Home Cigar 101

Question about the "forbidden cigars" around ol us of a

blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
I have a question about the "forbidden cigars" we can't even speak of or admit they exist in the old US of A. I look at a few other forums like puff, etc, and of course I always drool and get jealous of pics of some fine CC's, but I was wondering why do they always look furry, or kinda like hairy and almost like the wrappers are lower quality or dirty/almost moldy? I know from word they have some fine sticks but I was just wondering if they are just super plumey or its just a side effect of being made in certain working conditions there?

Comments

• denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    It's plume. It happens when the oil leaves the wrapper. Click this for a definition

The only sticks I have had with significant plume were some Cuaba Exclusivos. They got that way after about a year or so. I've never had a stick from anywhere else get that much plume. Not sure if that's the way it is or if I just don't have enough age on my other sticks.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Could be plume. Could also just be the tobacco. If you look closely enough, some tobacco is covered in what looks like tiny little hairs. Not necessarily plume or mold, just the tobacco itself. Kind of like the little hairs all over a cucumber leaf, only much finer.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Alot of Cubans have "toothy" wrappers...
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Being Canadian, I have access to those 'fobidden cigars'...in fact, half my collection comes from there. I'm not sure what you mean by 'dirty'. Do you have a link or any pics to show what you mean? I have seen water marks (small green stains on the wrapper) once in a while. The 'hairs' are common on some sticks and I have seen that on non-Cuban cigars as well.

Cohiba Sublimes, 2004. They look fine to me, lol

• denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    a pic borrowed from Diamondog shows the fuzziness you are talking about known as plume

• DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Those Mag 50's are actually a pretty rough lookin stick but I can assure you they smoke like a dream!
    I should see how my Mag 50's look in a photo. I agree, the leaf is not smooth at all but with some age on them they are smoking better and better. Had one just a few days ago and it was GREAT!

• fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I love a hairy cigar, heck I like hairy wome...., no wait....I mean
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Amen Gypsy
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    Diamondog:
    Those Mag 50's are actually a pretty rough lookin stick but I can assure you they smoke like a dream!
    Mmmm, those are next on my list...very good indeed :)
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I guess I was just confused by a lot of pics I see on other sites, how the wrappers look so veiny and so rough compared to the best nicaraguans I smoke. Almost like I hear people saying how cuba took a major hit when the best growers all defected at the rise of castro. I definitely can see how upon just looks, Nicaraguans "look" so much better constructed and just less flaws. I have yet to smoke a cuban being in pa and only 2 years smoking. I just thought they looked a bit roughly constructed.
  • bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps with Fidel being officially replaced today the trade embargo might become a distant memory. Must be hard on many of you, knowing you are breaking the law everytime you partake in an ISOM product :(
    bearb:
    Perhaps with Fidel being officially replaced today the trade embargo might become a distant memory. Must be hard on many of you, knowing you are breaking the law everytime you partake in an ISOM product :(
    I guress even with the high prices here in Canada, I never have to worry about breaking the law by smoking ISOM. Now, if they could just slow down on all of the anti-smoking laws so I could find a legal place to smoke them, lol.

• beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Breaking the law? Get real, There are no cuban cigar police. If it makes it past customs, its legal. I'm gonna have a big Heche in Havana Cuban Punch after dinner tonight. They can have my cigar when they pry open my..... Oops, that's about guns. LOL
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    Breaking the law? Get real, There are no cuban cigar police. If it makes it past customs, its legal. I'm gonna have a big Heche in Havana Cuban Punch after dinner tonight. They can have my cigar when they pry open my..... Oops, that's about guns. LOL
    Unfortunately.... The logic is flawed... The Government wants to hold you accountable to ANY cuban item at ALL...
    Thus, if you are american and smoke a Cuban, or Drink Cuban Rum or finger a Cuban Immigrant.... you are breaking the law no matter what soil your shoes happen to be one....

This is truly messed up logic
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    Breaking the law? Get real, There are no cuban cigar police. If it makes it past customs, its legal.
    not true.
    if it makes it past customs... good for you. but according to the law it is till illegal to own. but as you said, there are no cuban cigar police. most dont care. its like going 5 mph over the speed limit. most cops dont care about that. it is, according to the letter of the law, illegal; but you wont get stopped for it.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    kuzi16:
    beatnic:
    Breaking the law? Get real, There are no cuban cigar police. If it makes it past customs, its legal.
    not true.
    if it makes it past customs... good for you. but according to the law it is till illegal to own. but as you said, there are no cuban cigar police. most dont care. its like going 5 mph over the speed limit. most cops dont care about that. it is, according to the letter of the law, illegal; but you wont get stopped for it.
    There are more illegal Mexicans in the US than there are Cuban cigars. And thats' against the law.
  • RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    beatnic:
    Unfortunately.... The logic is flawed... The Government wants to hold you accountable to ANY cuban item at ALL...
    Thus, if you are american and smoke a Cuban, or Drink Cuban Rum or finger a Cuban Immigrant.... you are breaking the law no matter what soil your shoes happen to be one....

This is truly messed up logic

Now I will be doing more researching. I was told something different. I guess it's better to just do the research yourself and no the laws. If true, I have had my last one. And I'm not mad, I will just pass the few I do have to one of our German contractors. Now I feel flawed, it has me thinking. Too many good cigars out there other than those that are just as good. Why risk it......
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    kuzi16:
    beatnic:
    not true.
    There are more illegal Mexicans in the US than there are Cuban cigars. And thats' against the law.
    I have the solution... If each illegal Mexican brought a box of Cuban Cigars with them when they crossed the Rio Grande, I'd say " Bienvenido Amigos ! "... ( jk of course).
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Two wrongs don't make a right?

That said, I smoke the F*ck out of them.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    Two wrongs don't make a right?

That said, I smoke the F*ck out of them.
    But Two Wrights make an airplane!!!!
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    OH, dun dun! Pretty funny actually. I'm still working on figuring out how i could acquire, but I suppose being USA we aren't even allowed to mention it. shhhhh don't do it! I just like how some other forums have seperate forum sections, and list every users forum name with "non usa" etc. Its all silliness in my opinion, I understand why it was enacted but lets get over with it, it hurts the little people mostly. They look expensive as fudge tho on some sites.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    blurr:
    OH, dun dun! Pretty funny actually. I'm still working on figuring out how i could acquire, but I suppose being USA we aren't even allowed to mention it. shhhhh don't do it! I just like how some other forums have seperate forum sections, and list every users forum name with "non usa" etc. Its all silliness in my opinion, I understand why it was enacted but lets get over with it, it hurts the little people mostly. They look expensive as fudge tho on some sites.
    Unless you only smoke online exclusive bargain bin type cigars, CCs really aren't any more expensive than most Non-CCs. I just got a box of Partagas Serie D. No. 4 for 140$.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    PM Doc
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What does ISOM stand for?
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Island South Of Miami

Marty

• JonathanEJonathanE Posts: 401
    beatnic:
    kuzi16:
    beatnic:
    not true.
    Hahahahaha, spot on!

JDE
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Yeah and their starting a lot of wildfires....!!!!