Home Cigar 101

Humidor losing humidity?

jfacianejfaciane Posts: 242
I have a small 50 ct humi for storing my infused cigars and I've noticed the humidity getting lower and lower. I have a jar of DR.H gel in there along with a shot glass of distilled water and the humidity is hovering around 63 - 61%. I closed the lid and used a flashlight around the edges to see if I could see light penetrating the seals and it does. Is there a way to reseal the humi or am I out of luck? Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• jfacianejfaciane Posts: 242
    12 views and no suggestions yet? How about some type of sealant? Or a very thin gasket? I just wiped it down (lightly) with distilled water and place a cup of distilled water inside it and I'm gonna let it sit for 24 hours. I'll see what that does and move on from there.
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I've heard of guys using weather stripping to try a re-seal on a humidor. Not quite sure how effective it would be. I think Sniper made mention of it before, maybe he can shed some light on it for ya.
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Did you season the humi first? If not then most of that humidity is getting sucked into the wood. I'd suggest maybe reseasoning the humi and maybe add some weather stripping if it fails the dollar bill test.
    Yeah, I seasoned it first and I'm in the process of re-seasoning it right now. I'll leave it that way til sunday and see what I got. I passed a dollar bill around the edges and all failed except for one side.
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    I would have to see the humi to make sure, but would it be possible to adjust the hinges on it to tighten the seal? I would check that out, or...I would get the weekend deal if all your infused would fit in that humi.
    letsgowithbob:
    I would have to see the humi to make sure, but would it be possible to adjust the hinges on it to tighten the seal? I would check that out, or...I would get the weekend deal if all your infused would fit in that humi.
    I was thinking the same thing. How can you go wrong with a new humi and 10 CAO cigars to go with it? I'll check it tomorrow and if it isn't working right I'll just get the weekend blitz.
  • MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    skweekz:
    I've heard of guys using weather stripping to try a re-seal on a humidor. Not quite sure how effective it would be. I think Sniper made mention of it before, maybe he can shed some light on it for ya.
    +1 and someone I remember mentioned using that blue painters tape to tighten up the seal
    MTuccelli:
    skweekz:
    +1 and someone I remember mentioned using that blue painters tape to tighten up the seal
    Good idea. The humi is doing good right now but that's most probably because I have a shot glass and a bowl of distilled water in there. It been in there for over 24 hrs now and I'll take it out tomorrow to see how it holds up. If not I'm going buy some weather stripping and some blue painters tape. One of those have to work. I'd rather fix this one than buy another one, it was a b-day present and was personalized and all ya know?
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Had that problem last winter when it was really dry, set a couple of books on the top seemed to help too. If your humi is flat topped.
    The3Stogies:
    Had that problem last winter when it was really dry, set a couple of books on the top seemed to help too. If your humi is flat topped.
    I checked the seals today after 2 days of seasoning again and it seems to have worked. I bought that 300 ct and havent used this small one for a while and I think it just lost it's humidity and I had to re-season it again. It's all good now though.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    jfaciane:
    The3Stogies:
    I checked the seals today after 2 days of seasoning again and it seems to have worked. I bought that 300 ct and havent used this small one for a while and I think it just lost it's humidity and I had to re-season it again. It's all good now though.

You're probaly right about the rh loss. Once mine was holding at 70% for a week everything was good and I removed the books from the top and the extra water pillows, etc. It has been fine since, wood must have re-charged and swelled up. By the way, is that 300 count getting full yet?
    The3Stogies:
    jfaciane:
    The3Stogies:

You're probaly right about the rh loss. Once mine was holding at 70% for a week everything was good and I removed the books from the top and the extra water pillows, etc. It has been fine since, wood must have re-charged and swelled up. By the way, is that 300 count getting full yet?
    Haha, yeah man. The 300 ct. is getting there. I can fit about 30 more cigars in there and I'm waiting for the perfect deal to fill her up! Maybe another sampler or something along the lines.