Home Non Cigar Related

So much stress

GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
We bought a house and got insurance but the insurance company decided to cancel our insurance because they dont like our roof type so we got new insurance. We just got a letter that we have been dropped from that one too!!!! This one said it was due to our credit score but that was 780ish before we bought the house and I know they checked a few times but how can this be happening!!!

This is so freaking frustrating. They sent us a note saying we were denied but then 5 days later we got a letter congradulating us on our new policy. I have no idea what is going on.

Comments

• gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that. I know it doesn't seem like it right now, but you'll get through this...hang in there brother!
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    The worst part is that if we can't get home insurance to stick by the 19th of may we default on the mortgage.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Ohhhhmmmmmmm.
    Ohhhhmmmmmmm.
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    I was in exactly the same situation many, many years ago. Living in a small home with 2 babies and the wife left a basket or laundry on a space heater. Well, the space heater kicked on in the middle of the night and we were lucky to get out alive thanks to the smoke detector. The fire damage was minimal (had it out before the fire department got there) but the insurance company denied our claim because of the roofing material.
    We had to re-shingle the roof by the end of the month or we would be in default of our mortgage. It was our only option. If you can't do it yourself, see if you can find a contractor willing to take payments for the job. Some contractors may let you pay over 3 months.....I know it's still a pain, but at least you will be able to get insurance I hope?

I wish you the best of luck with this one

• rossdavey2rossdavey2 Posts: 979
    When you got the home inspection didn't the inspector bring this up? Our inspector was lazy as hell and missed 700 bats living in a wall. We got the money back for it which help pay to get the bats out. Talk to your realitor they might be able to point you in the right direction.
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    camgfs:
    I was in exactly the same situation many, many years ago. Living in a small home with 2 babies and the wife left a basket or laundry on a space heater. Well, the space heater kicked on in the middle of the night and we were lucky to get out alive thanks to the smoke detector. The fire damage was minimal (had it out before the fire department got there) but the insurance company denied our claim because of the roofing material.
    We had to re-shingle the roof by the end of the month or we would be in default of our mortgage. It was our only option. If you can't do it yourself, see if you can find a contractor willing to take payments for the job. Some contractors may let you pay over 3 months.....I know it's still a pain, but at least you will be able to get insurance I hope?

I wish you the best of luck with this one

Well the issue is that the roof is in good condition but the underwriters of the insurance company dont want to insure flat roofs. Ours isn't really flat, its low slope but they knew that when I applied for insurance. In order to make them happy I would need to replace the roof with a pitched roof which simply isn't going to happen.

I just logged into my new insurance website and it says that I have a policy but that denial letter still bugs me. I just want to be 100% sure that I have this so things dont get worse.