Home Cigar 101

Box Storage

lonewolf2011lonewolf2011 Posts: 503
Sometimes I pass up full box deals because I don't have any room in my humidor. How long can you safely store a sealed box without humidification? Any thoughts or hints on this??

Comments

• DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    You're not gonna wanna keep it unhumidifed for long, same as any other cigar you wanna get it stored properly ASAP....Do yourself a favor and get a 100 or 150 quart cooler and some beads....just watch out because the cigar monster comes out with that kinda space...I like my cigar monster, we're good friends...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    yeah... what DD said.
    the problem here is that not that you are passing up deals, or that you dont have room in your humidor, its that you need a bigger humidor. this problem is not solved by figuring out how to store more cigars without humidification, but rather, betting a bigger storage container.
  • lonewolf2011lonewolf2011 Posts: 503
    Where do you get the beads and how do you calculate how much you need for the volume of a large cooler?
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Visit Heartfeltindustries.com. Lotsa good info there.

Marty

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    ^ Hearfelt has a calculator for beads required for a given amount of space - whatever they recommend, you should double it.

Use the Heartfelt website for their calculator, then get the beads; if the beads are too pricey, just get some Conservagel beads - same thing, at half the price
  • BlueRingsBlueRings Posts: 367
    $30.00 cooler, $5.00 PG solution, and $2.00 florist foam. Viola, a humidor for less than $40 bucks and will keep about 10-15 boxes.
  • klgoldmanklgoldman Posts: 176
    xmacro:
    ^ Hearfelt has a calculator for beads required for a given amount of space - whatever they recommend, you should double it.

Use the Heartfelt website for their calculator, then get the beads; if the beads are too pricey, just get some Conservagel beads - same thing, at half the price
    +1 on the Conservagel beads. That's what I've always used and my humi holds a steady 67%
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    lonewolf2011:
    Where do you get the beads and how do you calculate how much you need for the volume of a large cooler?
    How much beads do you need calculator

Heartfelt Beads

Conservagel Beads

• lonewolf2011lonewolf2011 Posts: 503
    Thanks Guys! Bought a cooler yesterday and just ordered some beads :-)
  • mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    Sweet, now prepare to become good friends with your cigar monster. :-)
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    mfotis:
    Sweet, now prepare to become good friends with your cigar monster. :-)
    Truth
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    lonewolf2011:
    Thanks Guys! Bought a cooler yesterday and just ordered some beads :-)
    Another soul lost to the coolidor ;P
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    I never thought I'd say this, but my coolidor is almost stuffed to the brim. :S
    Light 'em up.
  • mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    Mine, IS already stuffed, but I cant find coolers here in Hungary so I gotta buy one when I go back to the US at the end of this week.