Home Cigar 101

Coolidors

djbeeniedjbeenie Posts: 469
I know when you buy a cooler it has that plastic smell. I would suspect the cigars would soak up this smell? Is this true?

Comments

• The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    I would think it would foul them rather quickly, not to mention the health risks. Plastic will emit some elastomers, and other good stuff, when new. The cigars probably would absorb this as well as the odors. Yuck!
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Yes, you need to air out your cooler. Leave it open for a few days, or throw some news papers in there to get rid of the plastic smell. You can also wipe it down with a mild soap and water.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    I washed mine out and let it dry in the sun before I used it.
    Light 'em up.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Great way is to fill it with crumpled newspaper for 24 hours it will absorb any ordours.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I wash mine out with a little mild soap, and water. I let them sit for a while with the top off after that. Then I put a dish with baking soda in there for a few days. After all that there's zero smell. I've tried the newspaper thing before, but all that did was make the container smell like newspaper to me.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    I washed mine out with some mild soap and water... let it sit outside for a day, then did the newspaper deal for about 3 days... after that, one more day to air out... that was about 7 months ago... not is smells like heaven
  • Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    No plastic smell or taste coming from my sticks. I set up a cooler in December and all is well. I did a combination of the above posts. I washed the cooler out with regular dish soap. I let it air out for 3 days and no more plastic smell. I couldn't believe it when I first read about setting up a cooler but I am a believer now. I 'm going to need a second one before the years end I think.

Rob
    JCizzle:
    I washed mine out and let it dry in the sun before I used it.

The heat from the sun, UV rays and being open, will probably draw out the odors quicker. The "new car" smell doesn't last very long.
  • djbeeniedjbeenie Posts: 469
    Awesome! Thanks guys!
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I got rid of mine with a soft spoken yet firm lecture to the cooler...
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    News papers work wonders on this! Just crumple, insert, and wait 3 days!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    DSWarmack:
    News papers work wonders on this! Just crumple, insert, and wait 3 days!
    washing with a mild "free" soap will make this even faster and more effective.
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    ^right, I thought that was a given, sorry.
    kuzi16:
    washing with a mild "free" soap will make this even faster and more effective.

Alot of companies probably spray their tools with a release agent before molding the cooler insert. If they do then most of this remains on the outer surfaces and should be cleaned off. These sprays usually have silicone as the basic release agent.