Home General Discussion

Sam

kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
http://www.samlecciacigarco.com/

it was only a matter of time.

PRESS RELEASE

text of link:
It is with great pleasure we announce the return of one of the most creative minds the cigar industry has known. Sam Leccia is back with his newest creation and what looks to be the years most anticipated cigar. The Sam Leccia Cigar Company (www.samlecciacigarco.com) proudly presents Sam’s “Debut”, a fitting name for Leccia’s solo release. The cigar nation embraces Leccia like a rock star for the passion and originality he brings to the business. “This is the most exciting time of my life. I look forward to sharing with you, my Debut.”- Sam Leccia Sam Leccia’s “Debut” is a twist of Nicaragua, Honduras, Ecuador and Santo Domingo tobaccos blended together to give a unique smoking experience. Sam’s “Debut” will be available in 3 sizes: Double Rob 5x60, Double Church 7x60, Figurado 6 ½x52. The marketing genius and mad science approach of Sam Leccia has audiences excited about his newest creation the “Debut”.

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Good for him. Not being a huge fan of what he put out with Oliva, I can't get too excited about this...that and the huge sizes. I don't know, the first two I probably won't try, but maybe I'll give the figurado a whirl.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    ROTFLMAO.... at first i thought i was looking at some Gangbanger Eho trippin Knuckleheads sight..... Eh... the Ego is evident in the Self Proclaimed People treat him or look at him with Rock STar Status...... What a Joke.... Come on, Grow some freaking leafs, roll some good cigars and leave the BS Marketing to someone else. After reading several articles about the BIG Sizes fading and the Super Strong Cigars losing ground and the inevitable turn back to more medium blends and complex nuances.......
    I personaly dont think this will be long lived...
    but hey There are people that will jump on Board.......
    NEXT.......
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Redtailhawkoz:
    ROTFLMAO.... at first i thought i was looking at some Gangbanger Eho trippin Knuckleheads sight..... Eh... the Ego is evident in the Self Proclaimed People treat him or look at him with Rock STar Status...... What a Joke.... Come on, Grow some freaking leafs, roll some good cigars and leave the BS Marketing to someone else.
    NEXT.......
    Wait.. you have a Tatuaje banner in your sig. All of your complaints about Sam's site, and marketing could be applied to Pete and Tatuaje just as easily. I'm a fan of Tatuaje, and Pete is a great BOTL, but your POV here seems... hypocritical.
    docbp87:
    Redtailhawkoz:
    ROTFLMAO.... at first i thought i was looking at some Gangbanger Eho trippin Knuckleheads sight..... Eh... the Ego is evident in the Self Proclaimed People treat him or look at him with Rock STar Status...... What a Joke.... Come on, Grow some freaking leafs, roll some good cigars and leave the BS Marketing to someone else.
    NEXT.......
    Wait.. you have a Tatuaje banner in your sig. All of your complaints about Sam's site, and marketing could be applied to Pete and Tatuaje just as easily. I'm a fan of Tatuaje, and Pete is a great BOTL, but your POV here seems... hypocritical.

Thats what Makes Life great the way I see this guys unveiling of HIS reincarnation is not comparable to Pete johnson, I ve met Pete a couple times and in person he seems very Humble....... at least in person.<br. But hey Ill chuck up this as being the first time ive been called hypocrytical In my Life! Thanks for that I can mark that one off my EVIL Side of the card! ROTFLMAO!
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Redtailhawkoz:
    docbp87:
    Redtailhawkoz:
    NEXT.......

Thats what Makes Life great the way I see this guys unveiling of HIS reincarnation is not comparable to Pete johnson, I ve met Pete a couple times and in person he seems very Humble....... at least in person.
    I kinda have to agree with Oz here........ I wouldn't compare Sam to Pete in any way. Pete's marketing doesn't really focus on himself too much. More on the cigars. Everyone knew Sam was coming back eventually. He hinted so on twitter a few times. And, while I guess a certain marketing campaign is necessary to announce his comeback, this one missed the mark with me. I don't really relate to a dude wearin a scarf leaning against a classic car looking like a Calvin Klein model. From what I've heard, Sam is a pretty down to earth guy, but those photos were a tad indulgent.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    meh.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I personally, am excited about this and excited for Sam. As for people comparing Sam to Pete, I've met them both and they were both very friendly, humble and personable guys. I actually got the chance to roll my first cigar under Sam's guidance. I've always seen the difference between the two as Sam being the guy with his hands in the tobacco as he creates his own blends and rolls his own, vs Pete, who has Pepin doing the actual blending and rolling. Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking anything away from Pete. The guy knows his tobacco as well as most of the other guys in the business.

