Home Ratings & Reviews

Liga Privada #9

Lit up a stick today that I had been aging for a few months, plus it was aged for a while at my local B&M so it was plenty seasoned up and aged a good bit.

Smelling the stick before lighting or cutting brought notes of chocolate, perhaps maple syrup as well? It smelled heavenly and semi sweet, but also had some spice hidden in there, especially around the foot. The wrapper was smooth, had no real oil on the surface, but a light plum all over. I also noted very small veins in the leaf and incredibly good wrapping, with zero blemishes anywhere. Also, no soft or hard spots anywhere.

On lighting it, but before any real puffs, the smoke is thick, blue, and smells heavenly, with notes of that same chocolate, some grass, definitely some syrup or something, as well as a tiny bit of pepper and some softer leather undertones. The draw was very smooth, with very little resistance, and tons of creamy smoke.

The first inch or so was semi hot at first due to the light up, but burned smoothly and went into a perfect and semi cool burn with a straight and even burn that continued all the way through my smoking session. The first third of the cigar was dominated by a sweet and creamy taste with mixes of numerous things like dried fruit, leather, coffee, sweet grass, and earthiness.

The second third was still sweet, but began to get a bit of pepper mingled in with the sweetness that was occasionally going away, only to re-surge in a wave of chocolate and maple goodness that was incredibly pleasant on my tongue... And the smoke that lingered in the air was intoxicatingly good. My fiance (who hates cigars) was asking about it and she noticed the sweetness to it as well.

The last 3 inches of the cigar were a bit more pepper, more leather, less coffee, but definitely some dried fruit, akin to perhaps dried mango or papaya. I never noticed any strong peppers, nor much of a "burn" or sourness or anything that some people note, just sweet, smooth smoke that coated my mouth like velvet and billowed out like the smoothest, creamiest smoke I have probably ever tasted or seen in a cigar so far.

I loved it so much I looked for more online and found out these suckers are hard to come by! I drove to my local B&M and scooped up his last box of #9s and T-52s, and saved a pretty penny off what online retailers where demanding...

Not smoking another for at least 6 months as I want these oily, smooth, and delicious beauties to get some rest before I taste them again.

Comments

• zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Awesome review!! I love this freakin cigar!!! I was able to grab a box of the 9 robusto as well, looking for a box of toros at a good price now.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i like this cigar so much better when it is fresh. you started to hit on the point of the coffee in it in your review. as this cigar ages the coffee comes out more and more. some guys like that. i dont so much. the fresher they are, the more i like them. when they are fresh off the rolling table, they are freakin sweet.
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    i like this cigar so much better when it is fresh. you started to hit on the point of the coffee in it in your review. as this cigar ages the coffee comes out more and more. some guys like that. i dont so much. the fresher they are, the more i like them. when they are fresh off the rolling table, they are freakin sweet.
    Probably the only cigar that you smoke ROTT, eh kuzi?

• KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    Ill be smoking one again in the next few days. I want these guys to settle for a bit, my local B&M had them at 85% humidity when I bought them, plus they are SUPER oily, so I think a week shouldn't hurt much of anything.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I keep looking but the words... sold out, on order, and not available are the common response I find.
  • dwayne3307dwayne3307 Posts: 272
    These are on my " need to get a couple to try " list
    kaspera79:
    I keep looking but the words... sold out, on order, and not available are the common response I find.

I have a box, if you'd want to trade, I'd be more than happy.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Let's switch this over to PMs
    bacon.jay:
    kuzi16:

no.
    i smoke at my B&M often. all of those are fresh. the air bender is quite good fresh. i prefer aged smokes for many occasions. i do like a full bodied smoke that has been aged quite a bit. they have a roundness that many fresh medium cigars dont have even though the power is about the same.
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    bacon.jay:
    kuzi16:

no.
    i smoke at my B&M often. all of those are fresh. the air bender is quite good fresh. i prefer aged smokes for many occasions. i do like a full bodied smoke that has been aged quite a bit. they have a roundness that many fresh medium cigars dont have even though the power is about the same.
    We gotta get together again sometime this summer, I'll bring a couple smokes from my shop. I think you had a Flying Pig from me, didn't you? How'd that ever turn out?

bacon.jay:
    kuzi16:
    bacon.jay:
    kuzi16:

no.
    We gotta get together again sometime this summer, I'll bring a couple smokes from my shop. I think you had a Flying Pig from me, didn't you? How'd that ever turn out?

