Home General Discussion
Options

What Would You Do?

DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
Ok so I found 8 Cohiba Gran Reservas at a discounted price that I would jump on all day long normally. I am flip flopping on what I want to do. The dealer is a La Casa Del Habano franchise which makes it difficult because they are reputable in general. The Gran Reservas they have, they are selling without bands although will include the bands in my purchase, they are saying the bands were cut wrong at the factory (top row of half checkers shouldn't be there) and made it through, so I guess in a sense considered seconds...VERY frustrated with this situation, I want them but obviously don't want to be ripped...here's the pic

Comments

• Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Will the guy give you the same discountd price for all if you just purchase one to test and then if it is any good you may choose to buy the others? I mean he has to have some room to move, the cigars are super expensive and they have a problem. I'd see if I could get one with an offer to purchase the rest if you are satisfied, Good luck bro'.
  • Options
    Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    dam...tough bro...either they are legit...or its totally bogus...but go with what ur gut tells ya man.....they may be the best sticks ever, and you may just have to send me one! lol
  • Options
    lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    From what I remember the factory would never let a cigar out of the factory with the band if there was something wrong with it. It would be cheaper for them to throw the label away (couple cents) compared to discounting the cigar (a lot of $).
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    Will the guy give you the same discountd price for all if you just purchase one to test and then if it is any good you may choose to buy the others? I mean he has to have some room to move, the cigars are super expensive and they have a problem. I'd see if I could get one with an offer to purchase the rest if you are satisfied, Good luck bro'.

I concur with Doug as this is what I was thinking.
  • Options
    lcpleel:
    From what I remember the factory would never let a cigar out of the factory with the band if there was something wrong with it. It would be cheaper for them to throw the label away (couple cents) compared to discounting the cigar (a lot of $).
    This does make a lot of sense, on a 75,000 run of cigars is it possible or practical for them to inspect every single one? You would think at the MSRP on these they would...but Fu&K its coming from a LCDH lol grrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Options
    That's what the owners of the 4 diff LCDH Ive been to have told me.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    +1

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Agree as well. Cohiba is very very strict as to what gets released and I'm sure each one gets inspected. They have a image they represent and you will not be finding 2nd and "bad label" GRs on the market. They wont even make it out of the factory. Cohiba is Cuba's flagship brand.

I would pass if it was me, even if they are $60 each or something. Because I will always have that doubt in the back of my mind.

Better things comes to those who wait....
  • Options
    Ive always stayed away from ISOMS that are funny looking as companies wouldnt risk the reputation of having seconds for most parts.
  • Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    And you know that Cohibas are the #1 counterfeit cigars in the market.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I'm no expert but to me the lettering on "Habana' Cuba" looks to be rather bold, just too thick. Plus I know cubans tend to have mis-alignments, but the GR on the grand reserva label is off center, another red flag.

Now I actually read a thread in another forum where Cuba was cheaply making the BHK 52 bands, less quality holograms and such, but the case was Cuba didn't want to pay the high price for print screening anymore so they outsourced to a cheaper manufacturer, but still, the band on the BHK was cut correctly and lined up properly... this seems fishy
  • Options
    Ya *** it, all makes sense guys thanks.
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    I'm no expert but to me the lettering on "Habana' Cuba" looks to be rather bold, just too thick. Plus I know cubans tend to have mis-alignments, but the GR on the grand reserva label is off center, another red flag.