As for the marketing end of it, be realistic. Marketing sells cigars. Sam is already well known in the industry and has always been a progressive thinker (nubs have really revolutionized cigars with MANY other companies following with similar sizes as have Cain with all ligero blends). He has always been portrayed with the rock-star image and has a certain image to uphold. If it weren't for ads and marketing, we might not know about brands like Tat, Room 101, among many others that are produced by other companies. I've always seen that as a big reason 262 Cigars still haven't really caught on. In the grand scheme of things, they're still relatively small and I think a big part of that has to do with lack of advertising and marketing.

Back to Sam: I wish him the best, look forward to trying what he has to put forth and hope to get to meet him again.
    Rob1110:
    I personally, am excited about this and excited for Sam. As for people comparing Sam to Pete, I've met them both and they were both very friendly, humble and personable guys. I actually got the chance to roll my first cigar under Sam's guidance. I've always seen the difference between the two as Sam being the guy with his hands in the tobacco as he creates his own blends and rolls his own, vs Pete, who has Pepin doing the actual blending and rolling. Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking anything away from Pete. The guy knows his tobacco as well as most of the other guys in the business.

As for the marketing end of it, be realistic. Marketing sells cigars. Sam is already well known in the industry and has always been a progressive thinker (nubs have really revolutionized cigars with MANY other companies following with similar sizes as have Cain with all ligero blends). He has always been portrayed with the rock-star image and has a certain image to uphold. If it weren't for ads and marketing, we might not know about brands like Tat, Room 101, among many others that are produced by other companies. I've always seen that as a big reason 262 Cigars still haven't really caught on. In the grand scheme of things, they're still relatively small and I think a big part of that has to do with lack of advertising and marketing.

Back to Sam: I wish him the best, look forward to trying what he has to put forth and hope to get to meet him again.
    I agree that marketing sells cigars. And I've heard about Sam's hands-on approach to cigars. Honestly, the coolest pics and marketing I've seen of Sam in the past were of him at events, rolling cigars and posing for pics with fans. That's part what made me a fan (that and his awesome smokes). I want him to succeed, that's why I worry that this particular marketing will turn off some potential customers. Just my .02........
  • ndhaon91ndhaon91 Posts: 441
    I met Sam on his Cain F Tour stop in Denver. Great guy. And as a huge Cain fan, I'll definitely be checking this out.
    From another forum:

Gang,

Thanks for the well wishes, and the ****-talking. I truly enjoy reading them both. You guys always keep me grounded, and whether you like me, my cigars, both or neither, I am proud to be part of our cigar world.

I take all of the praise and criticism both to heart and in stride. I am not a business mogul trying to just make a buck. I love what I do and love taking risks, bringing change and trying new things.

I appreciate everyone of you guys, as we all share one thing in common, we love a good smoke, and for that reason alone I'd enjoy having a smoke with any of you, even if I go home with less teeth.

Be Well.

Sam Leccia

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A lot of people were really bashing him on this forum. I didn't mean to sound like I was bashing him, just his marketing scheme.

I think it's cool he responded to the buzz. Good or bad. Like I said, I hear nothing bud good things about the guy being "down to earth"....... but luxury cars, private jets and designer clothes? Come back down, Sam. You've already got a huge following. I'd hate to see you lose some fans.
    lilwing88:
    From another forum:

Gang,

Thanks for the well wishes, and the ****-talking. I truly enjoy reading them both. You guys always keep me grounded, and whether you like me, my cigars, both or neither, I am proud to be part of our cigar world.

I take all of the praise and criticism both to heart and in stride. I am not a business mogul trying to just make a buck. I love what I do and love taking risks, bringing change and trying new things.

