Home Cigar 101

Double and triple caps?

Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
I've never seen this addressed, but I'm not great at searching. Maybe someone can help me out by directing me or help a bunch of us out by explaining.

How does one tell if a cigar's cap is single, double, or triple? Am I even getting that correct? Are there quadruple and quintuple caps? The most I've ever seen referred to is a triple.
^Troll: DO NOT FEED.

Comments

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Usually you can see them and count them. The first, bottom one is the biggest, then they get progressively smaller so you can see the edge and about 1/16" of the cap before the next one covers it. DPG is a good example of someone who usually uses 3 caps. I've never heard of more than that. Lots of sticks have 2.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    The number of lines/wraps on the cap. Padron uses single caps. DPG and Cuban Cigars use triple caps.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    I'll have to look more closely before I cut and dive in then. :)

Logical follow-up, though: what's the point? You're just going to cut it off anyway, right? Is it just a mark of the torcedor's ability?
    You cut the top cap off, or if there is only one cap you cut the top of it off, but you leave the rest on to keep the wrapper from unraveling. The cap holds the wrapper on. If you have multiple caps the odds of having the whole thing unravel in your hands is greatly reduced because the head of the cigar is a nice, tight bundle.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    You cut the top cap off, or if there is only one cap you cut the top of it off, but you leave the rest on to keep the wrapper from unraveling. The cap holds the wrapper on. If you have multiple caps the odds of having the whole thing unravel in your hands is greatly reduced because the head of the cigar is a nice, tight bundle.
    you stole my line!
    That makes a whole lot of sense. And I clearly should be looking more closely to get better cuts. I was just kinda guesstimating and hoping for the best.
    kuzi16:
    bigharpoon:
    you stole my line!
    Oops, which line is yours?
    Ken Light:
    That makes a whole lot of sense. And I clearly should be looking more closely to get better cuts. I was just kinda guesstimating and hoping for the best.
    set your guillotine cutter flat on a table. place the head of the cigar in the cutter. snip. that should be about where you want to be.
    some like more. some like less. i cut off less than that.
    bigharpoon:
    kuzi16:
    bigharpoon:
    you stole my line!
    Oops, which line is yours?
    im just saying that is almost exactly what i would say
    kuzi16:
    Ken Light:
    set your guillotine cutter flat on a table. place the head of the cigar in the cutter. snip. that should be about where you want to be.
    Wow, really? Gonna try that tonight. Next thing I know I'm gonna find out I'm lighting the wrong end. You do light the end you cut, right? ....heh ;)
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Ken Light:
    kuzi16:
    Ken Light:
    Wow, really? Gonna try that tonight. Next thing I know I'm gonna find out I'm lighting the wrong end. You do light the end you cut, right? ....heh ;)
    Cuban Crafters makes this nifty cutter with a metal back plate, so get the right cut every time.