Home Cigar 101

freezing ur cigars to prevent beetles

Hey guys, When you place the cigars in the freezer, i was told to put them in freezer for 2 days, then fridge for a day, then you can put them in ur humi. does this sound right? also,do we need a vacuum seal on these freezer bags, or can we just simply place the cigars in the freezer bags, without a vacuum seal thank you stav

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    First question...do you really need to freeze them? More to the point, have you had a beetle outbreak? Do what you're comfortable with, but personally I wouldn't freeze my cigars unless there was an urgent need to do so.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    First question...do you really need to freeze them? More to the point, have you had a beetle outbreak? Do what you're comfortable with, but personally I wouldn't freeze my cigars unless there was an urgent need to do so.
    agreed.

if you do freeze them, put them in a freezer bag and take out as much air as you can but they dont have to be vacuum sealed. also you dont need a few days in the fridge after the freezer. they wont crack from temperature change. that is a myth. you can pull them out of the freezer and light them up with little to no problems.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    kuzi16:
    you can pull them out of the freezer and light them up with little to no problems.
    Interesting...
  • KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    wouldn't the changing temps cause moisture to build up on it? id think it would be better to take it from the freezer and stuff it into a humi by itself for a few days to stabilize.
  • I've never had beatles, thank god...and i hope none of u ever do, as well. I just want to make sure i never do....i do purchase many cigars online thru cigar.com and many trades, prize winnings, etc.... the other question is , does the frezzing only kill beatles if they are present, or does the freezing prevent from future outbreaks....? guys for the input!! much appreciated
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I only did this one time and it's because I had an ISOM that brought beetles to my humi. the good news was that beside that one stick, i only had 2 others and only one got affected. this is why i keep the cello on
    Just an FYI freezing cigars is no guarantee to kill off beetles, they can survive....beetle eggs are present in cigars, don't want them to hatch keep your RH down and your temp down and they won't. I could see a benefit to isolating sticks that I received in trades/bombs because I don't know for certain what conditions they are kept under or travelled under...
    dennisking:
    I only did this one time and it's because I had an ISOM that brought beetles to my humi. the good news was that beside that one stick, i only had 2 others and only one got affected. this is why i keep the cello on
    Habanos freezes all sticks for 14 days I believe very low incidence of beetles post 2006.
    yeah, I certainly didn't expect it. it was from a care pack from letsgowithbob that had some San Cristobal de la Habana and one unlabeled stick. the non labeled one had the beetles.
    side note, this was never meant to talk bad about kris (letsgowithbob) as he's a stand up botl. no one can predict beetles.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I had an outbreak once. I stuck the whole freaking humidor in the freezer overnight, then the fridge for the following day. No more beetles, no issues with the sticks.

Beetles are just a problem that comes along with this hobby many cigars will have the eggs and freezing is supposed to kill the eggs but its no guarantee. Keeping ur RH and Temp below 75 is the best bet for not having this issue.
  • Thanks everyone for ur input!! I hope we all say beetle free!!! stav