Home Cigar 101

rookie, first post

baknoxbaknox Posts: 15
Hi guys, I'm pretty new to the game, more of an occassional smoker. I've been ordering infused cigars from this website off and on for a few years now, no large quantities or anything, but a handfull of cigars every once in a while. Recently, I've started trying other cigars, and just last week got a little carried away with my ordering. I ended up getting 4 tins of the infused gigars, a samppler pack, a few diesel'sand a nub 460, only to turn around and order 2 must buy sampler packs the next day through an email offer. I took a couple of the Ghurka Crests up and had one with my father in law for his birthday. Only problem now is I went overboard on the cigars and haven't dove into purchasing a humidor yet. Will I be alright just keeping the humi pillows charged in the ziplock bags they were shipped in?

Comments

• rossdavey2rossdavey2 Posts: 979
    Yip or start looking at a tuperdor, or coolidor. When I started I got one of those air tight clear jars out of walmart (think it was around $5) and put my humi pillow in that with the sticks. Just keep the infused sticks apart from the other sticks. The flavors will seep into the reg sticks.
  • baknox:
    Hi guys, I'm pretty new to the game, more of an occassional smoker. I've been ordering infused cigars from this website off and on for a few years now, no large quantities or anything, but a handfull of cigars every once in a while. Recently, I've started trying other cigars, and just last week got a little carried away with my ordering. I ended up getting 4 tins of the infused gigars, a samppler pack, a few diesel'sand a nub 460, only to turn around and order 2 must buy sampler packs the next day through an email offer. I took a couple of the Ghurka Crests up and had one with my father in law for his birthday. Only problem now is I went overboard on the cigars and haven't dove into purchasing a humidor yet. Will I be alright just keeping the humi pillows charged in the ziplock bags they were shipped in?

Welcome to the forums. First things first: Yes, you will be alright for now keeping the humi pillows charged in the ziplock backs and leaving your cigars in there.
    In fact, many ccom personnel have told me they leave pillows in a ziploc with some cigars with the bag OPEN to keep air exchange going and the cigars are fine (also helps they probably have turnover since they are avid smokers).

We will turn you into a reasonably adept snob soon enough in which case you'll want a decent desktop humidor with heartfelt beads or boveda packs or a medium to large cooler that simply needs a shot glass of distilled water or boveda packs and some calibrated hygrometers.

But until that time, enjoy your sticks and keep them in your ziploc with pillows until you're comfortable with which way you want to go in bumping your cigar-keeping capacity.

In agreement with the above post, make sure you keep your infused/flavored cigars seperate from your regular sticks.

Wilkommen!

• lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Take your time, do your homework, save some money and then invest in a humidor.

Advice I wish I had before I bought my first humi......
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Throw away the infused cigars and call me in the morning.
  • lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    welcome to the forums. send me a pm and ill see if i could help out.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    baknox:
    Hi guys, I'm pretty new to the game, more of an occassional smoker.
    Stick around and we'll fix that ;)
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    beatnic:
    Buy the largest humidor you can afford! Just do it
  • jfacianejfaciane Posts: 242
    beatnic:
    Or you can just give them to me, lol. Welcome to the boards dude.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard. Enjoy the ride.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum. Ziplocks are good, tupperware is better. I've worked in plastic for 35 years, and I am not too keen on storing my cigars, or anything, for too long in plastic. Get a humi as soon as you can. I got a small 50 count first, good for learning how to season and maintain it before you move up to a larger humi, and you will need a larger humi. The original humi will now be you daily and the larger for aging/resting. Good luck
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome. Buy a big humidor and get a second job, you're hooked!
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    Send me your address and Ill write you a letter on how to season a humidor...
  • baknoxbaknox Posts: 15
    Thanks guys, pm's sent Just smoked one of my diesel's last night I was having some trouble with my cigars burning a little uneven and read on here that that can be from puffin on em too much, so I slowed it down a lil with the diesel and it burned pretty even and was more enjoyable.
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    baknox...PM coming your way.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Welcome to the forum!
  • mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    Welcome to the Brotherhood.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    yup, welcome to the boards man.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    welcome to the boards....and def invest in a humi. A word of advice when ordering one...which ever size u THINK you need, get one twice as big. That sounds crazy, but trust me. Ie, if u think u want a 150ct humi, get a 300ct.

"Long ashes my friends."

• jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    beleive me, save up and get atleast a 250, i started with a 25, then 50, then a 100, 1 more 100, a 250 treasure dome and last a 300 el grande, almost all full
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    "Do not trust the horse, Trojans. Whatever it is, I fear the Greeks even when they bring gifts." Virgil's Aeneid