Home General Discussion

New Deck *updated w/ pics*

KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
Well, next week I will getting a deck put in around my pool. Been saving up for it for a few years now, and finally, we are getting it built next week. Thinking about going and picking up another one of those AF Anejo sharks to break it in! Gonna be nice and relaxing sitting by my pool and enjoying a cigar.

"Long ashes my friends."

Comments

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Sweet, I love a nice deck!
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Now you can literally "Hit the DECK!"
    I always knew you wanted a bigger DECK
    With any leftover wood you can "DECK" the halls (Of your home)
    Just don't let your lady friend see if your neighbor has a bigger DECKthan you
    Keep your DECK clean
    Don't splash around in your pool, you don't want to get your DECK wet....
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    See above post
  • doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    Congrats man! Post some pics when you get it all finished!
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah we want some before & after pics. Congrats and enjoy.
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    jsnake:
    Yeah we want some before & after pics. Congrats and enjoy.
    Before and after pics of his "Deck"? What?
    All kidding asside, enjoy your new deck, but not too much (blush).

• boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    Lasabar:
    bigharpoon:
    See above post
    F***, LOL

In all seriousness though, I'd love to see some before and after pictures.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Nice! Def a must on the before and after pictures
  • RoyalCigarsRoyalCigars Posts: 106
    I dont know if you have a man cave but, now it looks like you have a new summer edition man cave....so to speak. Barbecues, cold beer, warm weather, smoking buddies, juicy steaks and fresh cigars. Congrats Kreig, and thanks ccom. Let Summer good times begin!
    -Regards and Long Ashes!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    Well, next week I will getting a deck put in around my pool. Been saving up for it for a few years now, and finally, we are getting it built next week. Thinking about going and picking up another one of those AF Anejo sharks to break it in! Gonna be nice and relaxing sitting by my pool and enjoying a cigar.
    ill be over 20 minutes after it is done being built.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Krieg:
    lol, sounds good Kuzi...got some Davidoffs w/ your name on them waiting on ya ;)

"Long ashes my friends."

Krieg:
    kuzi16:
    Krieg:
    lol, sounds good Kuzi...got some Davidoffs w/ your name on them waiting on ya ;)
    Your Davidoffs are named Joe??? lol.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    Krieg:
    kuzi16:
    Krieg:
    wait... who?
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    kuzi16:
    bigharpoon:
    Krieg:
    kuzi16:
    Krieg:
    wait... who?
    See? Im not the only one around here who cant keep my kuzi's and my j0z3r's straight! LOL
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    You are gonna LOVE that deck Krieg! Few things in my world more relaxing than kicking back on the deck on a nice spring or summer evening & enjoying a good smoke, with the kids splashing around and raising he11 in the pool. Makes everything you do for them seems very worth it. :-)

The Sniper:
    You are gonna LOVE that deck Krieg! Few things in my world more relaxing than kicking back on the deck on a nice spring or summer evening & enjoying a good smoke, with the kids splashing around and raising he11 in the pool. Makes everything you do for them seems very worth it. :-)

I was thinking the exact samething

"Long ashes my friends."

The Sniper:
    kuzi16:
    bigharpoon:
    Krieg:
    kuzi16:
    Krieg:
    wait... who?
    See? Im not the only one around here who cant keep my kuzi's and my j0z3r's straight! LOL
    LOL!

"Long ashes my friends."

• The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the deck, what is the decking made of, cedar? Just leave it for a bit before staining, the smell is great while you’re sitting there. Many happy deck moments and smokes brother. When is the christening, we'll be over.
    The3Stogies:
    Congrats on the deck, what is the decking made of, cedar? Just leave it for a bit before staining, the smell is great while you’re sitting there. Many happy deck moments and smokes brother. When is the christening, we'll be over.
    I assume its cedar, honestly, I forgot to ask. All I know about the wood is that's pressure treated. I was wondering when to stain it though. If it's pressure treated, probably have to wait for the wood to open up a little. He's gonna start on Tuesday, and since I'll be at work I am thinking about setting up a webcam, and since it supports dynamic DNS, probably gonna be able to watch it from the www. If I can get it to work, I'll post the address here and you guys can watch it getting built along with me.

"Long ashes my friends."

