Home Cigar 101

Temperature Control

Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
How do you guys control the temp in your humidors? My fiancee opened the windows all day yesterday because it was a beautiful 75 degree day and my temp spiked to where the top chamber of my cabinet was 79. I freaked out and told her horror stories of beetles until she closed the windows and turned on the air, lol. But seriously, I should be able to get some fresh air now and then, how do you guys deal with this?
^Troll: DO NOT FEED.

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Long story short . . . I don't. There are guys on here who have their cigars in the high 70's for long periods of time and never have a problem. Due to my situation, the thermostat is set at 75F all day and all night, even though I'd prefer 70F. Haven't had a problem so far, but I'm seriously looking into a wineador or one of those electric 1200-count humi's that controls RH and temp.

If you're handy, they sell small A/C units that can be installed in a humidor

• RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    How do you guys control the temp in your humidors? My fiancee opened the windows all day yesterday because it was a beautiful 75 degree day and my temp spiked to where the top chamber of my cabinet was 79. I freaked out and told her horror stories of beetles until she closed the windows and turned on the air, lol. But seriously, I should be able to get some fresh air now and then, how do you guys deal with this?

Well Ken, my barracks don't have AC at all. I clamped down and bought a cooler. It's been five days now and my temp has been stuck on 67 degrees. I put one ice pack in there for a day. And took it out. It has been steady since I took it out 4 days ago. Now the temp hasn't gone over 75 degrees here. But I'm thinking with this seal and it being on the floor in my wall locker. It should be okay. From what I've been reading, a lot of the guys start to take their cigars out of their desk tops. And store them in coolers for the hotter months. Just a suggestion, this is my first time around with mine.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    My humis are in the basement keeps the temp very good, then once summer the a/c goes on...
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I keep most of my stuff in coolers, and I run the a/c.
  • Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    Ken Light:

The same thing happened to me this weekend. It got so nice out that we opened up the house and the temp in my humi's and cooler shot up to over 70 degress. What I did was I moved them down into my basement and within 24 hours the temp was back down to the low 60's. I figured that something like this was bound to happen since my upstairs gets very warm and until I turn on the AC I'll have to keep the sticks in the basement. Now, you might not have a basement or you can't put it in teh basement. I've heard putting it in a closet might work (dark and cooler). I'm guessing in your case a small cooling unit might have to be bought or made to keep your temp down if moving the cabinet won't work. Best of luck. Hopefully you'll be able to figure it out.

Rob
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i dont control the temp in my humidors. the humidity is the bigger issue. if you have you RH a bit below 70 and your temp is up you shouldnt have a problem. i would stay below 80 but beyond that its not that huge of a deal... especially if you are smoking from reputable cigar companies.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, I guess the answer is to just quit worrying about it. I don't really want to do the cooler thing, especially since the cabinet is a wedding present...I'd rather lose my whole collection than try and go through that argument and unfortunately I don't have a basement (apartment, upstairs) and am the furthest thing from handy so a small AC unit is out of the question. I'll decrease my humidification a little to make sure the heat doesn't spike the humidity as well, I've noticed those two can correlate pretty heavily.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    I've noticed those two can correlate pretty heavily.
    thats because warmer air can hold more moisture.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    When it gets really hot and muggy here, I set up a box fan 5 to 10 feet from my humidors, and turn it on periodically through out the day, pointed at my humis, just the get things moving. Air flow is key.
  • willso7willso7 Posts: 156
    Diamondog:
    My humis are in the basement keeps the temp very good, then once summer the a/c goes on...
    +1
  • jfacianejfaciane Posts: 242
    I keep my humis in my master bedroom where I have a window unit, turned down to 69 with a ceiling fan on all day. Have the A/C set to "energy saver" and it kicks off and on when it needs to.