Home General Discussion

I need to talk to some Baccarat smokers please...

If you're an avid Baccarat smoker, have you noticed any changes in quality? I've been smoking at least 1, and sometimes more, Baccarats a day, for years. I'm obviously in denial because 6 out of the last 7 boxes I've ordered have been crap--I just kept ordering them, thinking that surely they'd get better... About every 6th one in the box has been smokable. All of the others have had a very hard, black core upon burning. And they taste horrible. I want my old Baccarats back!!! Does anybody have suggestions for alternatives that are around the same price or less??

Comments

• alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    I did try a Baccarat a couple of years ago, it wasn't really my cup of tea. However, I do remember right around the same time having a Leon Jimenes that was similar but better IMO. It also had a sweetened cap, if I remember correctly.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Yea, +1 to the Leon Jimenes. Just as mild as the Baccarat but much better flavor. If you want to step up a little price wise go with something like the Ashton Classic, Avo Classic, Cabaiguan and the Rocky Patel Vintage 1999. All mild smokes with a lot of flavor, but all have very different flavor profiles. It's a good mix of mild smokes to see what you tend to like more.
  • rlh661rlh661 Posts: 4
    Thank you so much! I shall check them out!
  • rlh661rlh661 Posts: 4
    Thanks for the suggestions! Looks like I have some experimenting to do!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    PuroFreak:
    Yea, +1 to the Leon Jimenes. Just as mild as the Baccarat but much better flavor. If you want to step up a little price wise go with something like the Ashton Classic, Avo Classic, Cabaiguan and the Rocky Patel Vintage 1999. All mild smokes with a lot of flavor, but all have very different flavor profiles. It's a good mix of mild smokes to see what you tend to like more.
    keep in mind that the ashton, the avos, the cabaiguan and the rocky patels do not have a sweetened tip. if you liked the sweet tip and you cannot give that up then keep that in mind.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    The milds I'm going to suggest don't have any sweetened tips, but they're good and affordable if you keep your eyes open. 5 Vegas Gold, Gurkha Symphony, Man O' War Virtue, Gurkha Beauty (check the Guerrilla Warfare section), Cigar.com Blue and Purple label, and if you want to splurge a little, go for an AVO or Zino.
  • smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't speak on these sticks personally, but wanted to say welcome to the forums.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Tabak Especial con leche
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum. If you don't need the sweet hit, try Gurkha Park Ave.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I had a Maroma Dulce that was on the milder side of things with a sweetened cap. If you google it, you can find a decent bargain price on it. Welcome to the club...
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    +1 on the Leon Jimenes.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife likes the 5 Vegas Nuggets. They are small and mild, with good flavor.
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Welcome SOTL. I like the Ilsa del sol and Tabak Especial Cafe con Leche by Drew Estate.

Some people like them, others don't.
    One God, One Truth
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Wait a minute.. I just thought of one. There is a brand called Heavenly Cigars. They may be what you are looking for. The owner is a woman, Heather Phillips. and says she markets her cigars towards serious cigar smokers who like the variety of flavors. These are actually quality cigars that are flavore infused. Vanilla, Strawberry, Chocolate, Amaretto, Cinnamon, Mango , Rum, Cherry, Cognac, Honey, Mojito, Orange Creamsicle, and others I am Sure.

They are not crapp like swishers, and are actually better quality than Baccarats in my opinion. Get a sampler and you may find a decent replacement. I have tried them, and Whispered... ( I liked them.) You can find them online, and I have seen them in a few Cigar shope as well.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    Ken Light:
    Welcome to the forum. If you don't need the sweet hit, try Gurkha Park Ave.
    +1 to the park ave.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Of course, you could always just lick the tip and stick it in a packet of Sweet-n-Low.
  • bobojobobojo Posts: 13
    Have you tried the National Brand cigars? I haven't had them myself, but they're also made by Camacho, have a sweetened cap, are less expensive, and from what I've read, more consistent.
  • SamKSamK Posts: 1
    Since personal taste in cigars is so subjective, I'm not sure if this suggestion will be helpful or not. But The Game is one of my favorite cigars, so at least we're on the same page as far as that goes. I didn't find any drop off in the quality, but I've only been smoking cigars for a year, so I'm not sure what sort of time frame you're talking about when referring to your last 6 or 7 boxes. I got 2 boxes around 6 months ago and have enjoyed each and every one. Then about 3 months ago I got a box of Kinky Friedman Sweet Kinky Lady on the Sprint Sale. They're a much thinner cigar (lonsdale size) than I usually prefer, but they have a sweet cap, relatively mild flavor, and are the closest thing I've found yet to The Game. I'd only get them on the CC Sprint Sale, because their regular selling price is $90/20, and the Spring sale price averages $35/20. I've gotten 8 boxes, and have been satisfied with all of them. HTH.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    I'm pretty sure that Flor de Oliva have a sweetened tip, and can be had for a good price. It's been several years since I've had one, but I remember them being well made.
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    BigT06:
    I'm pretty sure that Flor de Oliva have a sweetened tip, and can be had for a good price. It's been several years since I've had one, but I remember them being well made.

Yeah, you're correct. They are good for what they are, a cheap, solid mild-medium smoke with a slightly sweetened cap.