Home Cigar 101

humi temp

NightHawkNightHawk Posts: 247
do u guys think 78 is something i should worry about?

Comments

• NightHawkNightHawk Posts: 247
    rh is around 65, but temp is near ambient room temp 78
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I would try to move it to a cooler location personally. If you have a basement I'd say try there and if not, maybe try a closet they tend to be cooler in my experiences.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    ENFIDEL gives excellent counsel. If memory serves correctly, cigar beetles begin hatching around 80 degrees, so finding someplace cooler is a good idea.

• VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
    Id just like to throw in, if you bought your cigars from here or the sister, cigar beetles wont be happening. I only say this because sometimes temperature management is a real PITA in the summer but its important to know that if you know you're cigar beetle free...the temperature doesnt matter much assuming its not extreme, the RH is ultimately the real key. All of this is imo, yet based on experience.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Vidarien:
    Id just like to throw in, if you bought your cigars from here or the sister, cigar beetles wont be happening. I only say this because sometimes temperature management is a real PITA in the summer but its important to know that if you know you're cigar beetle free...the temperature doesnt matter much assuming its not extreme, the RH is ultimately the real key. All of this is imo, yet based on experience.
    I'm not trying to be argumentative, or a jerk, but I've seen guys on this board get beetles from the sister site. More than once. It's usually been a budget brand if I remember correctly. How that all plays out with them supposedly sharing the same warehouse I don't know.

Edit: I should add that it's been a while since I saw the threads, so I could certainly be wrong, but I'm fairly certain it was the sister site.
  • VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
    Thats fine Russ, you may well be right. I should put the disclaimer im speaking entirely from my own experiences. If you say its occured, I certainly accept it has.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cigar Magazine had a great article on beetles a few years back. Basically, it said that beetles begin to move around looking for a mate when the temp exceeds 70 degrees. Tobacconists University says they'll hatch at 73 or above. For what it's worth.....

Marty

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Damm you guys.. Every time I read a post about beetles, I have to go check my cigars.
    I suggest that word be on the forum filter.