Home Cigar 101

cello or no cello

baknoxbaknox Posts: 15
Ok guys, I'll be adding my sticks to the humidor soon here and have seen a few different opinions on whether or not to leave the celo wrappers on them when u stick them in the humidor. What are your thoughts?? Also, do you try to keep certain cigars away from each other in the humidor? Thanks!

Comments

• rossdavey2rossdavey2 Posts: 979
    I started taking them off, but now if they come with it I leave them on. This is an endless back and forth on here. If you do a search you will find loads of post.
  • edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    I personally like to keep the cello on. it makes handling them easier without messing up the wrapper...
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    on, the way i understand is that cello still allows humidity inside your humi in , but my personal preferance to leave on
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    edelrionyc:
    I personally like to keep the cello on. it makes handling them easier without messing up the wrapper...
    yeah, this seems to be the biggest Pro for Cello because the cigars will still age in the cello.

I'm actually a cello off kind of guy but thats just because its what I've always done and I like the way it looks/smells in there and with a glass top humi it does matter to me how it looks in there. So there's no right or wrong way, just pick what you like.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Ahhhhhh, the "chicken or the egg" question yet again;)
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    I asked this same question some months back. Cello protects from handling, rumaging around and especially if you travel with them or use a travel case. Doesn't affect aging or flavor and it seems to be the popular method of storage. Cigar insurance?

With that being said, in my case I have one storage humi that they are mostly wrapped in cello but in my aging humi they are all naked. I noticed when you open a box of cigars there really isn't much aroma when they are wrapped and I just wanted to try it. I started filling it with unwrapped ones last winter when the rh was low in the house and the humis were calling for moisture. Wood, being hygroscopic, seemed to absorb some of the aroma from the un-wrapped, full flavored, cigars into the wood. The cigars taste great and when you open that humi up the aroma is just short of having sex. No damage to the cigars from rotating yet, but I try and be careful. So I guess I'm half and half, I can't commit.

It's your hobby, have fun with it whatever you decide brother.
  • jfacianejfaciane Posts: 242
    As far as storing different sticks next to each other it's ok, as long it's not infused cigars with regular cigars such as Drew Estates Acids or Java and such.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i love how i am quick to give a long winded response to almost any cigar question.
    when it comes to this question i have three words:

It Doesnt Matter

• ztanner25ztanner25 Posts: 48
    kuzi16:
    i love how i am quick to give a long winded response to almost any cigar question.

It Doesnt Matter

+1
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Not just cigar questions my friend;)
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    ztanner25:
    kuzi16:

It Doesnt Matter

+1
    +1 I take mine off unless I know I'll be aging them for a long time.
  • ScottTDawgScottTDawg Posts: 206 ✭✭
    I keep my cello on (as the others said so I can rummage around without harming the sticks) but have recently started labeling each stick with a arrival date so I can better gauge the age in my humidor. The cello protects the cigar form the sticky label adhesive.

• GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    I keep the cello on for all the reasons already issued but I also think they taste better in the cello.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    For my aging humi: Off
    Daily Humi: on

"Long ashes my friends."

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Store them the way you got them.. Most always with the cello ON.. I hate "handling damage" so much that I save cello to cover the ones I get without covering.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    It's nice to see these questions again!!!

Long answer is that it's a preference, some like how cello protects the cigars and that when the cello turns brown it's kinda cool knowing you've had them for awhile, while some think that if the cello is off it can help with moisture, aging, taste etc.....

Short answer is "The"