Home Cigar 101

Suggestions to unavoidable high temperature?

CwizCwiz Posts: 12
Hey guys,

I've been trying to season my humidor for the fast few days and I just can't seem to get it to 75. It seems that it might be the temperature of my room (76-85F) that is keeping it from rising any higher than 65 (which is where it is stuck at). I have two salt tested analog hygrometers inside the box (tested at 75) and they both read exactly the same.

The humidor passed the drop test and the dollar bill test wasn't too bad. (could have been a little better on one end)

Any suggestions? I'll be getting a digital hygrometer soon. My house is unavoidably, consistently hot and the best spot so far I can find is my closet. What would you guys suggest I try to get my humidor to season right?

Thanks.

Comments

• CwizCwiz Posts: 12
    I also just checked my cigars (which I left in the bag that ccom sent me including the humi pack) and it seems that it is starting to crack towards the smoking end. Can it be because it is too dry? I have another cigar where the tobacco itself is actually pushing itself out of its wrapping. Are these cigars ruined? Is there a way to bring them back to life?
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    The cigar cracking towards the end you would light is most likely because of too high humidity. I believe what happens is the filler inside soaks up excess moisture at a faster rate than the wrapper, thus it expands faster and forces the crack in the wrapper. I've had 2 of my humidors sit at 75 for extended periods of time and it hasn't caused any issues for me so far.

Your issue with humidity shouldn't be a problem either. 65%RH is generally accepted and actually preferred by many smokers, as opposed to 70%RH. I think 65% & 75degrees Farenheit would be an ok environment for cigars. It sounds to me like they may be overhumidified from the cracking issue. I'm sure someone else here can offer some more opinions on what you should do but I think the humidor you are seasoning should be about ready.

One other question, what type of humidifier are you using? If you aren't using Conservagel or Heartfelt beads, I would recommend searching online and purchasing 1 pound of whichever type you want. Conservagels are a good bit cheaper and work fine for me. They will be excellent at soaking up any excess moisture and will regulate to 65 or 70% RH perfectly.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    though i agree that 65% is good to keep cigars, i would recommend getting it higher on a season.

what is strange to me is that you cant get it higher when it is warmer out. usually the higher the temp the more easily the air will hold moisture.

if you are till in the seasoning stage i would add a shallow wide bowl of water to the humidor. just set it in there. if youve done the drop test, the dollar test, and you have tested the hygrometer, adding the water should do the trick.

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I think the main problem is that you are using ANALOG hygrometers.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    I would suggest A) getting a digital hygrometer, 2) calibrating it, and 3) checking the seal on your humidor. If you havent done these things already of course. Good luck!

• The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    The Sniper:
    I would suggest A) getting a digital hygrometer, 2) calibrating it, and 3) checking the seal on your humidor. If you havent done these things already of course. Good luck!

Just went back and re-read your original post - I am a moron. NEXT! LOL

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    I think the main problem is that you are using ANALOG hygrometers.
    im not sure how i glossed over that the first time. but i agree. that is a huge problem.