Home Cigar 101

Sumatra/Renaissance

VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
So a buddy of mine and I went to a B&M and they have the Renaissance (sp?). Weve all talked here about the stick vs the Edhe Sumatra and how Rocky gives a different answer each time......My question is, the Renaissance they sold have the Edge Sumatra band on the foot. Is this something new...or just the shop trying to play cigar tomfoolery?

Comments

• jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    had this one the other day image rp also has one called an extreme sumatra image
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Willing to bet they're all the same cigar.

• docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    stephen_hannibal:

I dunno man, that second one, with the Padron band... er padron rip-off band, it must have that special Nicaraguan wrapper from Mexico that padron uses, you know the same high end maduro wrapper from the Nica Libre :P
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    docbp87:
    stephen_hannibal:

I dunno man, that second one, with the Padron band... er padron rip-off band, it must have that special Nicaraguan wrapper from Mexico that padron uses, you know the same high end maduro wrapper from the Nica Libre :P
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Most def not the same cigar, tried both very recently. But still curious for any info about the Renaissance stick with the Edge Sumatra band on the foot........anyone else seen this? Really starting to feel like the B&M is f'in with me.-------------------BTW, Rocky saying the Ren. and the Edge Sumatra are the same is a damn lie. Ive smoke both back to back, and even tried both at the same time once. Sumatra is definately more mellow with creamy and cedar flavor while the Ren. has a slightly more bitter taste with a bit of black pepper in the final 2/3
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I think that shop is trying to pull a little false advertising stunt, which is bs and should be pointed out if its true. I've never seen Rennaissance's with the old edge sumatra band on the foot, I don't think I have at least.

That being said, I wish they were the same blend because I wouldn't mind getting a few of the discontinued Edge Sumatras.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    The edge sumatra isn't discontinued that was all a bunch of crap. My B&M always has them and has no issue ordering them from RP.

As for the Renaissance, Rocky told me that its the same wrapped but a different blend of fillers. I don't know about that bc RP has a habit of making cigars with the same name long after the original tobacco has run out(ahem 1990,1992,1999). Either way the Edge Sumatra is very good and the Renaissance is not too bad. With RP cigars anymore, I just don't want to know much aside from is it good and is it not a "exclusive, super rare, only get it from here, uses secret blend, will magically cure all your ailments, last cigar you will ever buy(until we discontinue it bc no one buys it)"
    Thanks Maddy. He has given 5 different answers to 5 of us who have asked about the Ren/Edge...and I see that continued with you. I think I agree they are similar, but CERTAINLY NOT the same stick at all. Which is the same for the 90 and and 92 obviously, because they were some of the best sticks I ever tried when they first came out. While I like his stuff well enough, I used to really love it. Seems he is "taking the path of the gurkha" more and more to me with each passing year. Kinda the negative when a non-cigar man decides to become a big name in cigars, IMHO.
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vulchor:
    Thanks Maddy. He has given 5 different answers to 5 of us who have asked about the Ren/Edge...and I see that continued with you. I think I agree they are similar, but CERTAINLY NOT the same stick at all. Which is the same for the 90 and and 92 obviously, because they were some of the best sticks I ever tried when they first came out. While I like his stuff well enough, I used to really love it. Seems he is "taking the path of the gurkha" more and more to me with each passing year. Kinda the negative when a non-cigar man decides to become a big name in cigars, IMHO.
    what he said, when i first started rp's are what i started with now i kinda shy away from them
    100% the same for me JJ
    Same with me jj and vulchor. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact the Jesus Fuego left him. Go check out some J. Fuego cigars they'll remind you of what RP used to be.
    777 Maduro-----d@mn fine stick
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    Same with me jj and vulchor. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact the Jesus Fuego left him. Go check out some J. Fuego cigars they'll remind you of what RP used to be.
    Did Fuego blend the 15th anniv?

"Long ashes my friends."

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Vulchor:
    777 Maduro-----d@mn fine stick
    that is a good stick for my tastes though the corojo is better. rocky had better cigars in the past. i was never a super fan but as they slide from what they used to be i am even less of a fan now.
    Krieg:
    madurofan:
    Did Fuego blend the 15th anniv?
    No that would have been well after he left. The Decade was probably his though.