I appreciate everyone of you guys, as we all share one thing in common, we love a good smoke, and for that reason alone I'd enjoy having a smoke with any of you, even if I go home with less teeth.

Be Well.

Sam Leccia

A lot of people were really bashing him on this forum. I didn't mean to sound like I was bashing him, just his marketing scheme.

I think it's cool he responded to the buzz. Good or bad. Like I said, I hear nothing bud good things about the guy being "down to earth"....... but luxury cars, private jets and designer clothes? Come back down, Sam. You've already got a huge following. I'd hate to see you lose some fans.

Was I bashing him? Just constructive Criticism.... Not sure if he was the one that actually wrote that , hell i could have posed as Him ! LOL Its the interent Rotflmao... thansk for the Post LIL ... it is cool these guys here US at any rate.
    Redtailhawkoz:
    lilwing88:
    From another forum:

Gang,

Be Well.

Sam Leccia

Was I bashing him? Just constructive Criticism.... Not sure if he was the one that actually wrote that , hell i could have posed as Him ! LOL Its the interent Rotflmao... thansk for the Post LIL ... it is cool these guys here US at any rate.
    Oh no, Oz..... I meant the folks on the other forum were doing the bashing. You kept it clean bro.

And true...... It could have been someone posting as Sam. But it seemed legit.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    http://www.samlecciacigarco.com/

it was only a matter of time.

PRESS RELEASE

text of link:
    It is with great pleasure we announce the return of one of the most creative minds the cigar industry has known. Sam Leccia is back with his newest creation and what looks to be the years most anticipated cigar. The Sam Leccia Cigar Company (www.samlecciacigarco.com) proudly presents Sam’s “Debut”, a fitting name for Leccia’s solo release. The cigar nation embraces Leccia like a rock star for the passion and originality he brings to the business. “This is the most exciting time of my life. I look forward to sharing with you, my Debut.”- Sam Leccia Sam Leccia’s “Debut” is a twist of Nicaragua, Honduras, Ecuador and Santo Domingo tobaccos blended together to give a unique smoking experience. Sam’s “Debut” will be available in 3 sizes: Double Rob 5x60, Double Church 7x60, Figurado 6 ½x52. The marketing genius and mad science approach of Sam Leccia has audiences excited about his newest creation the “Debut”.
    true...only a matter of time.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Does he make cigars or does he sing for Creed? Looking at the pictures, I couldn't tell the difference...
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Redtailhawkoz:

Pretty sure it was really him, since he is pretty active in new media cigar stuff, like Pete :P
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ive seen him post on other forums as well. i think i know what forum you were talking about lilwing... i just joined there as well. its a less active forum but seems to have a solid active core of people.
    From the other forum:

Yo,

Just wanted to pass a note and let you in on a few things. I don't feel I have to, but I want to because quite frankly I think some of you have the wrong perception. Like I said before, I don't care if you don't like me, my cigars, or both, but I'd rather you like/not like me for who I am rather than what I am not.

"down to Earth"? I don't know man, I cut my grass and take out the trash just like I would imagine most of you do. I am certainly not made of money or consider myself any sort of celebrity. There has never been paparazzi on my lawn, and I certainly don't get bothered at the grocery store or the mall. I also doubt anyone tells Kid Rock that he looks like Sam Leccia. I'm just being real, guys.

The photo-shoot/Press-release/ads they are just that. The photo shoot was an absolute blast. I wish it was video-taped because you would have enjoyed it. We did this on Sunday, 3 days ago. it was unplanned, unorganized and unprofessional. It was 4 guys, a camera and a mission. The shoot looks like a $10,000 shoot and all it cost was the beers we drank afterwards. They were taken in my home town of Elizabeth, Pa. I have been fishing under that bridge in one of the shots for over 30 years. The car was a buddy's 53 chevy and the 2 engine prop plane (not a private jet) we basically "borrowed" without permission. One of the guys at the mini airport really hooked us up. We probably broke all kinds of TSA and FAA laws, but we got it done. I really wanted a classic car in the shoot because I am a classic car freak. My dad used to take me to cars shows all the time as a kid, and I have been fortunate to have owned some classics over the years. The plane? Well besides looking totally badass, I live half my life on a plane, so it was only fitting.

