Home Cigar 101

Chirstmas Gift Advice

We're expecting our daughter in March and wanted to get my husband some "It's a Girl" Cigars for Christmas.  He's a cigar smoker and will know a good cigar when he sees it.  I obviously do not, which is why I am here.  I've done several google searches and see there are a handful of options / sites to choose from.  I do not mind spending money for a good pick.  Any advice on sites and brands to purchse? 

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    this site can help you out. they dont show it on the list of brands but if you call them they can help.
    Arturo Fuente makes a good its a boy/girl cigar... so does Cusano.

give cigar.com a call and tell them what you are looking for. either of those brands will do well. they are good enough that a "serious" cigar smoker will like them but not so strong or complex or expensive that an average joe that you may hand them out to will not like them. its a plus that they wont break the bank if you are looking for a premium cigar to hand out.

plus the service you will get from cigar.com will make it painless. these guys are great.

If my wife was expecting and got me those... that would be a FINE day.
  • Thanks for the advice!
  • I got my friend the Cusano 'It's a Boy' and they were pretty good, much better then the generic pharmacy garbage most people grab. kinda mild, but I enjoy Cusano's, IMO one of the more underrated brands out there.

If I was you I would grab a box of those to hand out most definitely, but i would suggest also picking up a single or two of something high end to really celebrate with and for your husband to enjoy on his own, like a Perdomo Edicion de Silvio or ESV '91. Both are fantastic.

Congratulations on your future addition to your family!
  • Great idea and thanks!
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    dkh21204:
    We're expecting our daughter in March and wanted to get my husband some "It's a Girl" Cigars for Christmas.  He's a cigar smoker and will know a good cigar when he sees it.  I obviously do not, which is why I am here.  I've done several google searches and see there are a handful of options / sites to choose from.  I do not mind spending money for a good pick.  Any advice on sites and brands to purchse? 
    Hey guys ! Where are our collective manners ? First of all, Congratulations to the expectant couple. Is this your first ? I have two babies of my own. Ones 20, ones 17.. I personally enjoy the Fuentes cigars.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    dkh21204:
    Hey guys ! Where are our collective manners ? First of all, Congratulations to the expectant couple. Is this your first ? I have two babies of my own. Ones 20, ones 17.. I personally enjoy the Fuentes cigars.
    Umm, are you referring to aged cigars? I bet that 20 year one is going to be good.
    Congrats, and I agree with Kuzi, fuente makes a good cigar, and the boy/girl bundles are like 40 or 50 bucks so it's not entirely expensive. You'll have to let us know how everything turns out.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Congratulations on your new addition. I can't add anything to what has been said, so I'll leave it at that.
    Okay squirrel, pretty funny. None of my CIGARS are as old as my children..
  • Yes it's our first, so we're definitely excited.  He'll love the gift I'm sure, especially now that I'm getting him something good!  Thanks to all of you for your advice.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    have you thought of a name yet .....julieta....oliva.....la fontana ....just kidding-congrats on your new little one
    gmill880:
    have you thought of a name yet .....julieta....oliva.....la fontana ....just kidding-congrats on your new little one
    That's only funny to cigar smokers dkh21204.. These are names of some favored cigar brands. Ha, Ha, Ha...
  • Actually even the novice me got that one.
    dkh21204:
    Actually even the novice me got that one.
    My wife wouldn't know the difference between a Big Mac and a Macanudo. ( this statement will cause a reply or two.. )
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    kaspera79:
    dkh21204:
    My wife wouldn't know the difference between a Big Mac and a Macanudo. ( this statement will cause a reply or two.. )
    I think Big Macs taste like cardboard...not a huge fan of McDonalds either.

That close to what you were looking for? :)
    j0z3r:
    kaspera79:
    dkh21204:
    I think Big Macs taste like cardboard...not a huge fan of McDonalds either.

That close to what you were looking for? :)
    Yup !!
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    Congratulations, and I would just like to add my $.02. Everybody here gave great advice, but if I had to choose between the Cusano and the Fuent, I would go with the Fuente.
    kaspera79:
    Was that sarcasm? =)
    phobicsquirrel:
    kaspera79:
    Was that sarcasm? =)
    Ummm. I wish I would have bought a box of cigars at the birth of my kids, and saved them. Smoke one from the box on their birthdays for the next twenty five years for comparison sake.. But I didn't, so I have two kids age 20 and 17, but no aged cigars. Any fathers to be should do that. It sounds like a great way to celebrate.
    You know that is a good idea, though I don't know how well cigars would hold up to 15 years plus..
    phobicsquirrel:
    You know that is a good idea, though I don't know how well cigars would hold up to 15 years plus..
    Be sure to get something really good, and take care of them.. If they start to turn in the wrong direction, finish them off a little early.. It would be a great time.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I'm gonna do that! In five years or so when we actually are ready to have children.
    kaspera79:
    phobicsquirrel:
    kaspera79:
    Was that sarcasm? =)
    Ummm. I wish I would have bought a box of cigars at the birth of my kids, and saved them. Smoke one from the box on their birthdays for the next twenty five years for comparison sake.. But I didn't, so I have two kids age 20 and 17, but no aged cigars. Any fathers to be should do that. It sounds like a great way to celebrate.
    my plan was in the same vein. I would buy 3 very high end cigars when i find out the wife is pregnant. smoke one on the birthday and have two for the day they turn 18 (if its a boy) or (if its a girl) two for the day she gets married. one for me, one for her husband.... but if she is into cigars.... hmmmmm
    kuzi16:
    kaspera79:
    phobicsquirrel:
    kaspera79:
    Was that sarcasm? =)
    my plan was in the same vein. I would buy 3 very high end cigars when i find out the wife is pregnant. smoke one on the birthday and have two for the day they turn 18 (if its a boy) or (if its a girl) two for the day she gets married. one for me, one for her husband.... but if she is into cigars.... hmmmmm
    So are you expecting this to be soon kuz?
    kuzi16:
    nah.
    But its fun to keep practicing anyways :).
    kuzi16:
    kaspera79:
    phobicsquirrel:
    kaspera79:
    Was that sarcasm? =)
    You need to start them off early kuzi, though I think the general consensus is against this...
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947

So how did the cigars for the hubby work out?