoSJG:
    RCY Cigars:
    I use a tupperdor that locks closed and has an airtight seal (with an o-ring and all). I use 1 pack for 80 cigars. It's been in there since Dec and still not dried up. You can use em until they start gettin deflated. but if you are really content in tossing em, I'll gladly take the leftovers.

I will keep that in mind, lol...
  • Love the Boveda packs, just made the switch to try them out in one of my 300ct humi's, bought the 72's and the keep my humi at 70 on the spot.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    I have the same experience. Whatever number you buy 68, 72 or 75 the humidity go -2. Currently I am living in Nicaragua and 72 maintains 70. One cigar friend who live in Lap Paz,Bolivia which the highest capital on earth use 75 and get 72% humidity. La Paz is cold and dry so it makes sense. When I lived in La Paz I wasn't a cigar smoker so no first hand experience. I believe the % depends on where you are and the climate in that place. I haven't use 75 yet but I am planning to use order some because my 72 sometime go down to 66-69. I use one pack for 25 cigars.
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    rzaman:
    I have the same experience. Whatever number you buy 68, 72 or 75 the humidity go -2. Currently I am living in Nicaragua and 72 maintains 70. One cigar friend who live in Lap Paz,Bolivia which the highest capital on earth use 75 and get 72% humidity. La Paz is cold and dry so it makes sense. When I lived in La Paz I wasn't a cigar smoker so no first hand experience. I believe the % depends on where you are and the climate in that place. I haven't use 75 yet but I am planning to use order some because my 72 sometime go down to 66-69. I use one pack for 25 cigars.
    x2 on this
  • Pacman84Pacman84 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently made the change to these about a month ago and I'm really satisfied with them. I bought 2 of the 69% for my 50 ct. The humidity is alway about 66-67% I'm planning to stick with these from now on.
  • kevin1323kevin1323 Posts: 294
    So I have been using the boveda packs for 3/4 months. (100 ct. humidor with four 69% packs changed out every 2 months) My digital hygro has read 70% on the nose since a few days after starting with these packs. The humidor is and has been full of cigars (I think the current count is 80.) I inteded to keep a lower rh than 70%. Has anyone seen this happen with these packs. Everything I have read says that they should keep rh about -2 to -4 % from the # stated on the pack.

I didn't ever do any testing of the hygro, but I didn't think that was required with a digital. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    kevin1323:
    So I have been using the boveda packs for 3/4 months. (100 ct. humidor with four 69% packs changed out every 2 months) My digital hygro has read 70% on the nose since a few days after starting with these packs. The humidor is and has been full of cigars (I think the current count is 80.) I inteded to keep a lower rh than 70%. Has anyone seen this happen with these packs. Everything I have read says that they should keep rh about -2 to -4 % from the # stated on the pack. I didn't ever do any testing of the hygro, but I didn't think that was required with a digital. Any advice would be appreciated.
    When there's not very much room (air) in the humidor the packs bring the rh a lot closer to their actual ratings, and sometimes even go a point or two above it. You could either remove some cigars, or get some of the 65 rh packs. I don't think they make a 67.

I started with 75s, and had to move to 72s, then now the 69s as my humis get fuller and fuller.
    So I had switched to the 65s with my order recieved about 5 weeks ago. My humidor never dipped below 69%. I salt tested the digital hygro and checked the rh in the room with the humi. After those checked out ok, I emailed the rep from Boveda that I dealt with previously and he asked me for the 4 digit reference numbers on the packs. Turns out they had a few batches of 69s that were mislabled 65s. They are sending replacements with some extras.

So far, ccom level customer service from them!
  • I agree with thier service. I ordered a 4 pack of 72's and notice one of them was an 84. I called them up and they're sending me another 4 pack of 72's. I tried telling them I only needed the 1 replaced, but they wanted to give me more than I was asking for "just for my trouble".
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's cool. It's good to see there are other companies besides ccom that appreciate their customers.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Boveda Packs are the way to go . I layer mine and have never ever had an issue . Lov'em !!!
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i put in the boveda paks about a month ago, just checking i notice a couple are starting to get a few crystals in them, i read that after they crystalize the are done. so my question is do you use them while they still have plenty juice till they are almost completly crystalized, half way etc, , when do you to exactly replace, read they should last 3 months
    I replace the ones in my humidor every 2 months when they ship. I am sure they could last a bit longer, but I have so much going on in life that if I don't switch them when they come in I would forget and have bigger issues on my hands. I actually have put the used packs in a tupperador and they seem work and last MUCH longer in that environment.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    jj20030:
    i put in the boveda paks about a month ago, just checking i notice a couple are starting to get a few crystals in them, i read that after they crystalize the are done. so my question is do you use them while they still have plenty juice till they are almost completly crystalized, half way etc, , when do you to exactly replace, read they should last 3 months

I'm on a 10 week schedule and never had a problem , some of them still felt usable but I replaced them anyway . I have used some to put in trade/bombs after they came out of humi because I knew they were still working .
  • BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    gmill880:
    jj20030:

I'm on a 10 week schedule and never had a problem , some of them still felt usable but I replaced them anyway . I have used some to put in trade/bombs after they came out of humi because I knew they were still working .
    same here, I do notice that if you move them around a bit (make them a little pliable) they tend to have some juice left in them.
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    Has anyone used the 84% seasoning packet and had any luck with it? I am having a custom 50ct humi built(will be complete in 2weeks) and was going to use that(already purchased and delivered) and just wanted to make sure I seasoned this one properly and did it right the first time...
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    Has anyone used the 84% seasoning packet and had any luck with it? I am having a custom 50ct humi built(will be complete in 2weeks) and was going to use that(already purchased and delivered) and just wanted to make sure I seasoned this one properly and did it right the first time...
    I think you should PM Gmill. Gene uses the Boveda system and swears by it.