I have sacrificed and struggled through this industry. I have missed so many of my 3 kids birthdays, school plays, soccer games, and sadly some hospital visits. Why? To provide brother. My passion runs deeper than the leaf. I have a team at home counting on me, and I am not about to let them down.

I get to do what I love for a living. I make cigars. How cool is that? I do not profess to be "bigger" or "better" than anybody. I'm still a rookie compared to most of the guys in this business, and I respect every single one of them. I still get star struck around some of them. They are my idols. Sure I am different and do things different. That's who I am. I am a nonconformist by nature. I like to do things with my approach to them. I turned my hobby into my life and there is no turning back. I just launched my first company in any format, and I couldn't be more excited. There will be more struggles, more sacrifices and hopefully more reward. I want my 3 kids to be taken care of. I hope that someday my work will help their kids to be taken care of. That's my ultimate goal anyway. My family is the most important thing to me and having the past 6 months to spend with them has been awesome and really helped me realize that even more.

I don't mind dropping my guard and "letting you in" that's who I am. I am not petitioning for your dollar or your friendship, just showing you what I am about. I'm as real as it gets.

I am not going to come on here every time someone makes a post that's not in my favor either. I do listen though. I have been playing with some smaller ring sizes as well. I actually enjoy the smack-talking, and trust me I can dish it out with the best of them.

As smokers we have so many things against us, I would much rather focus on what unites us, rather than what tears us down.

But it's time to get back to work.

Smoke On.

Sam
  • djbeeniedjbeenie Posts: 469
    Unthought_Known:
    Does he make cigars or does he sing for Creed? Looking at the pictures, I couldn't tell the difference...
    Funny I thought it was Kid Rock. lol
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    I'm not blown away with the Cain lines nor a few of the Nubs, but I'm glad to see him back in the game. Really looking forward to seeing what the Sam Leccia Cigar Company and Crowned Heads (by pre-General takeover CAO's Mr. Huber) will come up with.
    lilwing88:
    From the other forum:

Yo,

Just wanted to pass a note and let you in on a few things. I don't feel I have to, but I want to because quite frankly I think some of you have the wrong perception. Like I said before, I don't care if you don't like me, my cigars, or both, but I'd rather you like/not like me for who I am rather than what I am not.

"down to Earth"? I don't know man, I cut my grass and take out the trash just like I would imagine most of you do. I am certainly not made of money or consider myself any sort of celebrity. There has never been paparazzi on my lawn, and I certainly don't get bothered at the grocery store or the mall. I also doubt anyone tells Kid Rock that he looks like Sam Leccia. I'm just being real, guys.

The photo-shoot/Press-release/ads they are just that. The photo shoot was an absolute blast. I wish it was video-taped because you would have enjoyed it. We did this on Sunday, 3 days ago. it was unplanned, unorganized and unprofessional. It was 4 guys, a camera and a mission. The shoot looks like a $10,000 shoot and all it cost was the beers we drank afterwards. They were taken in my home town of Elizabeth, Pa. I have been fishing under that bridge in one of the shots for over 30 years. The car was a buddy's 53 chevy and the 2 engine prop plane (not a private jet) we basically "borrowed" without permission. One of the guys at the mini airport really hooked us up. We probably broke all kinds of TSA and FAA laws, but we got it done. I really wanted a classic car in the shoot because I am a classic car freak. My dad used to take me to cars shows all the time as a kid, and I have been fortunate to have owned some classics over the years. The plane? Well besides looking totally badass, I live half my life on a plane, so it was only fitting.

I have sacrificed and struggled through this industry. I have missed so many of my 3 kids birthdays, school plays, soccer games, and sadly some hospital visits. Why? To provide brother. My passion runs deeper than the leaf. I have a team at home counting on me, and I am not about to let them down.

