Home Cigar 101

B&M question on cello

gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
A local b&m I frequent has a couple boxes of punch rare corojo's side by side. same size same identical cigar-one box has cellophane and one does not. I have bought both and honestly can.t tell any difference at least to my palate any way. the cello wrapped are 4.29 and the unwrapped are 2.99. What gives?  Was it the mfg or the b&m's idea to leave cello off? ( Yes I did ask the girls working there and they just gave me a spaced out crazy look -no help) Is there a reason for removing the cello in the walk in humi and and selling those cheaper? Pretty good diff in price for no taste diff. And back to the girls-at this particular b&m- one would think if you owned /operated a cigar store you might just imagine one day someone would stroll in and have a question about .....oh I don;t know... maybe CIGARS!!! These folks have never had a answer to any question i have ever had. There response is always call back tommorrow the mgr will be here. And the aforementioned mgr is like bigfoot....rumors of sightings but i've never seen his a$$. Anyway any comments,reasons theories or if you know the answer would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    No idea about the cello but probably wouldn't frequent that shop any more with service like that.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    maybe I should just go back and  buy the rest of the box and not worry about it huh!?!? yea your right andy but they have some crazy low prices on a couple of cigars I like-mainly Punch.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Very, very interesting. I have absolutely no idea. I couldn't find anything on Rare Corojo seconds or anything. IDK, maybe keep hoping for that bigfoot sighting.
    gmill880:
    maybe I should just go back and  buy the rest of the box and not worry about it huh!?!? yea your right andy but they have some crazy low prices on a couple of cigars I like-mainly Punch.
    Maybe but I usually don't mind paying a little more for better service overall
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    madurofan:
    Very, very interesting. I have absolutely no idea. I couldn't find anything on Rare Corojo seconds or anything. IDK, maybe keep hoping for that bigfoot sighting.
    Yeah, but probably not his @ss.
    urbino:
    madurofan:
    LMAO...you are a sick, sick man.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Maybe for some reason an employee at the shop took the cellophane off and the manager put a discount price on the cigars that had been tampered with? Sounds feasible I suppose. Aside from that, if they are good and have no problems, enjoy the good thing while it lasts. Personally, I'd probably just buy the box outright for such a low price.
    urbino:
    madurofan:
    That might be a good thing, no tp out in the sasketchewan.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I don't know if this has something to do with what you experienced, but I do know that I have ordered say, CAO sopranos from an online retailer that came with cello, but at my local shop they just got some boxes in and they are cello-free. It could be that there are some boxes with cello on them and others that aren't. Maybe a "retailer" box and a sell box.
    Don't know the reason BUT I'm picking of the last 10-12 in that box Monday morning if someone else hasn't beat me to them !!!
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Yea, I would say if they aren't damaged at all then go for it and stock up on them while you can. Any chance I have to get some good smokes cheap I'm gonna jump on it!
  • phobicsquirrel:
    I don't know if this has something to do with what you experienced, but I do know that I have ordered say, CAO sopranos from an online retailer that came with cello, but at my local shop they just got some boxes in and they are cello-free. It could be that there are some boxes with cello on them and others that aren't. Maybe a "retailer" box and a sell box.
    I've seen manufacturer's initially release a line cello-free, then put cello on after a few shipments, maybe because of problems with damage, IDK. My local still gets Oliva 'V''s un-celloed and I think they started putting cello shortly after it's release. I think that has to do with some locals slow turnover rate.
    As to why those punch's were marked down, i have no clue why, but i would enjoy it while i could.
    Now resting comfortably in my humi with their cello free selves-
    Also has about 7 Rocky Patel Vintage 92 cello free but they look like they have been handled roughly-wrappers minor nicks-hhhmm.....take a chance or not....at about $5 a stick
    the 92's are churchills by the way
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    Also has about 7 Rocky Patel Vintage 92 cello free but they look like they have been handled roughly-wrappers minor nicks-hhhmm.....take a chance or not....at about $5 a stick

God i hate that!! Basic B&M ettiquette. You get people in there that come short of sexually molesting a cigar only to put it back and buy something crappy like a (insert stink bomb here). Rocky doesnt let his cigars leave with ANY wrapper imperfections. See guys do that all the time, pick it up roll it around, pinch, squeeze, sniff...like shoving the foot into their nostril, pinch and roll around some more and then put it back. Even saw one guy lick a cap in the store, WT effin F! aahhhhh...sorry guys, i know you guys have pet peeves too...

OoooooSaaaaa...
    Yea Jet I've seen that as well. A local B&M at my local mall has a large sign as you enter humidor and a couple more inside about NOT putting a cigar to your nose and a lecture about how unsanitary that is. When I see some clown with a stick about halfway up his nose I would like to smack him in the back of the head with my shoe heel and drive it the rest of the way up his nose. @%##&!@#% idiot !!!
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    When i see some clown with a stick about halfway up his nose I would like to smack him in the back of the head with my shoe heel and drive it the rest of the way up his nose. @%##&!@#% idiot !!!

We would get along SO well :)
    lol-I believe we do think a lot alike Jet
  • tshawtshaw Posts: 178
    wtf...i have not ever seen anything as anger inducing as someone ruining cigars and sniffing/licking them in the b&m without buying them...wow...i would not hesitate to confront the person if i saw it and probably try and bully them into purchasing it after a stunt like that
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Jesus H. You guys may have just put me off buying cigars at a B&M. Ever.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    Jesus H. You guys may have just put me off buying cigars at a B&M. Ever.
    I know, but when you think about it, where were the hands that touched every surface, of every cigar that you will someday place in your mouth... Ever eat in a restaurant, you can't worry about that kind of stuff.
    kaspera79:
    Ever eat in a restaurant, you can't worry about that kind of stuff.
    Ever been in the kitchen of a restaurant? Unfortunately due to work and having to respond back for warranty service calls, I've been in and seen enough restaurant kitchens to make me never want to eat at one again. I'm not saying all of them are like some I've seen, but I'm not even willing to take the chance anymore.
  • leonardleonard Posts: 359
    Anyone see the movie "Waiting"?
    haha, yeah, that was a good one.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    leonard:
    Anyone see the movie "Waiting"?
    I am an hourly manager at Applebee's.

Waiting is both exactly like work and nothing like work. If any of the messed up things that happened to food in that movie would happen on MY line, I promise you that those involved would not have a job anymore.

I have eyes in the back of my head. I also have enough people in there that care and wouldnt let it happen. If it did, I would find out within minutes. the food would never reach the table. the guest would probably never know that something happened but would still get free food because it took so long to recook it (correctly this time)
    I worked in a Taco Bell for 3 weeks and at a local breakfast shop for a few months(I wasn't cut out for the Food Service industry). I saw some pretty disgusting things both places. Don't stiff a waitress and then come back to the restaurant the next day. There was one guy who ate lunch there EVERY DAY and never left a tip, unbelievable. Also the mayor of our lovely city ate there frequently and never had to pay but also never tipped the waitress.