Now I actually read a thread in another forum where Cuba was cheaply making the BHK 52 bands, less quality holograms and such, but the case was Cuba didn't want to pay the high price for print screening anymore so they outsourced to a cheaper manufacturer, but still, the band on the BHK was cut correctly and lined up properly... this seems fishy
    It's hard to tell from the pic, but does it only have a double cap? Cohibas would have the triple cap
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    zeebra:
    I would pass if it was me, even if they are $60 each or something. Because I will always have that doubt in the back of my mind. .
    Yep. When you're spending that much money, the product needs to be perfect. End of story.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    This is what really pisses me off. First places like to up their prices way over MSRP then places/people will put out fake ISOM's. I feel for ya, but like what the others said, seems fishy.
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    Lasabar:

It's hard to tell from the pic, but does it only have a double cap? Cohibas would have the triple cap
    good eye lassy! ...a bit early in the morning though I suspect, what only one half rack done and you have better eyes than me. Hell-a cool... lol
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Even some LCDH owners have been known to do some fishy stuff unfortunately... fakes, mis-representing what products are...
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That bad row is one of the clues to a counterfeit! Seriously consider what you do with your hard earned money. I know you want them but I don't want to see you get ripped off. Consider the factory would have a HUGE amount of bands screwed up and not just for a box or two. Bands are made in large bulk and if those bands were jacked they would redo them. They would not put them on tons of product and ship them out the door probably knowing that the error is one of the well known signs of a counterfeit. I always hate to break it to my friends and family that bring so called CC back from Mexico. I hate seeing people get ripped off.
  • Options
    letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    docbp87:
    Even some LCDH owners have been known to do some fishy stuff unfortunately... fakes, mis-representing what products are...
    thats interesting, I never knew that. I suppose its common sense but I always figured they were completely legit. That kind of sucks.
  • Options
    One of the funniest things ive seen at a LCDH was a box of Partagas that was ruined (torn wrapper) was re-wrapped with the house blend wrappers re-banded with the same Partagas band and re-stocked.
  • Options
    lcpleel:
    One of the funniest things ive seen at a LCDH was a box of Partagas that was ruined (torn wrapper) was re-wrapped with the house blend wrappers re-banded with the same Partagas band and re-stocked.
    really? wtf. was this stated on the cigars for sale?
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't risk it, but again, I wouldn't pay $60 for ANY cigar.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    alienmisprint:
    If had the bread, I would, but I just can't afford it. It's all relative I think.
  • Options
    dwayne3307dwayne3307 Posts: 272
    Russ55:
    zeebra:
    I would pass if it was me, even if they are $60 each or something. Because I will always have that doubt in the back of my mind. .
    Yep. When you're spending that much money, the product needs to be perfect. End of story.
    +1
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    alienmisprint:
    If had the bread, I would, but I just can't afford it. It's all relative I think.
    Agreed. And don't get me wrong, if I was Bill Gates, I'm sure I wouldn't even blink about buying a few boxes of HMR's......to bomb people with, lol. But being a regular, middle-class dude, I just cannot justify spending $60 on something I intend to set fire to. Seriously, I have a very hard time paying more than $60 for shoes.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Look at it this way. If these were presented to you by anyone else you would walk away chuckling about fakes. Just walk away bro
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Diamond... Cohibas at a discounted price. That line alone should be proof that something is wrong. It's used every day on the streets of vacations stops. As much as you would like it to be true, I think it is not. There was a sandwich shop near my house that had Cuban Label cigars for sale. I asked how he could sell these in Illinois. He Said ..." There not Cuban ".. But for twenty buck each you can impress your friends.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    alienmisprint:
    docbp87:
    alienmisprint:
    Agreed. And don't get me wrong, if I was Bill Gates, I'm sure I wouldn't even blink about buying a few boxes of HMR's......to bomb people with, lol. But being a regular, middle-class dude, I just cannot justify spending $60 on something I intend to set fire to. Seriously, I have a very hard time paying more than $60 for shoes.
    If I were Bill Gates, we would all have free cigars
  • Options
    docbp87:
    Lately I've heard that if it's not in a full box together it cannot be trusted... Any singles are subject to fair game, Even in LCDH....

May just be the conspiracy theorists out there, but who can tell these days?
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised the Cohiba factory would allow one of their retailers to conduct business in such a way. Surely word gets back to them some how or other in some manner?