Home Ratings & Reviews

Hope someone can help... New cigar smoker questions

So i've taken a liking to smoking cigars as of late.  The girlfriends family is big into cigar smoking and i've enjoyed the few that i've had from them.  I've also bought a few different kinds that i've enjoyed and a few that I really didn't like.  I guess i'm looking for some suggestions based on what i've enjoyed.  I guess the issue is i've never really written down what cigars i've enjoyed and what cigars i've disliked.  I really enjoyed the Acid Kuba Kuba and really hated the Acid Red-Extraoridnary larry.  I guess I enjoy a somewhat mild to medium, creamy, somewhat sweet smoke.  Any ideas or good suggestions.  I would like to start working on my collection and list of likes and dislikes. 

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    make the switch to noninfused!!

try a baccarat. mild cramy and a bit of black pepper. there is a sweet tip on that cigar so it will help with the transition.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    if you like coffee, try the drew estates Java. And like Kuz says, try some traditional, non-infused cigars. I recommend the Ashton Classic line as a great starter.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    The Ashton Classic is a great mild cigar...I wasn't quite sure what to expect of it the first time I had one, but it is a very tasty cigar, definitely one I'd use to make a case for mild cigars. In addition to that, I'd also recommend the Gran Habano #1 Connecticut, Cusano 18 Double Connecticut and 5 Vegas Gold...those are my top, go-to mild-medium cigars, I haven't gone wrong yet with one of those.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Some of my favorites would be Ashton, Avo, The Griffins, 5 Vegas Gold or 5 Vegas Original ( red). As much as people rip on Macanudo, they do make a cigar that can be enjoyed by people new to the hobby, and also have many long time fans. I will gladly smoke one any day. Pick any size and they are consistent in taste and construction.. Also anything with a Fuentes label does it for me.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Rob1110:
    if you like coffee, try the drew estates Java. And like Kuz says, try some traditional, non-infused cigars. I recommend the Ashton Classic line as a great starter.
    I use to like infused cigars, but have really grown out of them. I tried the java line, wasn't impressed. But I do like the gurkha reserves for some reason.. Anyway, yeah the Ashtons are good, actually I can't really say which one specifically. I like the Vsg's but they are a little spendy. You can get the sampler which has most of their cigars minus the esg and maybe vsg. The cabinet series is very good. La Flor Dominicana Ligero is a great cigar, I had the 500 and it was damn tasty. and it's not that expensive.