Home Cigar 101

Last 1/3

Husker44Husker44 Posts: 172
Why is it harder for the last 1/3 of the cigar to stay lit?

I imagine this has been talked about before, but I find I have to take more frequent draws to keep it going

Comments

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Are you getting tar build-up? That'll put a cigar out big time.
  • Husker44Husker44 Posts: 172
    I suppose that is possible. It just seems I like I have the problem with every cigar, no matter how fast I smoke
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Interesting. Not familiar with this. If anything, many people actually smoke faster in the last third, causing the opposite... overheating!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Husker44:
    Why is it harder for the last 1/3 of the cigar to stay lit? I imagine this has been talked about before, but I find I have to take more frequent draws to keep it going
    there is actually a reason. you are not making this up.
    but you may be very unlucky.

open your left hand with the palm facing your face, and your thumb sticking out making a backwards "L" with your index finger.
    this is what the person bunching a cigar is starting out with. they then lay down the first leaf. the tip of the fingers is where the foot of the cigar is and the bottom of the palm is where the head and the cap will eventually be. on top of the first leaf they lay down the next leaf, and so on. as the bunch comes together and the leaves are folded or rolled over one another, the thumb of the left hand comes over and holds the bunch together. when the thumb is applying pressure, there is potential to mess with the alignment of the leaves in the bunch. the spot where the thumb is folded over usually hits about where the band is in the last third. the quality control people in a factory will catch most of the plugged ones. that spot will feel hard. but if the filler isnt THAT bad then it can get through.

how the filler is bunched plays a huge roll in how the cigar actually burns.

when i was say above that the buncher is laying down one leaf, then the next, etc, i mean he is laying down the leaves in a very specific order. and by THAT i mean the leaves that burn the best are put down first (usually viso or seco depending on the blend). then the next best burning. and finally the hardest to burn (ligero )
    as the bunch is "rolled" the ligero ends up on the inside and the stuff that is easier to burn on the outer part of the stick. (this is part of the reason why you get a cone when you smoke.)

with a different draw at the end, it is no surprise that you have to work harder to keep the cigar lit and burning correctly.
    you may notice this more in cigars that have a less intense quality control department.
    i have seen it out of most factories that i have smoked from. there are a few that i have never seen this issue: Davidoff, Drew Estates, and... i htink that may be all i can think of right now.

correcting the problem at the factory level is difficult. basically, the better bunchers dont have problems and have figured out how to not do this. but like all businesses, a staff full of perfect employees doesnt exist.

the only way you can fix it at home is by corrective lights.

• docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    And the Kuzcyclopedia does it again. Amazing.
  • mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    I think Kuzi has forgotten more about cigars than I'll ever know.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mfotis:

And if you factor in his age, it becomes even more amazing.

Marty

• skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Fantastic explantation, kuzi.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    mfotis:

And if you factor in his age, it becomes even more amazing.

Marty

If he wasn't such an A-Hole it would be even better.

lol ... I'm kidding, he is a wealth of knowledge and a good guy as best as I can tell.
    naw... im a jerk.
  • Husker44Husker44 Posts: 172
    Thanks Kuzi. I'll have to keep better track of the ones I have problems with. I do seem to notice it more in the cigars in the fuller body profile, but haven't paid much attention to the brand.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    kuzi16:
    Husker44:
    Why is it harder for the last 1/3 of the cigar to stay lit? I imagine this has been talked about before, but I find I have to take more frequent draws to keep it going
    there is actually a reason. you are not making this up.
    but you may be very unlucky.

open your left hand with the palm facing your face, and your thumb sticking out making a backwards "L" with your index finger.
    this is what the person bunching a cigar is starting out with. they then lay down the first leaf. the tip of the fingers is where the foot of the cigar is and the bottom of the palm is where the head and the cap will eventually be. on top of the first leaf they lay down the next leaf, and so on. as the bunch comes together and the leaves are folded or rolled over one another, the thumb of the left hand comes over and holds the bunch together. when the thumb is applying pressure, there is potential to mess with the alignment of the leaves in the bunch. the spot where the thumb is folded over usually hits about where the band is in the last third. the quality control people in a factory will catch most of the plugged ones. that spot will feel hard. but if the filler isnt THAT bad then it can get through.

how the filler is bunched plays a huge roll in how the cigar actually burns.

when i was say above that the buncher is laying down one leaf, then the next, etc, i mean he is laying down the leaves in a very specific order. and by THAT i mean the leaves that burn the best are put down first (usually viso or seco depending on the blend). then the next best burning. and finally the hardest to burn (ligero )
    as the bunch is "rolled" the ligero ends up on the inside and the stuff that is easier to burn on the outer part of the stick. (this is part of the reason why you get a cone when you smoke.)

with a different draw at the end, it is no surprise that you have to work harder to keep the cigar lit and burning correctly.
    you may notice this more in cigars that have a less intense quality control department.
    i have seen it out of most factories that i have smoked from. there are a few that i have never seen this issue: Davidoff, Drew Estates, and... i htink that may be all i can think of right now.

correcting the problem at the factory level is difficult. basically, the better bunchers dont have problems and have figured out how to not do this. but like all businesses, a staff full of perfect employees doesnt exist.

the only way you can fix it at home is by corrective lights.

What about when they use those roller, binder machine thingys? Wouldn't that even out the roll somewhat?
    yup.

most of the places that pride themselves on their skills dont use the rolling machines.
    some do. Plasencia was using them. Drew Estates does not. Both make good smokes.

yes the machine can fix the issues, but so can a very good quality control department. If a factory has decided for 100% hand made, then adding a machine wont help because they wont add the machine. that really comes down to the Factory's culture.