Home Cigar 101

New 300ct Humidor

jfacianejfaciane Posts: 242
Just got a 300ct humidor in and I was wondering if the black, rectangular humidifiers that come with it are sufficient to keep the humidity at 68 - 70% as long as I keep it filled with Propylene Glycol? Do I really need to upgrade to other humidification devices such as gels, beads, etc? I will buy a digital hygrometer though, cuz those analog ones suck.

Comments

• Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    jfaciane:
    Do I really need to upgrade to other humidification devices such as gels, beads, etc?
    If you want consistent, reliable RH with a minimum of spikes, yes, you do. Congrats on the purchase. Don't forget to season it.
  • RampMonkeyRampMonkey Posts: 1,808
    Grats on new Humi! Get that bad body seasoned up and show us some picts. Once she ready to go get some beads and you will be set brother.
  • jfacianejfaciane Posts: 242
    I'm seasoning it right now and I will def put some pics up as soon as it's ready. I already filled my 50 ct I got on my b-day and have about 20 cigars sitting in bags with humi-packs awaiting their new home, lol. I'll purchase some beads I guess, but I don't want to lose any room in their man, I guess I'll have to tho.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    If you can, you may wanna snag a cigar oasis II off ebay; add in two small tubes of beads to control excess humidity, and it should sit pretty
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the big one, wow 300. Fill 'er up with high test I say.
    The3Stogies:
    Congrats on the big one, wow 300. Fill 'er up with high test I say.
    I definitely will stogies! I'll use my other 50ct for Infused cigars. I had an Acid Liquid (red label) and loved it. Now I can have the best of both worlds. I'll post pics tomorrow after it seasons all night.
    How do I add pics?
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    jfaciane:
    How do I add pics?
    Typically by using another internet picture hosting site. I use Flickr. When your photo is on there you can grab the html address, copy and paste back here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    BEADS, congrats on your new purchase?
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Which 300ct did you get? I have the El Diablo and I love it. Be aware though, even though it's advertised at 300 capacity, it probably won't hold nearly that many.
    jfaciane:
    I'm seasoning it right now and I will def put some pics up as soon as it's ready. I already filled my 50 ct I got on my b-day and have about 20 cigars sitting in bags with humi-packs awaiting their new home, lol. I'll purchase some beads I guess, but I don't want to lose any room in their man, I guess I'll have to tho.

I'm in the same boat man, got a humi seasoning since Thursday, not quite ready yet. I have 72 sticks I've bought on deals just waiting for their new rest home. Got 65% beads for this one, 2 large pucks for the top and 2 small for the bottom storage area. Check out the tubes, heartfelt sells empties so you can load them up with whatever beads you want. I have a bag of 70% and a bag of 65% beads which I use in little bowls for better control during seasonal changes and for seasoning.
    Ok. Here we go. Trying to upload my pics. http://www.flickr.com/photos/61856755@N07/5628244520/in/photostream ummm...yeah. didn't work.
    jfaciane:
    Possibly image not sure but think you have to select a jpg or something. There was a blog or something I read on this, do a search on posting. My HTML is rusty brother.
    Even when I copy and paste that address it doesn't allow me to view the pictures so I think the first step is to give permission to let everybody see the photo.

Next, instead of copying the url address in the http bar for the photo go to the little pull-down menu above the photo (when you click on the photo in the photostream and it goes to its own page there are little action menus above the photo you can access). One of these options is grab the url address and another is grab the html address.

Grab the html address, copy that and paste it back here. If there is any address before the < img. you can get rid of it, the beginning of the address you want starts with < img. Try that.
    If you quote this post you will see the code for this picture and then you can see what I was talking about with the address starting with an img behind the back arrow:

schooner Stephen Tabor
    Thanks bigharpoon. Let's try this again. Ok, 300ct pic. I didn't open it because I'm trying to keep the humidity steady. New 300 ct humidor And my 50ct that WAS full, I transfered all the gars to the 300ct. 50ct filled
  • KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    I have the same one. great humidor and awesome price. Didnt take long at all to season her up and she is holding a super solid 71% for the last week.

for the time being, you can use the blocks, but the ones that came with this thing suck. they let out ALOT of moisture, so I tossed em and put in 2 jars of PG and distilled water, plus like 3 cigar pillows I had left over from this last shipment. the hygrometer it came with was also off by... 32%!!! won't adust either. I am turning the screw, but it just pops back into place and never changes.

oh well, awesome box.
    I have that same one and love it. I took the green foam out of the black boxes and put in a gel jar and several humi pillows from orders, trades, etc. Trashed the analog hygro for a digital. It's been holding a steady 67-70% for a couple months now. The hygrometer that came with it was absolute garbage though. I salt tested it and it was off by like 40%. Save yourself a lot of time and get a digital.
    Yeah, its bad***! I didn't even try the hygrometer, I just bought a savoy digital and it's accurate holding at 70% +/- 1. I just bought a rectangular gel humidifier for 250+ cigars from my local smoke shop. A DR. RH brand with DR. RH propylene glycol and holding steady. Got about 70 cigars in there now and waiting on a shipment of 10 Gurhka Titans! Will pick up more when I get paid next month too.
    Sweet. That is a nice humi brother. Life is good when you have a loaded humi, and even more room for daily deals. Enjoy
  • RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    The3Stogies:
    Sweet. That is a nice humi brother. Life is good when you have a loaded humi, and even more room for daily deals. Enjoy

+1
    RCY Cigars:
    The3Stogies:

+1

Alas, I have no more room :0(

But with CigarFest coming up, I think I have the wife talked into a coolidor!
  • KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    im about to fill this sucker up too, but im shooting for a wineidor. Wanted a coolidor, but something about the unique look of a wineidor is just way too attractive to me. Just can't find many models that fit my needs, and I don't have alot of time to custom make cedar shelves and drawers and stuff, at least not for the next 3 weeks.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    If you quote this post you will see the code for this picture and then you can see what I was talking about with the address starting with an img behind the back arrow:

schooner Stephen Tabor
    Ooooooooooooooo sex! Love it

(Nice humi jfaciane!)
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
    Hays:
    bigharpoon:

schooner Stephen Tabor
    Ooooooooooooooo sex! Love it

(Nice humi jfaciane!)
    Sexy is right! There are a lot of schooners in Maine and we have the pleasure of sailing close to them and anchoring near them all the time. This particular one is the oldest documented vessel in continuous service in the U.S., built in 1871!
    bigharpoon:
    Sexy is right! There are a lot of schooners in Maine and we have the pleasure of sailing close to them and anchoring near them all the time. This particular one is the oldest documented vessel in continuous service in the U.S., built in 1871!
    That's awesome.. are you a sailor?

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
    Hays:
    bigharpoon:
    Yes, I sail the loving God out of my 27' Bristol. I've done a lot of modifications to it to make it very shippy. Sailing is pretty much what I live for.
    bigharpoon:
    Hays:
    bigharpoon:
    Yes, I sail the loving God out of my 27' Bristol. I've done a lot of modifications to it to make it very shippy. Sailing is pretty much what I live for.
    How the hell have we not connected over this????