Home Cigar 101

too soon to add sticks?

baknoxbaknox Posts: 15
I've been seasoning my humidor for a week now with a glass bowl of distilled water and the foam humidifier unit that came with the humidor. the first day i wiped everything down lightly with distilled water. a few days ago the humidity reading was 77-78, and for the last 2 days its been between 78 and 80. do you think I'd be safe to throw the sticks in yet? Thanks everyone for answering all my Newb questions

Comments

• smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What sticks do you have to put in there? If its anything good I would say NO and just send them to me instead..LOL j/k giving you a hard time cuz your a newb. I say go for it and let the sticks soak up some of the humidity. You might want to toss the foam humidifier and get yourself some beads..just a hell of alot easier to maintain.
  • you want your rh some where between 65 and 75 i usually keep mine around 68. So your rh is pretty high.
  • Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    baknox:
    I've been seasoning my humidor for a week now with a glass bowl of distilled water and the foam humidifier unit that came with the humidor. the first day i wiped everything down lightly with distilled water. a few days ago the humidity reading was 77-78, and for the last 2 days its been between 78 and 80. do you think I'd be safe to throw the sticks in yet? Thanks everyone for answering all my Newb questions

I guess my first question would be did you salt test your hygro? If not, do a search and you will find alot of threads that give you a step by step process. If you have than disregard this paragraph.

If I was you I probably wouldn't until I got down to at least 70%RH. If the temp and RH are to high you might end up with beetles hatching and that is not a good thing. Maybe try a new Hygro? If your humidor is sitting by an exterior wall try moving it to an interior wall, basement or closet floor. Maybe a few other seasoned members might have some info on how to get you RH lower.

Rob
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Christian_Sapp:
    you want your rh some where between 65 and 75 i usually keep mine around 68. So your rh is pretty high.
    Adding sticks will change the humidity level too. I would put them in and see what happens, and make adjustments when the cigars have been in there a while. But i would change from foam to beads for sure. Foam often gets moldy.
  • baknoxbaknox Posts: 15
    I did salt test the hygro, which is a digital. the temp has been steady at 70. I do have a 2 oz jar of the gel that I plan on using. Maybe I'll remove the bowl of water and see what happens. Should the jar of gel be sufficient for a 125 ct humidor or should i leave the foam one in there also until I get some beads or another jar of gel? smoekem~ i've got a few Ghurka Crests, punishers, Cain Daytonas, Nic Libre, pinar del rios, and one san lotano left, but only 26 total, so if you're in need of any storage, you can send some my way! jk
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I'd get rid of the bowl of water, and put in whatever you're going to use for humidity control (beads/gel) and charge it. I'd watch it for a day or two and see where it's at. It *should* fall to a more reasonable level. Then when it's semi stable I'd add sticks.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russ55:
    I'd get rid of the bowl of water, and put in whatever you're going to use for humidity control (beads/gel) and charge it. I'd watch it for a day or two and see where it's at. It *should* fall to a more reasonable level. Then when it's semi stable I'd add sticks.
    +1. Also get a bigger humidor and a second job. You'll need it!
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    I'd pull the humidication devie out of it. Toss in the smokes and watch the rh. Order some beads in the mean time and just watch the rh slowly drop. When it got to around 65 I'd juice up the beads and throw them in. Sounds like your on the right track though. If you throw the cigars in, it'll help bring down the humidity.
  • baknoxbaknox Posts: 15
    I threw the sticks in that night and since then i've been hovering right at 71/72 depending on the time of day the temp varries from 69-72, but i"m not too worried about that i guess. i see mention of beeltles. are they pretty common in cigars, but only become active at a certain temp or something?
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I say this with crossed fingers and knocking on wood ... Seventeen years and I never had a problem.. I think it is a rare occurance.