Home Cigar 101

help for a noob

hello

i am new to cigar smoking and i recently picked up a few cigars from cigar.com, as well as the cigar.com humidor. (i realize i will have to get a bigger one later, but i am just starting) 

being totally new to this, and i have a few questions:

1. what do i do with the humidor? it came with a black thing, (humidifier i'm guessing) but i don't know how to use it. do i just put the sticky tape on it and tape it to the top of the humidor?

2. i took the plastic off the cigars, is that a problem? a got a few cuban labels, a couple pardon 1926 #6s, and some Sol Cubanos. The pardons didn't even have a wrapper, so i assume it can't be too bad?

thanks for any help, i am looking forward to getting into this art.  

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    You need to season your humidor first. The way I usually recommend is to first get some distilled water, don't use tap or drinking water as it has minerals which can build up over time, not to mention the chlorine factor. OK so you've got your distilled water, what now? If you want to speed the process up a bit, you can get a cloth rag and get it damp, not wet, with distilled water and wipe down the interior of the humidor, to actually season it you should put a small saucer of distilled water in the humidor and leave it alone with the lid closed for 2-3 days. It is also ok to charge your humidifier with distilled water and install it at this time. An important note that I should have already mentioned is that you don't want cigars in the humidor while you are going through this process, keep them in a sealed container of some sort, the bag they came in or a small tupperware type container will do just fine.

As far as taking the cellophane off of the cigars, it is ok to do so, but be careful when handling them, because it will be easier to damage the wrapper of the cigar now. The cellophane serves as a protective layer on the cigar. Something that you should know is that cellophane is not plastic, unlike plastic it breathes, so keeping the cellophane on your cigars will not hurt them, and many people prefer to keep the cello on for the reason I mentioned before.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    As far as taking the cellophane off of the cigars, it is ok to do so, but be careful when handling them, because it will be easier to damage the wrapper of the cigar now. The cellophane serves as a protective layer on the cigar. Something that you should know is that cellophane is not plastic, unlike plastic it breathes, so keeping the cellophane on your cigars will not hurt them, and many people prefer to keep the cello on for the reason I mentioned before.

I completley agree with that. I used to wonder the same thing myself but i move cigars around and find myself digging to the bottom for the stick i want to smoke. The cello really protects the wrappers that can get damaged with normal rooting around in the humi. They will stay humidified just fine.

Padron 1926...shooting right for the top eh!? That's a great smoke! Some cigars, even though you buy singles, will come with no cello. I keep a few old cellos around just for that reason. You can reuse them easily, and you padron's will be well protected. Welcome to the board!
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    welcome klemme
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey Klemme.. Welcome to the group.. The first thing I thought was Yikes !! But joz3r jumped in with some great quick tips. I keep the cello on all my cigars too and keep extras for the cabinet cigars that come without cello on them. I search my humidors often and don't want the cigars damaged. Some of my favorites are ANY Fuentes product, Avo, The Griffins, 5 Vegas Classic, Rocky Patel Vintage 1992, and I am starting to discover the many great cigars by La Aurora.
  • I had never left the cello on before but the other day I passed along a few cigars and the lady I gave them too just looked at the cigars like they were covered in poo. I guess she didn't want my hands on them or something. I since decided to just keep them in cello because the extra protection they get while I rotate them in the humi would be nice. Also, I can't get the picture of her disgusted face out of my head.
  • thank you for welcoming me!

i followed the advice given, and now my cigars are happily sitting in their humidor.

next time i will keep the wrappers! i thought it was plastic, but i learned alot by reading this thread. i am really enjoying the cigars too.

that padron really had a great taste, and i am liking the cuban labels as well. i am just getting into this, so i obviously can't taste some of the little things like i'm sure many people here can, but i figure i gotta start somewhere