Home Cigar 101

Help with my new humi-jar ?

blazze2blazze2 Posts: 5
I just brought one of those humi-jars from cigar.com. I put about 15 drips (give or take) of some humi solution in the green Humidification device. How long will it take till i have to refill it and, is there a way to test if it needs to be refilled without a hydrometer?

Thanks

Blaise

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    add the drops when the crystals are about 1/3 of the way up... if i am not mistaken.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Honestly, my best advice would be to ditch the foam and use a boveda pack, either 65% or 69%. The jars have a very tight seal that does not promote much air transfer or moisture loss, so a foam puck, even with solution, is going to tend to hold your RH% higher than you might want it. Good news is, with no wood to suck up the moisture, a Boveda pack will last 2-3 times longer than it would in a spanish cedar lined humidor. Good luck.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I'm with Joe. The jars are pretty much mold factories, so you really have to have something actively controlling rh.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    im sorry i must have thought the jars were crystals... i see now that it isnt.
    need to be more careful when i read...
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    I was also told to open them every week or two to let air circulate since those jars are really air tight. Now, if that's your primary storage container, and you stick around here enough, that won't be any problem at all, but if its extra space its something to keep in mind.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:

I also thought he was referring to the gel jars that you use to humidify
  • blazze2blazze2 Posts: 5
    ok, thanks guys, ill go pick up a boveda pack. For now its my primary humidor, but im running out of space! So ill be looking for a nice cedar humidor soon :)
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    That's going to weigh heavily in your evaluation! :)
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YankeeMan:
    kuzi16:

Kuzi probably doesn't even put a cover sheet on his TPS reports either......

• The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    bandyt09:
    YankeeMan:
    kuzi16:

He's a slacker alright... LOL

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    bandyt09:
    YankeeMan:
    kuzi16:

He's a slacker alright... LOL

Kuz snaps his fingers and 2 secretaries appear, one fills out the tps report the other attaches the cover sheet.

When I snap my fingers two **** appear ... wait thats a story for another time ..