i agree. we do need to get together again.

it was a camacho PE. its still sitting in the aging humidor. that one is one i find hard to bring myself to smoke. i dont want to not own it anymore.
    Had a second one from my box and it was heavenly. These are by far my most favorite cigars.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Krieger:
    Had a second one from my box and it was heavenly. These are by far my most favorite cigars.
    I originally smoked this one in a robusto I believe, and I enjoyed it for sure. It wasn't until I tried the Dirty Rat that I fell in love with it... that was a phenomenal freakin smoke.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    bacon.jay:
    kuzi16:
    bacon.jay:
    kuzi16:

no.

i agree. we do need to get together again.

it was a camacho PE. its still sitting in the aging humidor. that one is one i find hard to bring myself to smoke. i dont want to not own it anymore.
    Well Well Well...

Look who is showing Stage 1 early onset Obsessive Compulsive Cigar-der!?!?!?!
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Nice review! I smoked my only Liga Privada #9 a few months ago and listed is as a "must have" cigar. that was before I found out that ccom no longer ships north. I was ready to pull the trigger on a couple of boxes when they shut me out faster than a cayote in a hen house. I may order again someday as I can't get great smokes like the #9 anywhere in this neck of the wookds.
    Great review, great cigar!

camgfs:
    Nice review! I smoked my only Liga Privada #9 a few months ago and listed is as a "must have" cigar. that was before I found out that ccom no longer ships north. I was ready to pull the trigger on a couple of boxes when they shut me out faster than a cayote in a hen house. I may order again someday as I can't get great smokes like the #9 anywhere in this neck of the wookds.

you do know that there are people here that are willing to help with that right?
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    kuzi16:
    camgfs:

you do know that there are people here that are willing to help with that right?
    Yes, I am aware, thanks. I had great customer service, but when they decided to no longer ship here, the person I spoke to was blunt to the point of being rude, like I should have already known there was a change. That turned me off like a cheap lightswitch. I am over it now, and will consider placing an order with someone's help maybe over the summer.

• fuentejpsfuentejps Posts: 345
    had one last night. had 6mths on it. loved it. not nearly as strong as i expected. age is most important on these imo.,
    fuentejps:
    had one last night. had 6mths on it. loved it. not nearly as strong as i expected. age is most important on these imo.,
    i can see why people will say that especially if you like coffee tones in your cigars.

slightly related...
    anyone have a T52 with some age on em?
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I have a T-52 with about a year on it. Looking forward to seeing how different it is... Have some rats aging too, as I really felt they were in need of age when first released.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    For some reason all the Liga Privadas are overly strong to me. Maybe they use a lot of ligero. However not balanced at all. I believe flavor and balance have more to do with a great cigar than just power. I respect others opinion about Liga Privada but at the same time won't hesitate to say these are not my cigars.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    rzaman:
    For some reason all the Liga Privadas are overly strong to me. Maybe they use a lot of ligero. However not balanced at all. I believe flavor and balance have more to do with a great cigar than just power. I respect others opinion about Liga Privada but at the same time won't hesitate to say these are not my cigars.
    If you have any more and are looking to trade, let me know! These are one of my top 5 smokes and I'm always looking for more!
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    ejenne87:
    rzaman:
    If you have any more and are looking to trade, let me know! These are one of my top 5 smokes and I'm always looking for more!
    Should have came to the afterfest party in the parking lot of my suite, Steve Saka handed out MF-13's for everyone to smoke and he gave me a LP9 at the end of the night.
    I. CAN'T. GET. ENOUGH!!!!! I need to try to keep like half my box for a year... these are just such good cigars.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    FYI
    The B&M near me has most of a box of the No. 9 Double Corona's left. I'd be happy to pick some up if anyone was interested. Singles are listed at $16.95. A bit high for me.
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    they are around just had some toros delivered yesterday to the door for about 125.00 for 10
    beatnic:
    FYI
    The B&M near me has most of a box of the No. 9 Double Corona's left. I'd be happy to pick some up if anyone was interested. Singles are listed at $16.95. A bit high for me.
    way too high. my local B&M has em for 10 and some change, AND you get to sit in his lounge and smoke it while watching TV.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Krieger:
    beatnic:
    FYI
    way too high. my local B&M has em for 10 and some change, AND you get to sit in his lounge and smoke it while watching TV.
    Tell me about it. That's why I buy here.