Home Cigar 101
Options

What humidor to get?!?

Hello, I'm a newbie to smoking and keeping cigars..I've smoked graycliffs and gurkhas and enjoy them, I just bought some Man O' Wars and I'm excited to continue to explore different cigars. But to get to my question, what humidors do you guys in your vast experience suggest I buy? And when I do find the one I want, can you just go through the steps for me to get it seasoned and preped for holding cigars. Thanks alot!

Comments

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Hi, Joseph. You'll find some answers in this ongoing thread.

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    A humidor is a personal touch to go with the hobby. As I'm sure you've noticed, there are many different styles to appeal to your personal taste. With that said, there is no good answer as to what you should get, except to say that you should get one that you like. One suggestion is to get a humidor that will be able to accommodate your growing interest in the hobby, you're much better off investing in a large one now than running out of room a few months down the line.

Welcome to the forums.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    First of all welcome Joseph, since you already have the answer to how to prepare/season your humidor, and get one large enough, I can only offer the information that I have had great sucess with a brand called Cuban Crafters Humidors. I have owned four of these and would highly recommend them.. Check them out online. ( cubancrafters)
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    welcome aboard joseph
  • Options
    Thanks alot guys, i'll check out cuban crafters..thanks for the advice, I want to get a humidor that can hold 20-30 cigars so we'll see what happens. Has anyone had a Gurkha Titan II? I'm very familiar with Gurkha and I've had my eye on the Titan II so I wanted to imput. Thanks guys! GOD Bless!
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Josephkalish:
    Thanks alot guys, i'll check out cuban crafters..thanks for the advice, I want to get a humidor that can hold 20-30 cigars so we'll see what happens. Has anyone had a Gurkha Titan II? I'm very familiar with Gurkha and I've had my eye on the Titan II so I wanted to imput. Thanks guys! GOD Bless!
    I have had it. Wasn't impressed but I got them right when they came out so some age might do it some good. I have 3 left I think. I'll break another out in a few months and see if they got better.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    what humidor to get?

THe biggest one you can afford.

seriously.
  • Options
    I now have several because I keep buying more cigars. If only I had just purchased a larger one from the start! I have my eye on one that is about $230 and doubles as an end table. Holds about 500 if memory serves. I just need to research it more to see how well they seal and so forth. When I get to the states, I will actually just drive to the store and test it first as opposed to my usual lazy ordering online and hoping for the best.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    what humidor to get?

THe biggest one you can afford.

seriously.

Kuzi speaks the truth!! Especially if you plan on hanging around on this board LOL! Welcome aboard Joe!
  • Options
    Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    I got a new humi for Christmas myself. It came from a site selling factory seconds for a really great price. Might want to check that out so you can spend more money on filling it up. Kuz is right on though, get a big one.
  • Options
    The bigger the better
  • Options
    I know I know......thats what she said...
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I bought a 300 a while ago and though I love it, only holds about 130 or so. I was thinking about getting a wall unit but then I found a humi that is like an end table that holds about 1500. Basically it has a pull out drawer at the top and then a cabinet with shelves that you can keep or take out. I need something to hold boxes and this will work nicely. Plus it has a plug inside so that if I decide to get an oasis I can. It's like 550 or something. If and when I get it I'll post some pics. The thing is, size. Most of the time I've only been able to find 150 counts, though some are larger. There's a foot locker that you can get that holds like 400 so maybe 200 or so. But basically get them big!
  • Options
    anybody ever look at the gurhka warrior chest humi-man that thing is awsome-comes with 60 good lookin' smokes as well
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I wasn't sure it was a humi, but I know the thing is pretty cool.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    Yeah, I bought a 300 a while ago and though I love it, only holds about 130 or so. I was thinking about getting a wall unit but then I found a humi that is like an end table that holds about 1500. Basically it has a pull out drawer at the top and then a cabinet with shelves that you can keep or take out. I need something to hold boxes and this will work nicely. Plus it has a plug inside so that if I decide to get an oasis I can. It's like 550 or something. If and when I get it I'll post some pics. The thing is, size. Most of the time I've only been able to find 150 counts, though some are larger. There's a foot locker that you can get that holds like 400 so maybe 200 or so. But basically get them big!
    I found the one you are talking about. I was really just going to go for the one that holds 500 but when I read that this had 2 AC outlets on the interior, I was hooked. Montegue End Table Humidor - 1,500 Capacity The ultimate end table humidor. A pictures does not do the Montegue justice because it’s hard to believe this thing can store 1,500 cigars. But when it’s live in front of you, with the sheer size and beauty of this beast in full display, you’re quickly convinced otherwise. This piece of furniture borders on a work of art. Crafted of solid wood with a rich, antique distressed walnut finish, the Montegue is fitted with 2 raised panel doors and a massive pull out drawer on metal slides. The SureSeal technology ensures proper closure and optimum humidity control. - 1,500 cigar capacity - Fully lined with kiln-dried Spanish cedar - SureSeal Technology for optimized storage - 2 panel doors grant access to 3-tier storage space - Large pull-out drawer for organized, top-shelf storage - Analog Hygrometer - 2 Interior A/C Outlets for electronic humidification - Tarnished brass hinges and handles - External dimensions: 24" x 26" x 30" Found a picture