• The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    The3Stogies:
    I assume its cedar, honestly, I forgot to ask. All I know about the wood is that's pressure treated. I was wondering when to stain it though. If it's pressure treated, probably have to wait for the wood to open up a little. He's gonna start on Tuesday, and since I'll be at work I am thinking about setting up a webcam, and since it supports dynamic DNS, probably gonna be able to watch it from the www. If I can get it to work, I'll post the address here and you guys can watch it getting built along with me.
    It's going to be a good addition and bring you many hours of enjoyment, I assure you. And maybe less lawn mowing where the deck is too. When you are furnishing it I might suggest a large swing with a canope, very relaxing in the evening. My deck is framed in pressure treated and the rails are PT too. Let them set a few months, they crack and splinter a little. Sand them down, pressure treated splinters suck, and stain or prime. Of course it is hotter where you are so I don't know, better ask some experts. What a good feeling it will be though when you're relaxing on your new deck with friends and family, smoking a good stick and just enjoying your good fortune. That will be a good cigar indeed, brother.
    The3Stogies:
    Krieg:
    The3Stogies:
    It's going to be a good addition and bring you many hours of enjoyment, I assure you. And maybe less lawn mowing where the deck is too. When you are furnishing it I might suggest a large swing with a canope, very relaxing in the evening. My deck is framed in pressure treated and the rails are PT too. Let them set a few months, they crack and splinter a little. Sand them down, pressure treated splinters suck, and stain or prime. Of course it is hotter where you are so I don't know, better ask some experts. What a good feeling it will be though when you're relaxing on your new deck with friends and family, smoking a good stick and just enjoying your good fortune. That will be a good cigar indeed, brother.
    I couldn't agree more, def gonna be a great stick. I will ask the deck guy and see when I should stain. If anyone will know for sure, it should be him.

"Long ashes my friends."

Pressure treated lumber is almost always soaking wet when you, or your contractor, pick it up from the yard. At the very least you need to let it dry out before doing anything. It won't rot so there's no harm in waiting. BTW, pressure treated is usually southern yellow pine, really nice wood.
  • Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic! We have a deck the length of our house overlooking a creek. Very peaceful with a nice stick and adult beverage. You are gonna love it for sure.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    If its' pressure treated, its pine. If you put it down right, and you get to warping or cupping, you can wait a year before you seal it. The sealer and stain, if any, works better on dry wood. If you want the dect to look good for a long time, don't use nails. Use wood screws (drywall screws actually work well). And if you never want to see a split, drill pilot holes first. Pain in the ass, but well worth it.
  • cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    beatnic:
    If its' pressure treated, its pine. If you put it down right, and you get to warping or cupping, you can wait a year before you seal it. The sealer and stain, if any, works better on dry wood. If you want the dect to look good for a long time, don't use nails. Use wood screws (drywall screws actually work well). And if you never want to see a split, drill pilot holes first. Pain in the ass, but well worth it.
    no disrespecct Beatnic but if you use drywall screws I'll come kick your butt (Just kidding) but don't do it, they have no sheer strangth and will snap if you hit a hard spot also will not suck down a cupped board, and will rust over time (no weather pertection). There are deck screws designed for PT lumber at your local home emprovment store, expensive but stronge and will not rust worth the $50. Also Pt can contain up to 20% moisture and needs several months to dry as said before 6 months is a good time frame before sealer/stain. To avoid cracks, at board ends yes predrilling is a smart way to go, but not needed anywere else on board as long as you put screw in 3/4 " or more from outside edge. Also Pt shrinks alot do to all that moisure so I recommend tight fits. My .06 cents. BTW Congrates on the deck!!!!!!
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    I was gonna get a new deck, but then I decided I could just keep playing solitaire on the computer.
    zoom6zoom:
    I was gonna get a new deck, but then I decided I could just keep playing solitaire on the computer.
    winning at a game of solitaire is almost just as rewarding as a new deck. ;)

"Long ashes my friends."

• ScottUScottU Posts: 194
    Awesome kreig, I am hoping to get a new deck in a couple weeks, it needs to warm up here first!
    Well I'd figured since I talked about it so much, I might as well share some pics w/ u guys. The deck turned out great, only now I have to seal it...probably gonna start on that next weekend.

"Long ashes my friends."

• YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks great! Enjoy.