Home General Discussion

New Question / First Love

kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
What was the first cigar that converted you to a true cigar smoker. Not White Owls or Swishers but a true Premium. Mine was the Montesion by Fuentes which sent me on the search for my favorite. After 15 years and well over a thousand cigars, I still enjoy the search for the perfect smoke.

Comments

• MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    Thats a real good question, I guess mine was smoking a Cuban In Saudi watching F16s taking off on afterburner take offs fully loaded at 2 in the morning.....going is this a real cigar must of been a fake but searching for the real thing, smoking cigarettes at the time kinda soured my taste on cigars until I sat in my Dads den, and he offered me a cigar Sol Cubanos kinda converted my to the radical right....now I smoke for the enjoyment not for the habit like cigarettes
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    oh man... it was (and i hate to admit it) a Macanudo Portofino. im not a fan of that cigar anymore but at the time it was the best tobacco that i had ever tried.
    its a long panatela. i still like the shape now and then, but i think i like the thicker cigars now more often.
  • btmislesbtmisles Posts: 125
    Punch Rare Corojo
  • aaronaaron Posts: 14
    I hate to admit it too.  Macanudo Maduros.  and also some Fuentes.  I had a friend give me both and I smoked them both around the same time.  After that, I got on ccom and got a premium sampler.  It didn't take long for me to ditch the macanudos.
  • Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    Hoyo de Monterey Excalibur #2 maduro...and I still have a few from my last box purchase. While I had sampled some premiums before that, that and the partagas #1 maduro still stand out in my mind to this day, 12 years later.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I had quit smoking cigarettes but continued smoking cheap cigars, mainly Hav-A-Tampa Jewels whenever I drank. A buddy of mine offered me a cigar one evening an A. Fuente Curly Head. Shortly there after I had a small humidor and was obsessed. Thats the one that got me hooked however, my wife bought me my first premium cigar as a birthday present. She was only my girlfriend at the time but how could I not marry her after that :)
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Eh don't be embarrassed about the Macanudos. I know plenty of people that keep them on hand for first time or occasional smokers. The fact that they lack any strong flavors is what makes them a good beginners cigar. I've also seen a few tobacconists recommend them to new smokers. While they don't have a place in most of our humi's they do have their place.