I get to do what I love for a living. I make cigars. How cool is that? I do not profess to be "bigger" or "better" than anybody. I'm still a rookie compared to most of the guys in this business, and I respect every single one of them. I still get star struck around some of them. They are my idols. Sure I am different and do things different. That's who I am. I am a nonconformist by nature. I like to do things with my approach to them. I turned my hobby into my life and there is no turning back. I just launched my first company in any format, and I couldn't be more excited. There will be more struggles, more sacrifices and hopefully more reward. I want my 3 kids to be taken care of. I hope that someday my work will help their kids to be taken care of. That's my ultimate goal anyway. My family is the most important thing to me and having the past 6 months to spend with them has been awesome and really helped me realize that even more.

I don't mind dropping my guard and "letting you in" that's who I am. I am not petitioning for your dollar or your friendship, just showing you what I am about. I'm as real as it gets.

I am not going to come on here every time someone makes a post that's not in my favor either. I do listen though. I have been playing with some smaller ring sizes as well. I actually enjoy the smack-talking, and trust me I can dish it out with the best of them.

As smokers we have so many things against us, I would much rather focus on what unites us, rather than what tears us down.

Smoke On.

Sam

NICE ! Sounds like ME ! LOL
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I haven't said anything hear and I'm not sure why. But here is what I think. I met Sam twice. The first time he wasn't that friendly. Was it nerves? Maybe. Was he concentrating on rolling? maybe. Was he rude, arrogant, not nice in any way? Absolutely not! He just wasn't that personable. However, I got to the even late and who knows what happened. Maybe he was tired. Maybe someone got in his face. Maybe the place was up his ass. Who knows. Then, I met him a second time at the same place and he was awesome. As friendly as can be. Talked with you even bullshitted with you. There was a prom going on in the same complex and he hooked up some of the 18 year olds with free cigars, a lighter and a xikar cutter (don't remember which one). He was as friendly as can be and was truly down to earth. I couldn't ask for anything more. I may not like all of his pruducts but I repsect him and what he does. Now, if he was a douche that is a different story. I like sone nubs. I like the Cain F better than the other Cains, etc... Everyone has a product that a lot of people do NOT like. I love Fuente but can't get into the connie wrapped stuff. It is what is it.

A lot of you are Pete Johnson fans. I have never met Pete and am not that familiar with any of his stuff. I have had the Red and Black Tubo and the Havana VI and a small something or other fron Jeff (sorry Jeff, I forgot what it was). I don't hear people saying much about him. I know that I wouldn't bad mouth him because I don't know him. And I wouldn't bad mouth him because I don't like his products (again, in my case I'm just not familiar with them. it's not that I don't like them). Now, if he was a douche that would be a different story.

I guess what I am saying is: Let's all relax and let the guy do his thing. If you don't like what he is doing then don't buy his stuff but just because he is working hard to do what he loves doesn't make him a bad person. If you only knew how many people didn't like me because of what other people said to them! Then they met me. I'm not the greatest guy but if you treat me right and don't act like an animal then I will treat you the exact same way. To much *** in this world and I don't like to deal with it. I like to chill!
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    lilwing88:
    From the other forum:

Yo,

Smoke On.

Sam
    Why the hell are people bashing him? Over a few pictures he made for his marketing campaign? I swear, their are more important things in life to worry about. I look forward to trying some of Sam's new cigars.

"Long ashes my friends."

• t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    I'd be willing to bet that the same people around the net that are bashing him (and I've seen no real evidence of that here) would jump at the chance to smoke a cigar by a one Fidel Castro, and if that's the case what the hell does it matter what kind of person a cigar maker is? If they make good smokes that's good enough for me to enjoy them. If they're a great guy/girl then that's even better.
    UPDATE FROM SAM:

The wrapper is a dark oily Habano wrapper grown in Ecuador. The blend consists of Nicaragua, Honduras, and Santo Domingo tobaccos.

The cigar is made in Honduras.

I would call the blend a medium to full with a nice draw, very flavorful with an incredible aroma and burns a chalk white ash.

I definitely would say it has a coffee hint to it with some hints of nut...like almond. There is a rawness to it that I enjoy the most. They age very well making the wrapper even more oily.

I love it. I hope you will to!

I apologize for not answering sooner...As you can imagine I have been swamped with getting this company off the ground.