Home General Discussion

just got back from Oregon!

Hey guys I just got back from Oregon. I visited some family and the Oregon wine country! What a wonderful place to have a cigar and a glass of wine!!!

If you ever get the chance dont pass it up. The Northwest is breath taking in beauty!!!

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    rednek:
    Hey guys I just got back from Oregon. I visited some family and the Oregon wine country! What a wonderful place to have a cigar and a glass of wine!!!

If you ever get the chance dont pass it up. The Northwest is breath taking in beauty!!!
    I bet it is beautiful, one of the places I'd love to go.

I'm surprised you were allowed to smoke a cigar there at all though, they are one of the states that has a total ban on smoking including tobacco shops AND they raised their taxes so high they put the places out of business.
  • rednekrednek Posts: 15
    well I was sitting on the porch of my Grandmothers cabin on one of the mountains when I did the smoking so I figured I would be alright I had brought a couple of sticks from home and kept them in my suitcase.
    rednek:
    well I was sitting on the porch of my Grandmothers cabin on one of the mountains when I did the smoking so I figured I would be alright I had brought a couple of sticks from home and kept them in my suitcase.
    Good thinking lol.
  • rednekrednek Posts: 15
    Ha ha it happens from time to time!
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Does that mean that you can not smoke at your own house outside or inside?
    No its not quite California, lol. No Just inside any "public" buildings. Public is in quotes because I disagree that a privately owned business falls into the category of public and therefore is fair game for these types of laws.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Actually the taxes aren't too bad, but that might be why my shop(s) are higher than say Ccom on some things. Though right now you can smoke in bars and there are a couple of cigar bars. I like Oregon for the vacationing and landscapes but as far as living here, I want to move. The city doesn't have what I want, and it's hard to find nice areas to live without steep property taxes and steep laws on zoning. Plus it rains too damn much to relax outside..
    Interesting. I read a whole article on Oregon and how they drove up taxes to the point where the majority of retailers went away bc they were 2 and 3 times the price online. The article also talked about their total ban on smoking. WTF?!? I hate piss poor reporting. Unless I have the state wrong ... but what would I confuse with Oregon?
  • madurofan:
    Interesting. I read a whole article on Oregon and how they drove up taxes to the point where the majority of retailers went away bc they were 2 and 3 times the price online. The article also talked about their total ban on smoking. WTF?!? I hate piss poor reporting. Unless I have the state wrong ... but what would I confuse with Oregon?
    Ohio?
    Well there are only 2 cigar shops around me that I can think of, there are some cig shops though. Maybe the cigar shop shortage is due to the taxes. But in the scheme of things only one shop is worth a damn..
    These Filthy Hands:
    madurofan:
    Ohio?
    You guys are smoke free?
    I don't know why people are continuing a war on cigar bars and such. I mean it's cool that you can't smoke in restaurants, malls and such, but when it comes to places that are directly for it then leave it alone. I read an article, not sure if it was here but it stated that these groups are going after cigar bars and smoke bars. I think that's just too much.
    phobicsquirrel:
    I don't know why people are continuing a war on cigar bars and such. I mean it's cool that you can't smoke in restaurants, malls and such, but when it comes to places that are directly for it then leave it alone. I read an article, not sure if it was here but it stated that these groups are going after cigar bars and smoke bars. I think that's just too much.
    I'm with you squirrel. I understand the malls and any other trully public buildings. But if a restaurant or any other kind of stand alone facility with an outdoor entrance wants to allow smoking in their establishment that should be their right. If you don't like it don't go.

A friend of the family owns a bar in a real touristy club hopping part of Virginia Beach and he was the first one to go smoke free and it doubled and at times tripled his business. I thought that was great for him, I'm all for non smoking places. I mean there are times I want to eat dinner without smoke but it should be the owners choice and not forced upon them.

We are slowly giving away our rights and no one is complaining. First we're giving away our rights in the name of public safety and now its just gotten to the point where we're losing rights so that some idiot can sleep better at night because they feel they are protecting me from myself. Where does it end?
    It's like prohibition all over again. I think the reason they are trying to go after cigar bars, etc... is that there is staff that helps you and they want to "protect" them even if they don't want to be protected. I think that if someone wants to work for a cigar bar and smoking IS allowed at the establishment then it is their choice to work. If the don't like the rules, don't work there!!!!!

We truly are loosing our rights as Americans and not just with smoking!
    rwheelwright:
    It's like prohibition all over again. I think the reason they are trying to go after cigar bars, etc... is that there is staff that helps you and they want to "protect" them even if they don't want to be protected. I think that if someone wants to work for a cigar bar and smoking IS allowed at the establishment then it is their choice to work. If the don't like the rules, don't work there!!!!!

Whats even mre etarded about that idea is they are going to be protected right out of a job. These places won't be around if you can't smoke in them. This isn't a restaurant where people still have to eat. If you can't smoke in a cigar bar, you don't go any more.
    madurofan:
    rwheelwright:

Whats even mre etarded about that idea is they are going to be protected right out of a job. These places won't be around if you can't smoke in them. This isn't a restaurant where people still have to eat. If you can't smoke in a cigar bar, you don't go any more.
    Brother, I agree. I think it sucks! I heard something recently that they are trying to ban smoking while driving. Similar to talking on the phone while driving.
    rwheelwright:
    madurofan:
    rwheelwright:

Brother, I agree. I think it sucks! I heard something recently that they are trying to ban smoking while driving. Similar to talking on the phone while driving.
    Rather than all of this banning stuff why don't we just do away with any laws that protect you from yourself. Darwinism will fix a lot of society's problems. Second we need to do something about the biggest problem we have in America. Stupid people are breeding faster than intelligent ones.
    madurofan:
    rwheelwright:
    madurofan:
    rwheelwright:

Rather than all of this banning stuff why don't we just do away with any laws that protect you from yourself. Darwinism will fix a lot of society's problems. Second we need to do something about the biggest problem we have in America. Stupid people are breeding faster than intelligent ones.
    "Second we need to do something about the biggest problem we have in America. Stupid people are breeding faster than intelligent ones". I couldn't agree more. I **** hate those people!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    These Filthy Hands:
    madurofan:
    Ohio?
    You guys are smoke free?
    the only way you can smoke in a building is if it is:
    a) a standalone building
    AND
    2) you get more than 50% of your profit from tobacco sales.

its kind of related so i recommend you check this thread out again
    rwheelwright:
    madurofan:
    rwheelwright:
    madurofan:
    rwheelwright:

"Second we need to do something about the biggest problem we have in America. Stupid people are breeding faster than intelligent ones". I couldn't agree more. I **** hate those people!
    HAHAHA, that's funny. I'd agree with this. I've been saying this for a long time. What happened to intelligent people..? I guess intelligence and educated are two completely different things.