Home Cigar 101

coolerdor

Hey guys I am about to build myself a coolerdor and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to use and what not. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!  Thanks

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Make sure you get one of the 3 or 5 day coolers. Second I'd recommend getting a Cigar Oasis AND a ton of heartfelt beads.
  • prs621prs621 Posts: 19
    Should I line the interior with cedar or just get a bunch of cigar boxes in there? I have heard a little about both just wondering which is better.
    prs621:
    Should I line the interior with cedar or just get a bunch of cigar boxes in there? I have heard a little about both just wondering which is better.
    Either/Or. Its really up to you. I broke up a RP Edge box and used two sided tape to stick a few pieces of cedar to the walls and I have boxes in there as well... its really all up to you but i would recommend SOME cedar.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    id just leave the boxes in there. im far to lazy to break appart boxes. plus boxes are a good way to sort and store.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    I wouldnt bother with lining the walls with cedar, I just store the cigars in boxes. I would recomend fixing a fan inside the cooler though, mine tends to get a little musty at the bottom if there is no fan. if you dont have one I would suggest looking at computer shops for a video card or small processor heat sink. I just mounted a fan with an old heatsink in the cooler, the air movement is not much but it helps a lot. then power the fan with a 9~12 volt ac/dc power adaptor.
    If you get a cigar oasis, it has a built in fan.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    madurofan:
    Make sure you get one of the 3 or 5 day coolers.
    What the deuce are "3 or 5 day coolers"?
    urbino:
    madurofan:
    Make sure you get one of the 3 or 5 day coolers.
    What the deuce are "3 or 5 day coolers"?
    Basically if you fill it full of ice its guaranteed not to melt for 3 or 5 days whichever the rating is. The reasoning here is that its a much better seal and will hold the temp more consistently therefore helping hold a more consistent RH. The first cooler I had was just a plain jane cooler and I had to add water to my oasis every couple weeks, the new one is a 5 day and I haven't had to add water since. 2 months I think.
    Huh. I've never heard them rated that way. Makes sense, though. I've got no idea what mine is. It's just a cooler from Wal-Mart. Seems to hold a good seal, though.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I love my coolerdor, I think it is a great way to achieve inexpensive, bulk storage. I have a 120 quart Igloo brand cooler that I picked up from the Wal-mart for about $60-$70, I forget exactly and I use it for box storage with a Cigar Oasis to maintain humidity. The thing holds humidity great and it has enough internal size to comfortably store quite a few boxes. I can't recommend it enough, though I will say it is not the best looking thing...but hell, it gets the job done with gusto.
    That's probably the same one I bought, Joe. I can't remember if mine's a Coleman or an Igloo, but I think it's an Igloo. I use it for both box and loose storage.
  • prs621prs621 Posts: 19
    I thought a cooler was a cooler but guess i was wrong, anyway i got one from wal-mart seems to have a good seal moderately inexpensive we will see how it goes.