Home Cigar 101

tubes?

adrosadros Posts: 216
I just recieved some tubed cigars, I was wondering if I should take them out of the tubes to put in the humi or will they be fine in the humi in the tubes?

Comments

• klgoldmanklgoldman Posts: 176
    This goes along with the cello/no cello debate.
    Some leave the tubes, some don't. I've also heard of people opening the tubes and leaving just the cap off.
    I personally leave them on as all the tubes I've seen haven't been air tight so moisture is still allowed to pass.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Take em out before you light.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    klgoldman:
    Some leave the tubes, some don't. I've also heard of people opening the tubes and leaving just the cap off.
    I personally leave them on as all the tubes I've seen haven't been air tight so moisture is still allowed to pass.
    ^this! I have heard that the GOF tubo's though will mold if left in the tubes.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    ENFIDL:
    klgoldman:
    ^this! I have heard that the GOF tubo's though will mold if left in the tubes.
    GOF tubo's will definitely mold if left in their tubes; Sniper and I can both attest to that

In most other cigars, leaving the cigar in the tube will cause it to age much slower than if it were out; this is good if you wanna save the cigar for a special occasion in 10 or 15 years (most cigars will lose everything in that span of time). It's also good to leave them in since it prevents swings in RH or temp. But if you plan to smoke them quickly, then it doesn't really matter whether you leave them in or not
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    Take em out before you light.
    THATS why i always got a bad burn out of cigars in tubes.

i always keep the tubes closed. if i can prove they have never been opened ever... even better.

but again... personal preference
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I generally would agree with Kuzi... as long as you really have good climate control in your humidor. Tubos are more prone to mold, unless your humidity is low enough, etc.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This made me get up and go to the humidor! I've got a Monte Cristo Habano, tubed, Havana Cuba on the tube that was gifted to me sometime back by a musician friend of mine who travels quite a bit. Genuine Cuban, I've been reluctant to smoke it. Reading this I had to know; is it molding? Whew! No!
    So, should I take it out and give it some open in the humidor time before smoking? If so, how long?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain