Home General Discussion

Morro Castle cigars

ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
Can anyone vouch for these.  The descriptions make them sound very cubanesque.

Comments

• alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    I may be in the minority here, but I didn't care for the one I had. I thought it was pretty one-dimensional and forgetful. It wasn't a bad smoke really, but I think it would be more of a yard-gar or golf stick than a cigar to sit around and really enjoy. Just my personal take on it.
  • They are fantastic. They start out with a smooth earthy taste, and then the last 1/3rd gives a fantastic oak flavor.

These and the San Miguel (more peppery) made me a fan of Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapped sticks and I'll gladly take these gems off anyone's hands.

• robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    I'm probably somewhere in between these two views... I really enjoyed the cigar and keep them in stock and in my rotation, but they are not the best thing I have ever had... they do lack complexity but I wouldn't call them completely one dimentional either... but I will agree with the comment on the wrapper... they really remind me of the AJ Signature Series and it wouldn't shock me to find out they they are the same blend...
  • I'm with Robby on this one for the most part. The first one I had was awesome and I bought a box cause they were a really good deal. The one I've had from the box had some harshness to it so I'm letting them rest more. So maybe they are are hit or miss or just had a wierd one the second time? Either was they are pretty solid and worth a try.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    I bought a box with out trying these and only did so because it ended up cost me less than 2 bucks a stick shipped ...... I have had two of them and while I wasn't blown away, I would not call the a yard dog ..... I think that there may be a potential for aging since the second I smoked was rested for close to 4 months where as the first was smoked a week after I got it. On a side not I bought the belicoso's and have found that 4 of the 20 sticks have wrapper imperfections at the cap.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Only had one so far. The wrapper blew up and split on me. Haven't tried another one. No real opinion on it though since I haven't really smoked one yet. I'm not rushing out to try another one though.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Tim sent me a 10 pack a while ago. This stick is all about the wrapper. The fillers are so so. Its' a very earthy smoke, not much bling, but I'm really satisfied by the time I finish it.
  • crzydimnd68crzydimnd68 Posts: 139 ✭✭
    This stick was my 75 year old Father's first.I lit it for him and he puffed away while sitting in a boat on the Columbia river waiting for the Spring Chinook to bite.Paired with Sol De Mexico Reposado Tequila.When I asked him how it was he replied,"It's not offensive".And continued to smoke 2/3 of it.Something I will always remember.
  • MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    drpepperdude:
    They are fantastic. They start out with a smooth earthy taste, and then the last 1/3rd gives a fantastic oak flavor.

These and the San Miguel (more peppery) made me a fan of Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapped sticks and I'll gladly take these gems off anyone's hands.

+1 I totally enjoyed this stick
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    I can't get past it sharing a name with a maritime disaster.

The SS Morro Castle was a luxury cruise ship of the 1930s that was built for the Ward Line for runs between New York City and Havana, Cuba. The Morro Castle was named for the Morro Castle fortress that guards the entrance to Havana Bay.

In the early morning hours of Saturday, 8 September 1934, en route from Havana to New York, the ship caught fire and burned, killing a total of 137 passengers and crew members. The ship eventually beached herself near Asbury Park, New Jersey and remained there for several months until she was eventually towed away and sold for scrap.

The devastating fire aboard the SS Morro Castle was a catalyst for improved shipboard fire safety. Today, the use of fire retardant materials, automatic fire doors, ship-wide fire alarms, and greater attention to fire drills and procedures resulted directly from the Morro Castle disaster.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Castillo de los Tres Reyes Magos del Morro is a picturesque fortress guarding the entrance to Havana bay in Havana, Cuba. Not to be confused with the maritime disaster of the same name. I loved this stick
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    I was a fan of the Morro Castle. Here is link to my review if you are curious.

http://wbfiller.com/smoke-of-the-week-morro-castle-toro-cigar-review-by-tony-yan/
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    anyone dont like the morro castle pm me ill trade
  • crzydimnd68:
    This stick was my 75 year old Father's first.I lit it for him and he puffed away while sitting in a boat on the Columbia river waiting for the Spring Chinook to bite.Paired with Sol De Mexico Reposado Tequila.When I asked him how it was he replied,"It's not offensive".And continued to smoke 2/3 of it.Something I will always remember.
    Good story, and good memory. I'm in Vancouver WA and haven't fished for spring Chinook for a couple of years, and wasn't smoking at that time. A good, or "not offensive", cigar sure would have helped pass the time. Haven't tried the Morro Castles, and probably won't - too many other excellent sticks in the queue.
  • ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
    Nice review...thanks
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    I wasn't impressed at all. I got 5 of them, smoked two then gave away the rest.
  • Russ55:
    Only had one so far. The wrapper blew up and split on me. Haven't tried another one. No real opinion on it though since I haven't really smoked one yet. I'm not rushing out to try another one though.
    I had one a few nights ago. My wrapper unraveled as I smoked it. Other than that I enjoyed it. But I was also glad it was the only one I had.