Home General Discussion

Crazy Question cu in

What are the standard cubic inches for the different size humis. I'm trying to order beads and I have no clue and I'm not home to measure. Any idea...thanks.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    look up your humidor online and find the measurements. theres a good chance that the inside measurements are an inch or so smaller than the outside ones.
  • Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    yeah, i tried that but i'm still not sure. the one i have i got from a friend, not sure of the size.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Ehh, just estimate what you think it is and order twice that many, you can't have too many beads.
    this is true but i have a lot of the 67 but i am changing things up. I want to make a pre-smoke humi out of my older one but bring it down to 65. Don't need a lot for it and I'm trying to stay on a bit of a budget. All I need is about a shot glass worth, thats what I use now and it works fine. It's not a big deal, I can hold out for a while if I have to.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    How many cigars does your humi hold? Try this basic computation:

Interior Dimensions (in cubic inches) = # Cigars Capacity * 7.5

Unless your humidor has lots of trays, or is a dome, or anything weird like that.
    I believe it is a 75 count humi. But I would only be keeping 25 or so in there since it would be my ready smoke. So technically I wouldn't need to have that much in there. I think I have answered my own question with y'alls help of course.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Why not just measure the silly thing?
    I'm not at home and when I'm at home I have just enough time to sleep till tomorrow night. I was hoping to order today.
    basically i was trying to see how small of a heartfelt humidity tube i could use...
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Ah. That makes sense.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Bad Andy:
    basically i was trying to see how small of a heartfelt humidity tube i could use...
    I went that route myself Andy, and let me tell you it didn't work out so well. According to me calculations, which were generous to begin with, the tube I purchased should have been able to cover the humidor just fine, however, in practical use that amount of beads was far insufficient. Of course I also live in a more arid climate, so the minimum coverage may work just fine for you.
    j0z3r:
    Bad Andy:
    I went that route myself Andy, and let me tell you it didn't work out so well. According to me calculations, which were generous to begin with, the tube I purchased should have been able to cover the humidor just fine, however, in practical use that amount of beads was far insufficient. Of course I also live in a more arid climate, so the minimum coverage may work just fine for you.
    the other reason i think it may work is because i won't have that many smokes in there
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Bad Andy:
    j0z3r:
    Bad Andy:
    the other reason i think it may work is because i won't have that many smokes in there
    If you're only keeping 25 in a 75-count, you're going to need more than the requisite amount of beads for that humi, not less. Please don't force me into the explanation. Also, I will echo Jozer's statement about the quantity you need and the amount recommended. I was originally carrying 1.5 times the required amount of beads, and was re-charging them every couple weeks. I'm now carrying over 3 times the required amount of beads, and all is happy.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    I agree with duty, the fewer the cigars in a box, the more beads you will need to do the job right. I have 2 50 count boxes, one 100 count box, or 150, cant remember. I split a pound of beads across the 3. it seems to be the right ammount.
    Ok...so no going cheap on this. I currently have a shot glass of charged beads and a shot glass with uncharged beads in there but they are 67rh not the 65 that I want. So if I got 2 tubes one charged and one not would that suffice? Hell is there going to be that big of a difference in smoking the lower rh, I would at least like to find out.
  • btmislesbtmisles Posts: 125
    Andy, I think you may be putting a little too much thought into this.

the 2% will not make much (if any) differnce in the way your sticks smoke unless you feel that with the 65% you will get a much lower rh (60-62). My best advice is that if you have enough of the 67% then just continue to use them. If you want to raise your aging humi to 70+ then maybe get some of the higher rh beads.

on a side note, I didn't even know that heartfelt made 67% beads. I use a mixture of 65 and 70 to get in that range.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    my 65 beads stay around 67, unless my hygrometers are innacurate, all 3 are salt tested. Andy, just remember this rule of thumb with cigars... KISS
    jihiggs:
    KISS
    Best advice yet.
    j0z3r:
    jihiggs:
    KISS
    Best advice yet.
    dahgummit...y'all are right on that. This is my first few months with beads, still trying to get it all figured out. Thanks for keeping straight on this.

I just got my new 300 ct humi today, its charging now. Man I can't wait. I will just keep what I got in the 'old humi' and use it for ready-smokes.
    I know where you are coming from Andy, I've been there. And the one thing I learned from obsessing about humidity control is that things turn out worse for me than when I just let it alone and maintain when necessary. I had to remind myself that cigar smoking is about relaxation and pushing needless thoughts out of my head, not bringing more into it.

Congrats on the new humidor, post up some pics when you get it up and running if you can.