Home Cigar 101

dry wrappers

Here's my problem.. I have two small humidors.....I have digital hygrometers inside of each and they both show 70 percent humidity......however when I take some of the cigars out, they seem very dry...and the wrappers are almost crumbling off as I smoke them. What's up?

Comments

• DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    dinobelair:
    Here's my problem.. I have two small humidors.....I have digital hygrometers inside of each and they both show 70 percent humidity......however when I take some of the cigars out, they seem very dry...and the wrappers are almost crumbling off as I smoke them. What's up?
    Below 70% is not an issue, a lot of people actually like keeping their cigars at about 65% (my preference)...first question would be have you seasoned the humi? Next, have you salt tested your hygro to see how accurate it is? If you're not familliar with the salt test, here is the info, Salt Test use option #2 (instead of testing 8 hours, I would suggest 24 hours)

Also you may want to check the seal on your humi, try the dollar bill test: Place a dollar bill half inside the humidor and half outside and shut it. Gently pull on the dollar bill, just enough that it will move if the seals not good. If it doesn't move and gives resistance, then your seal is good....What are you using for humification? Here are a few of the best options IMO, if you go with beads my suggestion is the same as a humi buy more than you think you need

How much beads do you need calculator

Heartfelt Beads

Conservagel Beads

Boveda

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    recalibrate your hygrometer.
  • dinobelairdinobelair Posts: 10
    Message from myself.....I am not a stupid person......however I had been looking at the temp part of my digital gauge and not the humidity. I got it together now and have the humidity up to 70 percent...now I just have to wait for all my cigars to condition....
  • gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    dinobelair:
    Message from myself.....I am not a stupid person......however I had been looking at the temp part of my digital gauge and not the humidity. I got it together now and have the humidity up to 70 percent...now I just have to wait for all my cigars to condition....

So what was the rh? Funny story.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    I bet we never get an answer to that.....