Home Non Cigar Related

New Credit Card Policies.. (mastercard especially)

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
So I'm a little lazy so there is no linky to the the actual story, but the jist of it is that Mastercard is going to bring down a lockdown on tobacco purchases around the 1st of the year. Seems that it has something to do with 1, helping states keep taxes for tobacco, 2, crack down on people under age from buying tobacco, 3, one that I personally think is the case, To Further the Agenda of Tearing down the Constitution.

Now supposedly if the retailer whom you are buying from (online merchant) if they follow the rules which Mastercard specifies then the charge should go through. I'm curious if the other card companies will follow. I personally feel that is one more step in the destruction of freedom. I really don't like cigs, I get massive headaches from them, that is why I don't go around them, but I'm fully aware that if I want to go to a bar then cigs come with that. It's a choice, but when I'm not allowed to smoke them or buy them that's just taking away rights because of a group that deems them unfit or safe. Now there are laws that are passed or passing (come jan 1st here in Oregon) that Ban smoking in bars and such, which I do think is WRONG but then again I can't smoke a cigar in them so I say screw 'em! But the loophole is that cigarbars and smokebars need to fill out certain paperwork to be exempt. I really don't think any of these laws should stand, as I feel that it's an attack on our rights. Though I'm sure a lot of you would agree on that. I'm just confused on how/why these laws are being enforced or allowed.

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    If this is true and goes into effect, I will be righteously pissed. I don't like using a credit card for purchases, so I use my debit Mastercard that is tied to my checking account, that way I only buy stuff when I have the cash to back it up. If they try and tell me I can't buy cigars from wherever the hell I want, there will be more than a couple angry phone calls. Since when did it become Mastercard's job to tell me where I can spend my money and what I can spend it on? Ridiculous.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    adsolute bs and really pi$$es me off. where in the hades does it stop? this is an outrage.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Actually, from what I understand, these rules have been in place since 2002. You will not be affected by this.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Calming down-
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    The whole cigar bar exemption has already happened here in MA. Then Boston just recently passed a new law not allowing any new cigar bars to open (this is Boston only), the existing cigar bars have 10 years to close their doors (when said 10 years is up, the bars can appeal, asking for further extension), drug stores such as walgreens, cvs, etc. cannot sell tobacco (apparently because people go there to get healthy), and anyone named Jim cannot be seen crossing the street on the second Tuesday of any given month, less he be shot 5 times immediately. It's stupid what a puritan state it's become here.
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    puritan?....pure insanity
  • I tried to order a few months back from one company, I think it may have been JR, but anyway, my card was declined because of internet sale of tobacco. I was pissed and went to another site and ordered with no problem. Have ordered from Thompson, Cuban Crafters, Cigars International etc. with no problems so far. There is an organization that you can donate to and join called the CRA which stands up for the rights of cigar smokers. I am sure they are already fighting this but there is strength in numbers.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    dtrdwngs:
    There is an organization that you can donate to and join called the CRA which stands up for the rights of cigar smokers. I am sure they are already fighting this but there is strength in numbers.
    good call there.

there was a thread about it a while back.

CLICK