Home Cigar 101

Vaccum Seal Cigars

RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
Need a liitle help with this. Received some cigars that have been vaccum sealed. With the humidification on the outside of the package. One, is that okay to do, I've never seen that. Two, is it okay to leave them sealed. Reason I ask, is because I'm packing everything and it could just stay like that. My guess is to take them out but, like I said. I've never gotten any like this before.

Comments

• mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    I've never seen that either. I would, at the very least, put a little hole in the wrapper to let humdification in. If there's no air transfer then I think it would be difficult to get the humidity in, thats kinda of the whole point to vaccum sealing something, right?
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    If they were vacuum sealed in a humid environment or were at perfect humidity when sealed, then theoretically, they should be fine indefinitely, but will not age. If you're packing and taking them with you, I'd say they're fine as is. No air transfer means no humidity lost or gained.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    ^ I dunno if they wouldn't age; since aging is just the breakdown of the oils brought on by time, I would assume they'd continue to age as normal
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    I would never suck the life out of a cigar with a machine; that's what lips are for!
    Seriously, I don't think putting that kind of stress on any cigar could be a good thing IMO.

• Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    ^ I dunno if they wouldn't age; since aging is just the breakdown of the oils brought on by time, I would assume they'd continue to age as normal
    Yes, but aging also requires a fresh supply of oxygen to promote oxidation, thus breakdown of the leaves. That's why humidors are never air tight. That fresh supply of oxygen through normal seepage and excess every time you open your humi is what helps your sticks age. So yes and no. They would probably age much more slowly and only to a certain point.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    ^ Another reason for the air exchange is to allow the ammonia given off during aging to escape; I would think vacuumy sealing them would prevent the ammonia from leaving, thus tainting your cigars as they age
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Yeah they are fine. There are several vendors that offer this service, and some people find it makes a difference if transit times are going to be lengthy.
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    Rob1110:
    xmacro:
    Yes, but aging also requires a fresh supply of oxygen to promote oxidation, thus breakdown of the leaves. That's why humidors are never air tight. That fresh supply of oxygen through normal seepage and excess every time you open your humi is what helps your sticks age. So yes and no. They would probably age much more slowly and only to a certain point.
    Thanks for clarifying...was wondering this as I've seen people toss this topic around a bit.
  • RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    Yeah they are fine. There are several vendors that offer this service, and some people find it makes a difference if transit times are going to be lengthy.

This is what I figured it. Had to make a decision so, I left them alone. Figure if it came like that, it should be find. We will see, only time will tell. Thanks everypne for chimming in on this. I was tempted to punch a hole in them but, I didn't.