Home Cigar 101

Ashton

bipbip Posts: 483
Can someone tell me what makes Ashton a $30+ cigar?

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the rarity of the cigar itself, the difficulty of growing the wrapper, the name, the marketing, quality of the rollers used to roll the cigar, the consistency from stick to stick, the fact that people will spend that kind of money on them.

• bipbip Posts: 483
    Is the quality and taste worth 30?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i cant answer that for you.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    What Ashton's are $30+?? I think the ESGs are in the $20s, but aren't the rest of Ashton's lines in the $7 - $17 dollar price range?
    I just googled them and went into the first site that popped up. They had the ESGs for 31 bucks a stick
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Gotcha. Pretty sure that they're cheaper than that here. But I've only had the classic and the aged maduro and love both of them. Haven't had the ESG yet.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    bip:
    I just googled them and went into the first site that popped up. They had the ESGs for 31 bucks a stick
    Way too expensive... But thats also the top of the Ashton line. VSGs (my favorite Ashton) can be had around 10$.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Yea, paying that much for one is insane. I personally have had a few ESG's and I always enjoy them, but the most expensive size ccom offers is $25 a stick. They are pricey, but if you enjoy them enough to pay the price, then they are worth it.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    bip:
    Way too expensive... But thats also the top of the Ashton line. VSGs (my favorite Ashton) can be had around 10$.
    +1................Personnaly, I do prefer the VSG to the ESG. However, the ESG is still a damn good smoke. I'd say its worth it at least once to try it, but call or email in, see if they can get you one a little cheaper. You never know, it may be your favorite cigar ever.
    Cool. Thanks for the input everyone. I'll shoot em an email and see what they can do for me for a VSG
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    You guys are gonna call me crazy, but the Ashton Classic is my fav of the line. Didn't care too much for the ESG, and when I say that I mean for the price I didn't care for it, on the whole it was a good cigar, but to me the price was way over par for the cigar itself...my opinion, take it for what it's worth...and it isn't worth much.
    j0z3r:
    You guys are gonna call me crazy, but the Ashton Classic is my fav of the line. Didn't care too much for the ESG, and when I say that I mean for the price I didn't care for it, on the whole it was a good cigar, but to me the price was way over par for the cigar itself...my opinion, take it for what it's worth...and it isn't worth much.
    Dude you never know. Your opinion could be worth $31 an opinion also
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    j0z3r:
    I love the classic too. VSG is my favorite, but after that the Classic is probably the other one I would grab (and not much else from them honestly)
    Shot an email to Tim and am thinking I'm going to buy a sampler pack
  • AQUADGIO1200AQUADGIO1200 Posts: 406
    j0z3r:
    1+ Just had a Magnum....darn great stick.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I've had a few esg's and I have yet to be impressed. Plus adding the price makes me be even more un-impressed. I mean they are okay but no where near a VSG. I haven't had the 23 year yet but I've had the 20 and 21. Both the 20's I had, had a lot of wrapper issues and burn problems. The 21 was a bit better however it wasn't worth the 16 I paid for it. The way I figure it, a cigar must be damn good and be almost flawless in construction to be over 15 bucks. I would say out of all the cigars I've had that are worth the money past 15 would be the god of fire, gurkha beauty, camacho liberty 2008 and LFD solomons. The solomons are really worth the money, they are a very long smoke, nicely constructed and have a great flavor.
  • VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
    j0z3r:

Jo I have found in the past upon reading your statements that you ultimately say what is flowing from my mouth about 10 seconds before i can really spit it out. This is no exception, I agree wholeheartedly. The ashton classic is ultimately my favorite connecticut wrapper cigar of the "mild" category, bar none (maybe AVO but i havent had one in a while).
  • ztanner25ztanner25 Posts: 48
    Vidarien:
    j0z3r:

Jo I have found in the past upon reading your statements that you ultimately say what is flowing from my mouth about 10 seconds before i can really spit it out. This is no exception, I agree wholeheartedly. The ashton classic is ultimately my favorite connecticut wrapper cigar of the "mild" category, bar none (maybe AVO but i havent had one in a while).

Yall have got that right! And the aged maduro is a fantastic smoke as well. Couldn't imagine paying almost twice as much or more for something else when their aged maduro is top of the line IMO.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    bip:
    Is the quality and taste worth 30?

kuzi16:
    i cant answer that for you.

been following this thread, and haven't commented since I haven't tried any of the high end ashtons, but I have to say that this answer to this question sums up the workld of cigars. If your not sure, about something, read reviews to get an idea, but the only way to be sure is to try it. If you don't have the budget, then don't sweat it, its only a cigar.

I will say though, that when I check out a brand for the first time I go with the original lines first to get an idea of what their about before going high end. Sometimes the original lines are the best IMO (DPG blue, LGC sumatra, Diesel UHC) and even if their not it really shows what the brands vision is which will help you identify which high end ones to go for (Like the padron 1000's series for me led me to the 1926 maduro being my favorite). Also keep in mind that Sometime a cigar brand just isn't for you, like padilla for me, Miami is great, the rest are ok, but just have too dry a mouth feel for my tastes, despite being highly rated.

remember everyones tastes and budgets are different, and thats what makes the hobby fun.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Heritage Puro Sol, VSG and ESG's are my favorite cigars from Ashton. They are exceptionally well constructed and tasty. However, I like many other cigars and always believe few cigars are worth of over $12-15. However, you simply can't beat that taste though they are overpriced.